shape
carat
color
clarity

Period Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
OMG I can''t believe any dr saying the withdrawal is reliable. Glad you find a new dr, and hope he will be more proactive and helpful for you.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 6:25:07 AM
Author: honey22

Date: 9/15/2009 9:15:22 PM
Author: cara
icekid, she needs a different doctor. if this one makes her feel crazy for being stressed out with having a late period when she was using WITHDRAW and then doesn''t discuss any more reliable birth control methods with her, that doesn''t bode well. She possibly has a latex allergy, she was having a potential serious symptom while on the pill, she needs to be taken seriously and have a conversation with her medical provider to find a safe and reliable from of birth control.

Maybe further test are not warranted, maybe they are, I don''t know but it sounds like she has mentioned other more serious issues in her posts than just the irregularity, and she has been off birth control for awhile.

Ditto, get to the bottom of it.

BTW, many people are interested to know that pre-ejaculate fluid contains a much higher concentration of sperm, so even though you are only getting small volumes of fluid before the big hurrah (by which time you expect him to be out), you can still get quite a few swimmers getting to their mark, and we all know that it only takes one! Wear a raincoat
2.gif
I''m curious as to where you found this information Honey22. It was my understanding that there have not been any studies that found sperm in pre-ejaculation.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 12:06:30 AM
Author: mia1181
Date: 9/17/2009 6:25:07 AM

Author: honey22

Date: 9/15/2009 9:15:22 PM

Author: cara

icekid, she needs a different doctor. if this one makes her feel crazy for being stressed out with having a late period when she was using WITHDRAW and then doesn''t discuss any more reliable birth control methods with her, that doesn''t bode well. She possibly has a latex allergy, she was having a potential serious symptom while on the pill, she needs to be taken seriously and have a conversation with her medical provider to find a safe and reliable from of birth control.

Maybe further test are not warranted, maybe they are, I don''t know but it sounds like she has mentioned other more serious issues in her posts than just the irregularity, and she has been off birth control for awhile.

Ditto, get to the bottom of it.

BTW, many people are interested to know that pre-ejaculate fluid contains a much higher concentration of sperm, so even though you are only getting small volumes of fluid before the big hurrah (by which time you expect him to be out), you can still get quite a few swimmers getting to their mark, and we all know that it only takes one! Wear a raincoat
2.gif

I''m curious as to where you found this information Honey22. It was my understanding that there have not been any studies that found sperm in pre-ejaculation.

A quick glance at a few studies shows that you''re right, Mia. Link That''s an abstract outlining the results of a study from 2003. And another link to an abstract from 1993 showing that while HIV is present in pre-ejaculate, they were surprised to find that almost no sperm was.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in with some IUD experiences.

I went crazy on with some hormone BC pills, I had an allergy to the nuvaring, did not have confidence in condoms after I had two breakages within a short time period, and was not going to mess around endlessly trying to find the *perfect* hormone ballance in a BC strategy- I can''t deal with unstable emotions, weight gain, acne, blood pressure, etc. I went to my doctor, told her I wanted a Paragard IUD(10 year, copper IUD) and she thought it was a fabulous idea. I have had no children, am in my early 20s, and I want no children in the near future. The insertion was fairly painful(just being honest--I''ve heard from some it was pain free, moderate pain, etc--I passed out). I''ve had it for like 10 months now with NO problems.

It''s not cheap... a couple hundred dollars... and not all insurance companies will cover it. If your regular doc won''t consider it because you''re young and/or without prior children(and this reluctance is quite common)... go to a planned parenthood.

Even if I had to pay out of pocket, I would do it again.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 11:48:26 AM
Author: MissPrudential
The insertion was fairly painful(just being honest--I've heard from some it was pain free, moderate pain, etc--I passed out). I've had it for like 10 months now with NO problems.

It's not cheap... a couple hundred dollars... and not all insurance companies will cover it. If your regular doc won't consider it because you're young and/or without prior children(and this reluctance is quite common)... go to a planned parenthood.

Even if I had to pay out of pocket, I would do it again.

Yup, I should echo this...even with my rave review of IUDs, there are still these few caveats. If insurance doesn't pay, they're expensive (mine was covered). And my insertion was the single most painful event of my life. I almost passed out and definitely felt nauseated from the pain...and that was after taking 600mg of ibuprofen about an hour prior to the insertion. I'm hope this doesn't discourage people from getting IUDs, because they're so great otherwise. And the pain is over as soon as it comes - just a few seconds and it's over. Not at all like the pain of childbirth!

ETA: If you'd like more information from women who have IUDs, there is a LiveJournal group called iud_divas - hope that helps!

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
hey all just wanted to give an update my period finally came on Sunday and I am going to see the gyn next Wednesday for an annual exam. I will talk to him about what the best form of bc will be for me. Thanks for all your input.

:)

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone else ever been through this....my period finally came three weeks ago, but never left! I still have it...ugh I feel so tired and gross. I had a gyn appt on 9/30 but my doctors office canceled on me. I tried to get a sooner appt but his next available isn''t till 10/30! Monday morning I am going to call every gyn in the yellow pages and see if I can be seen this week has anyone else experienced a really LONG period before? I''m scared that there is something wrong with me.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I haven''t read through these posts, but want to let you know that when I went off the pill about 7 years ago, it took 9 MONTHS before I started my period again. From what I have found, there are many women who are just very sensitive to the use of outside hormones. Some women resume their predictable cycle right away, and others do not. If you have seen a doctor and been cleared for other abnormalities I would try not to stress out about it. In the meantime, eat well, do some yoga and in general take care of yourself.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
You poor thing!

I would call your doctor and d.e.m.a.n.d. a closer appointment. They cancelled on you and the next appointment is at the end of the month?
6.gif
That is poor service and if this is the new doctor''s office I would move on and find another. Either that or call and demand they see you sooner. What if you were/are really sick? If nothing else this delay will cause you to worry.

I am cranky for you!

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I stopped taking the pill in March, as we are planning on trying to start a family within the next year, and I know that sometimes it takes a while for your hormones to regulate again, and it makes it harder to know when to try for the best results :)

Well.. I got my period right on time at the end of March, then April it never showed up, then in May it came, a few days later than if I had still been on the pill... then June and July came and went with nothing...... August came and I finally got it..... and it's never left.

At first it was like a normal period, then I thought it was done, but nope, it showed up again the day after... it was like that and pretty light for a couple weeks, and at first I thought it was just taking so long because I had missed two months in a row... but once it had been there for a month, I made an appointment. Well of course the day I went in, it was no where to be seen, so the doctor couldn't see anything and told me that it was possibly just because I had missed two months in a row, that it was going to take extra long for my body to get it all out.....they took blood and urine samples and ran different tests, like one to see if I was anemic from all of the blood loss.... everything came back perfectly normal..... well, the next day it started up again. And then the week after it got heavy. It's been like that every since, and it's been 3 weeks since my appointment. I have another appointment at the end of this month - it was the soonest they could see me.

Like you, I am scared thinking about all of the things that could be wrong with me..... I'm trying hard not to think about it too much until I can see the doctor, though they told me if it starts to bother me (because thus far I haven't had any pain associated with it what-so-ever, no cramps, no nothing other than just feeling gross and tired like you) or if it gets worse to go to an urgent care.

Sending positive thoughts your way, hopefully it's just a matter of your body trying to get itself back to normal and not anything serious!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2009 3:27:18 PM
Author: Steel
You poor thing!

I would call your doctor and d.e.m.a.n.d. a closer appointment. They cancelled on you and the next appointment is at the end of the month?
6.gif
That is poor service and if this is the new doctor''s office I would move on and find another. Either that or call and demand they see you sooner. What if you were/are really sick? If nothing else this delay will cause you to worry.

I am cranky for you!

Also, tell them you have been bleeding for three weeks straight - even if your usual ob doesn''t get you in asap, most ob''s will when they hear about the bad bleeding, since it''s an emergency.

If not, call the ER.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
WOW we are on the same boat...I haven''t had much pain with it either just blood
7.gif
Before I made this appointment with this new gyn I had called every other provider on my insurance network and the all had really late appointments. I am going to call my primary Monday morning to see if I can be seen by them in the meantime maybe they can order a sonogram and send me something to stop this thing. I thought it was gone like two days ago, but then it started back up really heavy. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with us. I really hope my primary doctor can help me in the meantime.

Thanks for your support.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Pichuchy, I had a very similar experience. About a year ago I had a monthlong period. That was followed over the winter by one that lasted 68 days! Over the spring and summer they averaged 3-4 weeks. I bled for 8 of the past 12 months.

My gyn did all kinds of test as there are many possible causes of such long periods (some serious, some not). In my case, all the tests were normal, and she said that sometimes your hormones just get a little wacky. I got a Mirena IUD to see if that would help, and it has (cessation or drastic reduction of periods is a cmon side effect of Mirena). If that didn't work, the next step would have been a uterine ablasion. I'm done having kids, though; it wouldn't be an appropriate step otherwise. For many women birth control pills are also an option.

I hope you're able to see a doctor soon! The sooner you figure out what's causing the problem, the sooner you can get better. Do make sure to get tested for anemia. I ended up pretty severely anemic, and that is no fun at all.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Pichuchy (partyjewels and Clio),
Gah, how awful! I hope you are taking a multivitamin, that much flow can contribute to anemia even though it technically isn''t blood, you might feel better with a multivitamin. Do advocate for care. I missed my period for 8 months and it was an ovarian tumor (this runs in my Dad''s family, and is very unusual in young women). Years later it happened again and it was Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. While having an unusually long cycle is not unusual, it can be the sign of something being out of sorts. Do seek medical attention and know that there are many doctors out there who could take the time to explain that the blood test was definitive rather than being obnoxious with a clearly upset patient who is lacking information because the Dr. is not taking time confer with the patient.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
I went to the gyn today and they did a bunch of blood work and a paps also ordered a plevic ultrasound. She said it sounds like poly cystic ovarian syndrome and put me back on the pill to help with the bleeding. Instead of the Yasmin she prescribed Apri...does anyone have any experience with this pill? I really hope it doesn''t make me blow up! It really sucks that hormones are the only way out of this.

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 8:47:33 PM
Author: pichuchy21
I went to the gyn today and they did a bunch of blood work and a paps also ordered a plevic ultrasound. She said it sounds like poly cystic ovarian syndrome and put me back on the pill to help with the bleeding. Instead of the Yasmin she prescribed Apri...does anyone have any experience with this pill? I really hope it doesn''t make me blow up! It really sucks that hormones are the only way out of this.
Never tried Apri or Yasmin. I think Apri is a combo-BC pill so I don''t think it''ll cause excessive weight gain. You might have to see after a few months of taking it. If it doesn''t work out, how about Nuvaring or a low hormone/dosage BC? There''s quite a few of them out there.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 8:47:33 PM

I don''t know anything about your condition but I am pleased that you finally have an answer. I hope you will be ok back on the pill. Take care.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
I am so sad I just had my pelvic ultrasound and all they told me is make sure I call my doctor tomorrow and that the thickness of my uterus is abnormal. I asked what causes it to get so thick and they told me I need to speak to my doctor about it. I will not be able to sleep tonight waiting for the doctor to hopefully call me tomorrow. I don''t know if this is something I should be worried about. Any advice?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I can''t advise you.

But I am sorry you are anxious, I hope it is nothing to worry about in the long term. Good luck and hugs.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Steel. I am so sad everything I read online mentions cancer I am only 27 I just want some answers. Tomorrow cant come fast enough so I can see what my doctor has to say.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 7:04:38 PM
Thanks Steel. I am so sad everything I read online mentions cancer I am only 27 I just want some answers. Tomorrow cant come fast enough so I can see what my doctor has to say.
I know, honey.

But if you google anything it can lead to a cancer prognosis. Many disorders/abnormalities can be pre-cancerous but that does not mean you are in trouble and there are many treatments for early stage cancers so even if you have to knock on that door you might be treated and sent on your merry way. I understand the stress of not knowing but you have to be patient. Can you take an early night tonight? Watch tv or read in bed until you drift off? There is no point sitting down and googling buzz words when you have no clue about your condition etc so try to be kind to yourself and save the worry.

Take care.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Steel. I am going to watch some tv and try to relax. I hope my doctors office gives me good news. I will keep you posted.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 7:26:29 PM
Thanks Steel. I am going to watch some tv and try to relax. I hope my doctors office gives me good news. I will keep you posted.
Me too.
1.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am here, wishing that you heard good news today.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Steel they said that the pill should help thin my endomitrium, but that my PTT blood work was elevated so they are referring me to a hematologist. Ugh I am so sick of all of this.
7.gif

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t gotten to check in for a few days, but I just wanted to say Hi and that I was thinkin of you! *hugs*

I go back in on the 22nd and if they don''t have anything different to tell me than last time I think I will try and find a second opinion.

I know that it''s scary and it''s hard not to think the worse, but as Steel said, nearly anything you Google will come up with something bad, especially if it''s something medical!

So hang in there and hopefully the docs will give you some more answers soon!

*hugs*

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 5:58:29 PM
Steel they said that the pill should help thin my endomitrium, but that my PTT blood work was elevated so they are referring me to a hematologist. Ugh I am so sick of all of this.
7.gif

You were not expecting this, were you? Still, it is all treatable as far as I know. When is your appointment or are you still at the referral stage? It is annoying I imagine because you still do not have an answer but, it is better than having a diagnosis of something scary.

At least staying on the pill kills 2 birds for you now
2.gif

Keep your pecker up, I am sure it will be ok.
1.gif

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I had the same problem. I came off the pill, had a few months of normal periods, and then nothing... for 9 weeks. I took multiple HPT and went to my doctor... all negative. I did, however, remain abstinent until my period started.

If you are still having intercourse using withdrawl method, there''s always a chance you can be pregnant. Typically, your period will start about 2 weeks after you ovulate. If your period is that late, it''s probably b/c your body is just "resetting" to its own normal hormones (that''s what happened to mine). However- beware that you can and will ovulate at any time.

If you want to be 100% sure the test is a true negative, I would stop intercourse or use more protection until your period starts.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry... I didn''t read the dates... late post!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results