shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Safety Reminder for the 4th of July

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone - I posted this last year too, but can''t seem to bump the thread, so I thought it was worth posting again.

This is just a reminder to everyone with pets, especially with dogs, that the 4th can be a very dangerous time for them, and to take extra-special care to keep them safe. We''ve seen some real tragedies in the shelter where I volunteer.

For those who are wondering how they can best protect their pet, this website has an excellent summary of pet safety tips for the 4th fo July holiday. Nothing complicated or cumbersome, just some excellent reminders of how to keep your furry companions safe. Please, if you have pets, take a moment to look it over.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July everyone!
9.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Great info. And thanks so much for always keeping an eye out for the well being of our furry little friends.
1.gif

female half 2Artists

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
SDL - we get some of those, or more often, the dogs (and cats!) that have just run off and may never be reunited with their families, around the 4th as well. It is dreadfully sad.

People don''t realize that fireworks can be absolutely terrifying for a dog, as can any noise they''ve not encountered before. Its so much safer to just keep them at home, where they can''t hurt themselves or run away. Better yet, if you have your dog as a puppy, socialize them to those noises early on to reduce the danger significantly. We do this with the puppies at the shelter - we have CDs with fireworks and parade and other potentially scary noises, and we play them to the puppies and give treats and praise at the same time, so they build positive associations.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 4:57:29 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
SDL - we get some of those, or more often, the dogs (and cats!) that have just run off and may never be reunited with their families, around the 4th as well. It is dreadfully sad.

People don''t realize that fireworks can be absolutely terrifying for a dog, as can any noise they''ve not encountered before. Its so much safer to just keep them at home, where they can''t hurt themselves or run away. Better yet, if you have your dog as a puppy, socialize them to those noises early on to reduce the danger significantly. We do this with the puppies at the shelter - we have CDs with fireworks and parade and other potentially scary noises, and we play them to the puppies and give treats and praise at the same time, so they build positive associations.

That''s a really cool idea. Any idea where I could find one of those (eventually)? My BF wants to get a dog in the next year or so, and as his old dog was terrified of them, I''d love to show him a way to keep his new dog calm(er) around fireworks.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
princess - I think the ones we use at the shelter were recorded as sounds found on the internet. I''m betting there are sound effects websites where you could download such things and then just burn a CD.

If you are getting a puppy its especially crucial to socialize them to as many types of people/situations as possible, and make it all positive - take treats and toys everywhere, along with the puppy
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results