shape
carat
color
clarity

Photog advice/poll

What would you do?

• Notify them now so they can stop alienating potential clients

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Notify them after you get your photos back, so they don''t get pissy and jack up your images

• None of the above/Show me the results

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I Googled my wedding photogs'' names and what popped up but.. lo & behold... Facebook profiles! Naturally, I clicked. As it turns out, their profiles are not fully protected from non-FB friends. Worse yet, the contents = ridiculous.

There''s a lot of super-conservative right-wing stuff on them, some of which I find offensive. (Including another local photog''s comment that says something along the lines of, "Send me your gay, liberal, jewish, muslim, and black clients, because it''s clear you don''t like them" to which my photog responded, "Okay, can do!" There are also a plethora of client vents & complaints. If you wanna share all that on FB, FINE. But be certain that your profile/wall are PRIVATE!

My wedding is done and my photos are being edited. Though I like the couple''s work, had I known all of this about them pre-booking, I probably wouldn''t have booked them. I think it''s really distasteful and unprofessional & wouldn''t want to support someone who publicly complained about clients. I''m thinking, however, that they''re 100% unaware that strangers can read so much of their profiles.

Because I still respect the couple as photographers and think their work is nice, I feel like notifying them about their settings. They may think I''m a stalker/creeper. They may not care. But if they''re truly interested in running a successful business, I can''t imagine they''d WANT this info to be on display! What would you do in this situation? (Keep in mind that while I find their private FB conduct distasteful and upsetting, if I put their personal beliefs aside, they''re still great photogs)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
My ONLY advice, if you decide to do something, DON'T DO IT UNTIL YOU GET YOUR PICTURES BACK!!!
9.gif

If it is really bothering you, then I would just not recommend them to anyone that asks. I don't see what notifying them at this point would benefit?

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW: I realize I contradict myself in my post. On one hand I say, "Had I know about this there's no way I would have booked them!" but on the other hand I say, "They're still great photogs..."

I had no problems with them the day of the wedding- we got along great. So... it's possible an uber-liberal chick can mesh with her absolute political/religious antithesis. I'm not so lame & close-minded that I refuse to work/communicate with anyone who has different personal convictions than me...BUT I do have issues with those who publicly talk smack, bash & demean. Most of us are guilty of doing this in our personal lives (myself included), and if they left their smack-talking at home, I'd probably have zero complaints.

So much of me thinks, "Let them make fools of themselves and offend future clients" but the other side of me thinks, "What matters is that my photographs are lovely... and they ARE! So maybe I should help this company out so they can continue their good work.."

Sorry- that probably made my feelings seem even more confusing
3.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t say anything...I feel that if this stuff is true, it is good that it is out there on the web for prospective clients to know about.

BUT, if you do decide to say anything, you should say that one of your friends was looking for your wedding pics, googled them, saw all this, brought it to your attention, so you are now bringing to to theirs. That way you are not the stalker!
2.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 7:27:09 PM
Author: meresal

If it is really bothering you, then I would just not recommend them to anyone that asks. I don''t see what notifying them at this point would benefit?

The only point is that I''m super satisfied with my photos & wedding-day experience, and I think others should be able to have a similar experience without writing the team off because of FB.

Then again, there are plenty of other talented photogs in the area & I owe this couple nothing. I already paid them, after all
5.gif

And I''m still super-turned off by their unprofessionalism, even if they did mask it at my wedding.

Gah... why do I care about helping them? I really shouldn''t.
14.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
You care about helping them bc you are a nice person.

I personally wouldn''t say anything. Maybe they do realize people can see it and just don''t care. Whatever the case may be, its their fault, and it is irrelevant to the work they do as artists.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Just because someone offends you doesn''t mean their work isn''t great, so I don''t think you contradicted yourself. However, if you own your own business, you should be careful how you represent yourself. I voted "don''t tell them" because I think it will eventually get back to them.

However, if you want them to know that people are seeing it, you can always write them an anonymous letter and send it to them. I''ll admit, when I booked my photographer, I added him as a friend on FB, but he declined my request and redirected me to his "professional" FB site. I thought that was a smart idea. That way, his clients can still keep in touch with him and see his work via FB and whatever he puts on his personal page is between him and his FRIENDS, not clients. Maybe you could suggest that they do that.

If you decide to tell them, I would do it 1. after you get your photos and 2. anonymously

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can dislike someone but still like their work
3.gif
Personally, I'd keep my mouth shut. You don't owe them anything for your pictures turning out well - you paid them for that! If they're stupid enough to a) display public racism and speak ill of their clients on the internet and b) have it open for all to see...then, well, they kinda had it coming!

UnderBlue

Shiny_Rock
If they''re being racist, that''s pretty disgusting and if I knew about it ahead of time, I wouldn''t hire someone like that. (I know you didn''t know.)

Don''t say a thing, let them hang themselves with their bigotry. Hopefully other couples will Google them, find this tripe on Facebook and not book them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results