shape
carat
color
clarity

Photoshop help and advice for surprise project for DH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK I finally got DH out of the house for a little while to walk to dog so now I can ask all your advice!

DH has a really cool wedding band that we both love, I posted a picture below (Sorry it looks so dented and dingy in close-up! It's not as obvious when he's just wearing it. Obviously he's tough on his rings and it needs to be re-finished, but that's good because it is going to be part of my clever plan...sorry to digress). It has eight square segments around the band. I happen to have a little pinky ring with five 6pt diamonds in it that I don't really wear--graduation present--and I want to set the diamonds into the center of the squares on his band! He really wants diamonds but I have convinced him that it is too expensive for us right now so he has no idea what I am planning! Yeah surprises!

Ok, so in the next post I am going to post a picture with his ring next to my pinky ring so the size of both rings is the same. Can someone do me a really nice favor and photoshop the diamonds from my ring into the center of the squares on his ring? Pretty please with sugar on top?
9.gif
I want to see if the size of the diamonds works with the size of his ring before I get them moved over, and I can't quite visualize it.

Now the advice/opinions: There's 5 diamonds and 8 segments on his ring.

Do I:

a) put all the dimaonds in the ring and leave the three palm-side squares empty? He is hard on his ring, apparently, so that might be safest, though it means there is a "top" and a "bottom" which will bug him. I could always add three diamonds when finances allow.

b) put four diamonds in the ring with alternating blue sapphires? My ring is diamonds and sapphires so this will make us match, which I really like. Can someone photoshop this option too?
9.gif
This leaves one left-over diamond, what do I do with that??

c) other options? Are these 6pters too small? Should I wait until we can afford larger diamonds for his ring?

Thanks for your advice and photoshop help!!

35.gif
DD

dreamerhubby2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is his ring next to my ring with the diamonds I would like photoshopped into the squares on his ring!

dreamerhubby1.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of alternating diamonds and sapphires to match yours. Assuming, of course, that he likes sapphires. I can''t imagine that the 3 extra .06 carat diamonds in a matching colour and clarity will be very expensive in the grand scheme of things...the custom work is likely to be where all the money goes on this project!

I wish I was good at photoshop. I can''t wait to check back by and see if someone was able to put together a lovely photo for you!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a photoshopper, but I did want to say that I love the idea of alternating diamonds and sapphires. What a sweet surprise for your DH! From what I can tell, I think the diamonds are perfectly sized for his ring.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 1:46:24 PM
Author: Addy
I like the idea of alternating diamonds and sapphires to match yours. Assuming, of course, that he likes sapphires. I can't imagine that the 3 extra .06 carat diamonds in a matching colour and clarity will be very expensive in the grand scheme of things...the custom work is likely to be where all the money goes on this project!

I wish I was good at photoshop. I can't wait to check back by and see if someone was able to put together a lovely photo for you!
Hey Addy, thanks for chiming in! Actually, setting the stones into his ring will only cost $10 per stone (our jeweler is very reasonable) so this is kinda a freeby project in a way since I already have the stones. He does like sapphires a lot and likes the idea of alternating diamonds and sapphires, so I like that idea too!

Diamond*Dana:that's two votes for diamonds and sapphires! What should I do with the leftover diamond? It will be such a sad lonely little guy.

DD
35.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that seems like a good price on setting the stones! It''ll be so pretty when it''s finished.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of setting the diamonds with the sapphires! I would take the extra diamond and put it in a small plastic bag, set away in a safe spot just incase, at some point, he does loose one.

I am not a pro at photoshop like so many people...but the idea/look you''re going for is pretty common these days, and while you may not find the "exact" ring you''re invisioning...trust it will look awesome!

Cant wait to see pictures!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 2:50:06 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I love the idea of setting the diamonds with the sapphires! I would take the extra diamond and put it in a small plastic bag, set away in a safe spot just incase, at some point, he does loose one.
italianhaircolor: good point, I never thought of that, it might be useful to have that extra stone just in case.

I do think it will look great, but I am not totally sure whether the alternating diamonds and sappires will look too "busy"?? I guess I''m still hoping some nice person with photoshop skills will chime in and work some magic so I can be sure!

DD
35.gif

heather318

Shiny_Rock
Ok, here is my really TERRIBLE attempt to help.. I hope for your sake someone else comes along and can make you a much better picture!

The problem I had was trying to get the diamonds from your ring on there because the angle doesn''t allow a completely round diamond to be copied over to the ring..

photoshop with diamonds.jpg

heather318

Shiny_Rock
Here is what it would look like with sapphires alternating.. Once again, really terrible attempt!

photoshop with sapphire.jpg

heather318

Shiny_Rock
This isn't exactly like the ring you have, but it kinda gives an idea of what it might look like.. It's from Signed Pieces and is 0.54 ctw with 6 diamonds, so that would make them 0.09 each.. The ring is 6mm wide..

13806.jpg

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Here is another attempt. The saph is 6point, but from the internet so it may be a little off scale.

dreamerhubby1 copy.jpg

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Version 2. I love the saph and diamond alternating idea. You will match each other! BTW this is a great surprise.

dreamerhubby1 copy2.jpg

heather318

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 3:28:41 PM
Author: tickintime
Here is another attempt. The saph is 6point, but from the internet so it may be a little off scale.

Much better than mine!!

tickintime

Rough_Rock
I tried to make the right diamond look like it was set, and not floating, but using your stones, it looked bad.

EDIT: option 3 seems to be getting no responses... I love diamonds and want something a little bigger for my ring, but I think this ring with these stones, would look perfect. Not to mention the sentimental value that these carry, as they were once yours.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
heather and tickintime thanks so much! I can see that it wasn''t easy with my stones. I think that heather''s shows the size in the right proportions and maybe the darker color of the sapphire''s I would choose, but tickingtime''s looks most "realistic," so between the two I totally can picture what it would look like! Thanks soo soo soooooo much
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I am going to have to see how much those little bitty sapphire''s will cost. I can''t imagine they will be very expensive, I''d like my total budget to come in around $150 bucks for the sapphires, re-setting, and refinishing. I''m planning to "borrow" his ring to take it in for "refinishing" and sneak the stones in then. Our anniversary in is May, but we are going to a wedding in the Dominican Republic in April, so I will give it to him as an early anniversary gift right before we go on our trip! We got engaged in April two years ago, so this time I will give HIM a ring in April!

DD
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results