shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Peeve: answering questions incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock

DH has a tendency to answer certain questions "incorrectly" (i.e.: I ask, "Would you mind helping me move this dresser?" and DH answer, "yep" and proceeds to kindly help me). It confuses me for a moment because I think that he, in fact, means: yes, it would bother him to help me, when in fact he is answering an entirely different question all together (i.e.: "Would you help me move the dresser?") and would actually not mind lending me a hand.

Today, I emailed DH a to-do list I''m working on for us for the house. I sent this message: "I compiled a to-do list for us for the house. Is there anything you want to add to the list, or is there anything I forgot?" and he replied "yep". So I waited for him to respond with his additions... nothing. When I asked him what was missing, he was completely confused and said that he answered, "yep, as in: yep, the list is fine." I''ve mentioned the issue to him before an he''s somewhat aware he does it, but only after the fact.

20.gif

It''s a little thing, I know but it annoys the bajeebers out of me to be confused for no reason. Anyone else get annoyed at this kind of thing?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
LOL

I get confused with that all the time. If I ask "would you mind helping me?" and they say yes, then I don''t know if they mean yes I mind or yes they''ll help.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SO says Kermit instead of Hermit.... I feel your pain!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as I understand what a person means by their response, I don''t have a problem with it. However, it sounds like your DH is confusing you and that would definitely annoy me, at the very least!

If your DH isn''t planning on changing his ways, perhaps it would make your life easier if you started asking questions in a more straightforward manner, then at least you wouldn''t be so confused!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 12:11:22 PM
Author: Haven
As long as I understand what a person means by their response, I don''t have a problem with it. However, it sounds like your DH is confusing you and that would definitely annoy me, at the very least!

If your DH isn''t planning on changing his ways, perhaps it would make your life easier if you started asking questions in a more straightforward manner, then at least you wouldn''t be so confused!

Valid point and a good sugestion, Haven
DH wants to try to change how he answers questions, knowing that people (other than me) do ask questions in various ways. So, I just need to suck it up.
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 11:34:48 AM
Author: dragonfly411
SO says Kermit instead of Hermit.... I feel your pain!!!

That is adorable!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s never going to change
2.gif

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
I have the same problem. My MIL was right, I can never change him. Its been 2 1/2 years now and his yes & yep is never a real answer to my questions. I think its a habit. I just stop asking :). It bugs him when I do the same ( I tried but it was easy doing something you're not used to : )) So, hang in there.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Men are direct. "Would you mind" is a namby pamby way of saying "Would you help". He's trying to be affirmative! Yes! Yes I'll help. In his mind that's being agreeable.

Whereas you are losing the big picture & getting caught up in terminology. If you know he's like this -- why not just be more direct YOURSELF.

Ya don't have to tiptoe around "do you mind" "is it okay" blah blah ... its a bad habit if you ask me. Though I know I'm guilty of it myself (being a ex-southerner
20.gif
).

1.gif

ETA: "would you mind" is apologetic ... cow-towing ... submissive. "would you" is affirmative, powerful. JMHO.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that it bothers you, but your post made me smile
5.gif

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 1:36:16 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
I know that it bothers you, but your post made me smile
5.gif
I''m glad! It''s a silly thing to be bothered by, after all.
28.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Instead of asking a question, DH makes a statement, in a sort of questionning tone. Like "you bought wine" for example, when he means "did you buy wine?" Silly thing but it drives me nuts! Other than that, he''s adorable.
1.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 12:58:28 PM
Author: decodelighted
Men are direct. ''Would you mind'' is a namby pamby way of saying ''Would you help''. He''s trying to be affirmative! Yes! Yes I''ll help. In his mind that''s being agreeable.

Whereas you are losing the big picture & getting caught up in terminology. If you know he''s like this -- why not just be more direct YOURSELF.

Ya don''t have to tiptoe around ''do you mind'' ''is it okay'' blah blah ... its a bad habit if you ask me. Though I know I''m guilty of it myself (being a ex-southerner
20.gif
).

1.gif

ETA: ''would you mind'' is apologetic ... cow-towing ... submissive. ''would you'' is affirmative, powerful. JMHO.
LOL! I''m not keen on submissive. How about "get your butt over here and get this done, now would be good..."
9.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I'm guilty of answering stuff wrongly.....although most folks around my area do that. A lot of Wisconsin people have a different way of speaking. I try not to let it flow into my online talking though. People would be so confused!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 1:44:58 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell

Date: 10/8/2008 12:58:28 PM
Author: decodelighted
Men are direct. ''Would you mind'' is a namby pamby way of saying ''Would you help''. He''s trying to be affirmative! Yes! Yes I''ll help. In his mind that''s being agreeable.

Whereas you are losing the big picture & getting caught up in terminology. If you know he''s like this -- why not just be more direct YOURSELF.

Ya don''t have to tiptoe around ''do you mind'' ''is it okay'' blah blah ... its a bad habit if you ask me. Though I know I''m guilty of it myself (being a ex-southerner
20.gif
).

1.gif

ETA: ''would you mind'' is apologetic ... cow-towing ... submissive. ''would you'' is affirmative, powerful. JMHO.
LOL! I''m not keen on submissive. How about ''get your butt over here and get this done, now would be good...''
9.gif
It''s funny that that''s considered a submissive tendency. I don''t really consider myself submissive, but I do make an effort to be polite. DH and I actively try to be polite to one another (which is kind of an interesting combination with our frequent smarta$$ness). Haha!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yeah. I''m a teacher so that kind of stuff just gets on my nerves. It doesn''t help that I work in an urban setting, so the grammar and pronunciation are lacking anyways!
40.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
FI does this sort of thing too, and it is 100% a lack of attention. He *hears* (or reads) me enough to get the gist of what i''m asking or saying for the most part, but doesn''t pay enough attention to process the syntax and any consequent info.

they scan in, fill in what *they* would do/ask of the info, and respond accordingly.....inaccurately.
3.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
OMG that is so funny. i laughed out loud a little bit. they are so cute. but i do think the reason he is answering incorrectly is because he isnt listening/reading the entire sentence. they think they are so smart :)

has anyone ever heard of mitchum deoderant? well he will ask me to get some, but he pronounces it as mikeum. totally misses the itch part. skips right over it and pronounces whatever he wants.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
LOL, you are very polite to your SO. I simply request "come help me with this"... or "I compiled a to-do list. what do you think?" OR "I compiled a to-do list, good?".
9.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
My dad is like this, so I understand your pain. I have 18 years of training so it doesn't phase me at all anymore
5.gif
It's a wonder that my mom has managed to NOT tare her hair out.

While driving
Mom: "Do I make a left or right turn?"
Dad: "Yes."
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results