shape
carat
color
clarity

photoshopping and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cleaned my alex - amazing difference. Color change looks even better when I wear eyeglasses (I am very farsighted but hate eyeglasses). But when I recently put on my dark shade + reading eyeglasses, it made such a huge difference! Purple-red became red-red-red. Which prompts this question. When we are looking at photographs at different websites, esp. ebay, we try to assess the lighting - if there tweezers are two bright, etc. But is it easy to tell if a color filter has been used? And how often vendors use them?

Also, I have noticed several vendors making a disclaimer: "stone lookis like the one on the photograph", or "this is the photograph of the real stone", or something like it. Is it OK for ebay vendors to photograph "similar" stones and then send you something else? I suspect it mostly applies to star sapphires or rubies but may be true for other stones as well. And should I always ask if the photograph posted is of the stone I am buying in my communication with the seller?

I am trying to learn more about different types of light used during photography and how they reflect on the image of the stone. Is there any source that you''d refer me to? So that in the future I could also ask vendors what types of light they used?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is never acceptable for ANY vendor to photograph a “similar” stone and send the customer something else. Places that sell mass produced completed pieces will show a stock picture but that is pretty obvious and from the sound of it, you do not plan to buy such pieces anyway.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Lighting is a big issue..even one i still deal with...you have to remember sunlight is the best but many sellers can''t use sunlight to photograph stones..just doesn''t cooperate..ie: cloudy, wrong position, etc. It''s much easier to have a little set up with your own lights. Also..technically if you don''t use the same light to view the stone that the photo was taken in then you will have slight variences(is that a word???) take for instance precision gem..i think he uses or used to use a 4700K bulb..how many of you own 4700k bulbs?? i do, but not many folks have them..i know he can and will adjust the color to make the stone look closer to what it truly is but under a different type of lighting it will look different..now take for instance flourescent light..they are found in schools, workplaces, hospitals, stores, many kitchens, etc....so should i take my photos under flourescent lights? My 4700K? my tungsten? LED? XENON(which is now the most common undercounter light along with LED which will soon be the most common light in houses)? say a customer gets the stone and uses an incadescent light..stone will look totally different...say i photo under my 4700K and they use a flourescent to view the stone...stone will look different...i have actually been finding myself combining lights to produce as close a color as i see..still trying to fine tune it..blue and green look bvetter under flourescent..yellows and reds under 4700K..which do i use..whatever suits the color of whatever stone...the 4700K makes blues look crappy..should i then use my ott flourescent light even though we all know it makes blues look better??? still not really sure how to nail it

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 2:27:18 PM
Author:crasru
I cleaned my alex - amazing difference. Color change looks even better when I wear eyeglasses (I am very farsighted but hate eyeglasses). But when I recently put on my dark shade + reading eyeglasses, it made such a huge difference! Purple-red became red-red-red. Which prompts this question. When we are looking at photographs at different websites, esp. ebay, we try to assess the lighting - if there tweezers are two bright, etc. But is it easy to tell if a color filter has been used? And how often vendors use them?

Also, I have noticed several vendors making a disclaimer: ''stone lookis like the one on the photograph'', or ''this is the photograph of the real stone'', or something like it. Is it OK for ebay vendors to photograph ''similar'' stones and then send you something else? I suspect it mostly applies to star sapphires or rubies but may be true for other stones as well. And should I always ask if the photograph posted is of the stone I am buying in my communication with the seller?

I am trying to learn more about different types of light used during photography and how they reflect on the image of the stone. Is there any source that you''d refer me to? So that in the future I could also ask vendors what types of light they used?
Well, if someone knows what they are doing with photoshop, you will never be able to tell. I''m afraid it will come down to vendors with decent reputations (such as vendors whose photos have been proven to be accurate) and vendors with good return policies
2.gif
. It''s so hard to take a picture of a stone as it is! Those pictures that are accurate of a good stone so often look unreal (just see some of the awesome photos here
3.gif
) that you can''t just arbitrarily say: Oh, that stone doesn''t look real. It''s very easy to just open up the Hue/Saturation editor and slide it one way or another without losing the look of realism.

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Forgive me! A couple more, but I couldn''t resist. I only found these after making my other posts
7.gif

Quite obvious photoshopping:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sapphire-green-blue-all-natural-matching-pair-2-5mm_W0QQitemZ380206576114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item588613f1f2

Not actually sure what they did here, but I''m betting these stones are very dark irl
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sapphire-pink-all-natural-matching-pair-2-5mm_W0QQitemZ140383277623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item20af7ed237

Another lovely comparison video :p You *can* tint video, but it''s slightly harder to *only* tint the stone. It can be done, but takes effort.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/MATCHED-AAA-Natural-Royal-Blue-Sapphire-3-10-CT_W0QQitemZ160405382573QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item2558e7e5ad

heh
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sapphire-blue-all-natural-matching-pair-4x3mm-oval_W0QQitemZ140383277643QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item20af7ed24b

2 "different" photos... this one looks faar too saturated in only the parts of the stone next to the star. I find this suspect!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-20CTS-PERFECT-NATURAL-BLUE-STAR-SAPPHIRE-6-RAY_W0QQitemZ220541350645QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item335949f2f5

Contrast is suspect here.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sapphire-Yellow3mm-brilliant-all-natural-matching-pair_W0QQitemZ140383277611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item20af7ed22b

Aw, I couldn''t help myself. I doubt this is all that helpful, but I had fun :) Sorry.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gingersnap, this is hilarious! "I could buy meself a Kashmir for 9 dollars!"
Whoever these guys are, they are surely doing a nice job!

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 2:45:13 PM
Author: Chrono
It is never acceptable for ANY vendor to photograph a “similar” stone and send the customer something else. Places that sell mass produced completed pieces will show a stock picture but that is pretty obvious and from the sound of it, you do not plan to buy such pieces anyway.

I agree that this is not a very savory practice, but it is the way that some of the largest gemstone retail websites, such as Jewelry Television, do business. I don''t see that the Federal Trade Commission has come down on JTV for this practice, so I guess it''s fair to say that it''s accepted.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 7:19:17 AM
Author: morecarats

Date: 2/17/2010 2:45:13 PM
Author: Chrono

I agree that this is not a very savory practice, but it is the way that some of the largest gemstone retail websites, such as Jewelry Television, do business. I don''t see that the Federal Trade Commission has come down on JTV for this practice, so I guess it''s fair to say that it''s accepted.
MC,
With all due respect, there are many unsavory practices that the television jewelry channels perform, and the FTC lets them get away with it. I would not call those practices "acceptable" by any means, to the trade, or otherwise.

xlent

Rough_Rock
It might be interesting to buy the really cheap gems and photograph the gems. I am starting to photograph gems but I have a limited quantity available. I think in the future, I might buy interesting subjects for a few dollars..as models then resell the "stars" on ebay.
The comparison between my photos and the photos posted by the seller might be interesting. Mine might look even more bad and unreal..:)
Gem photography is difficult.
I had a seller switch a necklace right before my eyes once, in a shop..bait and switch...I paid for the necklace in the showcase.The sales girl took the necklace from the showcase to another counter in the back of the store and wrapped it..When I unwrapped it at home, it was a different necklace..poor quality..chipped included stones and the seller refused to talk to me about it. The seller said it was what I had purchased and he didn't know what I was complaining about..
The "bait" necklace was still in the showcase.
There aren't any new scams in the jewelry business..Filters and colored lights can be used in showcases..and the seller doesn't always allow the purchaser to touch the piece or take it into sunlight before payment and wrapping.
Buyer Beware Buyer Be Aware..that is the number one maxim of the gem trade..

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an idea...I understand that PS allows posting real, not fake stones. But given a multitude of cr...mm...not too good stuff that we all have bought on the ebay and at other places (e.g. synthetic sapphires, fake citrines, what not) - do you think it would be a good idea to post photos of FAKES that we have bought? With a detailed explanation of what to look for? I have a fake star sapphire - would be happy to start the thread if PS allows me to. I think it could be quite interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results