shape
carat
color
clarity

photos of poorly set diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I just picked up my ering today, and noticed that the diamond could have been set better in the half bezel. Photos to follow later if I can get any good ones. The part of the bezel on the crown of the diamond is a little thicker at one side of one of the half bezels. The jeweller said they can fix that, but I''m having the appraisal updated and getting the ring insured first in case there are any mishaps. Also, when I inspected it carefully under the loupe, I saw a bit of a gap between the bottom of the girdle and the metal, though the metal holds the diamond firmly just a little bit further down the pavillion.

I''d be very interested to see photos of good vs bad prongs and more importantly good vs bad half-bezel setting jobs. My ring just doesn''t look as good as some of the others in the jewelers display cabinet. Less squared off on top of the half bezel (which I like the look of) and more rounded. And a bit less even somehow. I hope the problems can still be fixed. Of course I know no one else except the appraiser will ever notice the problems, but I''m very picky!

Thanks!
Drk

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can get a good picture of your ering, please post it so we can see what the problem is.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not the best photographer, and don't even have a loupe to try out, so this is the best I can do with my Swiss Army knife magnifying glass. I hope it's enough for you guys to get the gist of my concerns. The ring itself I like, but I don't think the setter did the best job - and this was the more expensive "microscope setter" that the jeweller recommended who could do a really careful job setting the stone so that the feather that broke the surface on the pavillion side near the girdle wouldn't extend further.

I know I'm a perfectionist, but I think everyone here will likely understand and not think I'm crazy. The jeweler is probably really sick of me by now!

Thanks,
Drk

Edited to add, the arrow pointing to the left on the top right photo should point to the top right of the ring.

Collage Drk Ring photos.JPG

allan creates

Rough_Rock
You remind me of the time back in the late 60’s when the gemologist at Peoples Jewellers in Toronto was playing around with the microscope on a production lot of hundreds of rings that had been done for them with their diamonds supplied by them, the diamonds were single cuts 1 ½ points each on the shoulders of the rings.

He had put ink on the stones to be changed after being set in high-grade 18K white gold prongs. He indicated that there were large clouds at 10 o’clock and another at 4 o’clock you get the idea.

He must have cranked it up to 40 power and took a tour inside the stones to come up with that information, he drove the poor setters nuts they got 40 cents a stone back then and had to brake the prongs off to change the stones for his caprice.

Just white collar ignorance.

Anything over 6 or 8 power is crazy on metal work.

Allan Creates
ringlock.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results