shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet advocates, is this okay to you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''ve posted before about my beloved pup Brandy, who is a rescue with a few ongoing issues. Basically I think she has separation anxiety, but she also doesn''t like anything new or any change in her schedule.

Normally we don''t have too many problems keeping her calm and happy, but DH has been on away rotations this month and last month, so it has been kinda difficult for me because she got really used to one of us being home on weekday evenigns. Basically, if I am gone longer than normal (have to stay late for a meeting or to help a student, or have to run errands) she has issues.

It''s gotten pretty chilly here (central PA, highs in the 60''s if that), so just recently, I''ve been taking Brandy with me on a few quick errands and leaving her in the car. There is no way that she could overheat, and I''ve only been leaving her for a few minutes, and it seems to be a much better option than leaving her home alone. But today when I ran to the post office, a lady in the car next to me gave me the dirtiest look, and the only reason I could think of was she thought it was wrong for me to leave my dog in the car. What would you think if you saw me leaving my dog in the car?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
As long as it is not hot, and you leave some windows open, I think it is fine.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
what kind of issues your dog is having if you leave her alone for the evening?

I don''t have a problem with people leaving their pets in the car in mild weathers (as long as the car window is down 2 inches for some fresh air). I would think that lady should mind her own business.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
when i needed to have my kitties in the car... going somewhere or something... I always bring my valet key and keep the car on and lock the doors for them...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as it''s not hot, and the windows are rolled halfway down, it''s ok. I take Casper and Callie with me all the time weather permitting. They love coming with me. I live outside of Philly, so have simialr weather to you. I haven''t gotten any dirty looks.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
I agree with what the others have said. If the weather is cool, she has access to fresh air, and it''s just for a few minutes, I think it should be fine.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree what the others have stated. DH and I take Mazie with us on short errands, during the summer, as it is too hot where we live. By short, I mean no longer then 5 minutes in the car. I am a scardy cat to leave her longer then that. In the winter, we can leave her a bit longer.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Sabine: I think some people may be concerned that the pup has been there for hours and maybe no one is coming soon.
I would leave a note on my window ( probably outside unless you know she won''t chew it up.Basicaly say that you will be back shortly or something like this.Another option would be to keep a kennel in your car and maybe she won''t be as visible.I think people are just caring and not sure what''s going on.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
We do this all of the time. I live in Michigan, so we have extreme hot/cold the same as PA. If it''s too cold or hot, I do not leave my dog in the car. If it is a comfortable temp, I will leave her for a brief period of time. As long as the window is cracked, and/or it''s not too hot or cold, you should be fine. Don''t worry about other people being nosy or rude...

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone!

Lovegem, her issue is a little odd. She gets an upset stomach when she gets too worked up being left alone (we do crate her because we actually found out that that helps by video taping her when we weren''t home, but she never learned to like the crate or go in it on her own). When she gets an upset stomach, she does this thing where it sounds like she is hiccuping, and she starts licking the ground and eventually eating stuff off the ground (including trying to eat the carpet if there is nothing around). We have some medicine for her as we''ve taken her to the vet for it many times, but it doesn''t work once she really gets going. It''s weird, she basically starts doing it a little after someone gets home if she''s been left at an unexpected time, and if we sit with her and pet her stomach (her favorite spot) she can calm down, but sometimes she gets going so much that she won''t stop until she throws up multiple times.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I take my little Silky Terrier with me on almost all of my errands (eating out, grocery store) except when it''s over 75 outside. Even in the winter. I just leave a down comforter thing in the back of the hatchback. It''s still a whole lot warmer than most doggies that live outdoors in dog houses. Trooper would much rather wait in the car as he knows I''m coming right back. When I leave him at home he never knows in his doggy mind if I''m going to be gone for an hour or several hours. Something about being in the car makes him feel like he''s still with me, though I''m in the store. Dog brains, go figure. When I leave him at home I have to crate him because he is a chewer. Years ago he chewed his way through cable TV cords, cat 5 computer cords, and then the final straw, an electrical cord (which thankfully was unplugged). After that he became a crate doggy
7.gif
I couldn''t take the chance he''d electrocute his furry self.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Sabine--like the others here, I am happy to leave my pup in the car in cool weather.

So sorry Brady has separation anxiety--is it just when she''s left at home? She doesn''t have these issues if you leave her in the car, right? I know you obviously aren''t leaving her in the car for long, I was just curious if you noticed any similar symptoms.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all the other responses...as long as it''s not too cold or too hot, and you''re not gone for too long I think it''s OK...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Echoing everybody else, I don''t see a thing wrong with this. The woman in the car next to you couldn''t have known how *long* you were planning to leave your doggie in the car, regardless of weather, which may have been behind the glare ... or, for all you know, she''s just crabby, or you reminded her of her sister-in-law, or something else unrelated. You sound like a considerate pet owner to me!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 8:46:37 PM
Author: Sabine
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone!

She gets an upset stomach when she gets too worked up being left alone (we do crate her because we actually found out that that helps by video taping her when we weren''t home, but she never learned to like the crate or go in it on her own).
Poor doggie! My former dog didn''t like being put in her crate when we weren''t home. However, we got into the habit of turning on the radio for her and that seemed to help her. She needed noise to keep from feeling lonely.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results