shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfect cut or Ideal cut argument

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock

The more I''ve learned about diamonds the more it seems that there are basically two options and that these two options are the basis of the split between Internet vendors who primarily sell one type and B&M vendors who have always and still wish to sell the other.

You can go for the ''ideal cut'', h&a, optically perfect but slightly smaller looking and usually, more expensive diamond. This was based on Tolkowsky''s research and has been improved upon with improved cutting and measuring techniques. This type of cut diamond can be found mainly on the Internet. Your Internet vendor will hopefully check that the ''numbers'' of your chosen diamond actually translate to a beautiful diamond that you can appreciate with your eyes.

Or you can go with a traditional jeweller who will offer you their idea of a ''perfect'' diamond which is a diamond with a ''fine'' cut and an excellent spread. They have seen this type of diamond as being the best value for their customers. The parameters used by traditional jewellers to identify such a ''perfect'' diamond are sparkle or life, brilliance or scintillation as it can also be put, but also the ''spread'' or ''face-up'' or if you like the ''show'' factor. These diamonds are cut to save weight when necessary thus reducing the price yet offering perfect ''sparkle'' and ''spread'' as well.

Most jewellery clients want, primarily and justifiably, a diamond which will both sparkle and face up very well when set in an item of jewellery. Both types of vendor will argue passionately that their product is the one that will offer the client that.

Which type of diamond is prefered is each consumer''s personal choice and I don''t want to get into an arguement about which is the most desirable. What has struck me is that it is this difference of opinion that is at the heart of the bad feeling between traditional B&M jewellers who sell what they see as ''Perfect cut'' diamonds and Internet vendors who primarily sell ''Ideal cut'' diamonds.

What do others think?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My experience has been the B&M''s defintion of a "perfect" cut that''s the best value for their customer''s money is just what they say to sell stock on hand. It''s not based on anything. Just their personal opinion and for you to "trust them since they''ve been in this business for X number of years."

I''d feel more trusting if they didn''t have those blinding jewelers lights that can make a piece of coal sparkle. I like the "ideal" cut standard b/c it''s more quantifiable. Smart B&M stores know this and will stock these stones too, not just the internet ones.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that some B&M jewellers adopt this ''trust me, I''m a jeweller'' attitude and have little else to back up their claims that what they''re selling is high quality merchandise, but there must be some reliable B&M jewellers out there with top end diamonds, just not ''ideal cut'' stuff, don''t you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results