carat
color
clarity

Pet Feeder

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Wondering if anyone uses a pet feeder they like - I really need to get one for when I go away for a day or two...

I want something that controls the portions that come out otherwise my cat will eat everything that comes out all at once. :o

And of course something that he can't break into (he has figured out how to tap on the garbage can cover and open the lid).

There are some on Amazon but of course reviews are very mixed - I'm willing to spend whatever money if more money means it works better/is more secure...

Does anybody use one of these that you like?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ, I don't have one to recommend but I can tell you about one we didn't end up liking so it gives you something to think about.

We bought one about a year ago when we were going away for a few days and didn't want to call the pet sitter. I think it was the Petmate Le Bistro programmable feeder. It worked great and solved our problem, but I didn't think about ants. I went to put food into the feeder so the cats could continue to use it for a while once we got home and ants were crawling all over the inside. Ick. We ended up throwing it away. We now call the pet sitter. :bigsmile:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've used this one for years with two cats and no ants:

http://www.petco.com/product/14429/Ergo-Systems-Auto-Pet-Feeder.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Dog-_-Ergo%20Systems-_-436186&mr:trackingCode=69BFE1B0-E724-E211-880E-001517384FBA&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28820618995&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515412955

If you get an auto feeder, make sure you get it far enough in advance of travels so there's time to test the schedule and ensure the amount of food dropped is sufficient for your pet.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
We bought one from Amazon that had good reviews and Cassanova has figured out that if he hits it, it's like a slot machine and he gets some nibbles. I'll see if I can locate which one it is.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for your responses and advice.

I like the idea of the covered rotating "dishes" that Lunemo recommended best - so I will probably try that one first...and if it doesn't work well I'll try the Ergo one that Mary Poppins recommended. Either way I will try while I am here to make sure they're working well. I have to admit I will probably still worry while I am away that the mechanism stopped working, or that the batteries died, etc. :errrr: But I guess eventually I'll get used to it.

My local Petco doesn't have the 5-meal one so I will probably just order it online.

Thanks!

ETA: hera I am so curious to see what my cat does...so far I have not found any feeders where nobody says their cat was able to get into it or somehow figured out how to get the food out...

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Hi CJ, let me know how it works out! I have 2 cats and one of them is able to jiggle the pet feeder a bit. But, I counter it by putting food every other compartment. So... When he tries to push his way to the next one, he finds out that it is empty after a couple cm and gives up. Haha! From my experience, the batteries (4 C batteries) last more than a year so if you replace them once a year it should be ok. I use them every morning because my cats like to eat as soon as the sun comes out and I like to sleep in. They won't let me sleep if they don't get their breakfast. It is an awesome machine!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lunemo - I bought the 5-meal feeder but haven't had a chance to really look at the instructions. What is the longest period of time that feeder would work when feeding twice per day? Would it be 2.5 days? (that probably is a really silly question,I realize there are only 5 compartments, but still want to ask) :bigsmile:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Ergo Systems feeder I suggested runs on electricity, not batteries, so we don't worry that it's not working while we're way. Neither of our cats have gotten into the food holder compartment because it has a Tupperware-like lid on it. The best they were able to do once in a while was tap the spout above the bowl so a morsel or two of food fell out.

If we are going to be away for more than a few days, we have a friend or pet sitter come for 15 minutes per day (but not the first and last days we're away) for a welfare check and play time. We also manually put extra food in the bowl part before we leave.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
We have the one that lunemo suggested. It works well, and our very smart kitties haven't been able to move the cover so they can eat more food.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
CJ2008|1366205547|3428850 said:
Lunemo - I bought the 5-meal feeder but haven't had a chance to really look at the instructions. What is the longest period of time that feeder would work when feeding twice per day? Would it be 2.5 days? (that probably is a really silly question,I realize there are only 5 compartments, but still want to ask) :bigsmile:

Actually, it would be 2 days because you wouldn't put food in the compartment that is exposed. Hope this helps!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
We actually just bought 2, the same one that Lunemo has. We just started using it on Sunday, we feed our cats 4 times a day (we split b'fast and dinner into 2) because sometimes one cat won't finish their whole serving and the other one will swoop in and eat it (and that one was starting to pack on the lbs).

Our cats are scary smart, they haven't figured out how to get it open yet. It's only been a few days but I would think they would have figured it out by now. It's great, after the last feeding of the night we fill the 4 (covered) servings and it's good for the whole next day. The last few days they haven't been waking us up at 4:30 in the morning so that's a plus :bigsmile:

We have a pet sitter that comes twice a day for our boys when we're out of town and I'll probably still have her do that even with this new feeder, but it's a real time saver and now I don't stress about getting home to feed them dinner at a certain time. I know, I'm a crazy cat lady lol but DH is too! hehe

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1366206303|3428856 said:
The Ergo Systems feeder I suggested runs on electricity, not batteries, so we don't worry that it's not working while we're way. Neither of our cats have gotten into the food holder compartment because it has a Tupperware-like lid on it. The best they were able to do once in a while was tap the spout above the bowl so a morsel or two of food fell out.

If we are going to be away for more than a few days, we have a friend or pet sitter come for 15 minutes per day (but not the first and last days we're away) for a welfare check and play time. We also manually put extra food in the bowl part before we leave.

Maybe I should get that one too and test them together and then decide...

And, I'm with you, Mary, this doesn't replace the sitter for me...I feel like with this I'd be OK to leave him alone one day, and reduce the # of times the sitter comes from 2 to once per day - to make sure the feeder is working, water is clean, etc.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alistra|1366236102|3429241 said:
We have the one that lunemo suggested. It works well, and our very smart kitties haven't been able to move the cover so they can eat more food.

Thanks Alistra! My cat is soooo motivated by food...so we'll see how he does.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lunemo|1366250437|3429474 said:

Actually, it would be 2 days because you wouldn't put food in the compartment that is exposed. Hope this helps!

Right - well, I could, but that would be one feeding while in my presence so it doesn't count. :) Thanks lunemo!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscher girl|1366253224|3429520 said:
We actually just bought 2, the same one that Lunemo has. We just started using it on Sunday, we feed our cats 4 times a day (we split b'fast and dinner into 2) because sometimes one cat won't finish their whole serving and the other one will swoop in and eat it (and that one was starting to pack on the lbs).

Our cats are scary smart, they haven't figured out how to get it open yet. It's only been a few days but I would think they would have figured it out by now. It's great, after the last feeding of the night we fill the 4 (covered) servings and it's good for the whole next day. The last few days they haven't been waking us up at 4:30 in the morning so that's a plus :bigsmile:

We have a pet sitter that comes twice a day for our boys when we're out of town and I'll probably still have her do that even with this new feeder, but it's a real time saver and now I don't stress about getting home to feed them dinner at a certain time. I know, I'm a crazy cat lady lol but DH is too! hehe

LOL on your kittie putting on the pounds! Mine is the same - he'd eat a pound of food if I let him.

I'm with you on the sitter...we are the same way...although I think I'd feel comfortable having her come once per day instead of two with the feeder. But we'll see.

Signed, crazy cat lady #2. :)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

With the Ergo Systems feeder, you can go countless days without refilling the food receptacle - it's round and about 9 inches wide and more than 5 inches deep. You can put pounds of food in it and then schedule the amount you want to fall into the food bowl at the time(s) you want. Ours is scheduled to drop twice a day. I can't remember the last time I added food to the receptacle. Maybe a week or two ago.

Although it seems like I might work for Ergo Systems, I really don't! It has some nice features and we've been really happy with it for more than 6 years and two consecutive cats. So cute to see our cat run by with excitement when she hears the food drop.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Hey mary poppins! Now you got me curious about this Ergo pet feeder. Do you think it would accomodate 2 cats feeding from it together?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lunemo|1366333668|3430168 said:
Hey mary poppins! Now you got me curious about this Ergo pet feeder. Do you think it would accomodate 2 cats feeding from it together?

Hi lunemo. :wavey: You can schedule up to eight feedings per day and the bowl is big enough for two cats to eat at the same time, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for two cats. I don't know how you would monitor whether one cat is eating most of the food, but I guess that's the same situation you would have with your current feeder.

I love the Asscher in your avatar. :love: Did you end up getting that stone? If so, what is the status?

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the additional info on the pet feeder! I might give it a try when I need to replace mine!

Yes I got the asscher! It is being set (simple solitaire) by LM now and I should have it by 4/30! 8)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lunemo - Congratulations on getting that beautiful asscher! It should be arriving soon. Looking forward to seeing it in SMTB.

CJ2008 - Have you set up the feeder yet? If so, how do you and your cat like it?

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
I got it a week early! Already posted in SMtB. :twirl:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lunemo|1367154445|3436039 said:
I got it a week early! Already posted in SMtB. :twirl:

Early?! Yay! :appl: I'm going to check it out right now.

Sorry for the threadjack, CJ. :oops:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mary P - I appreciate all your tips/information! I'm kind of lazy to order the Ergo now because the 5-meal one has been working OK. But I promise you, it's on my list.

I've been testing the 5-meal feeder and I am getting more comfortable with the fact that "it works." I'm kind of liking it for every day use, too...like if I know I'm not going to be home, I know he'll get fed at the right time.

Lunemo and Mary P - no worries about the threadjack! Enjoy your asscher Lunemo!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results