shape
carat
color
clarity

People''s collecting history

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since many are in Tucson, I thought I should follow Harriet's idea and start this new thread - this seems to be a calm period. Things will definitely liven up after the show.

My own story: no family history of collectors but born in a big Ural city with a long mining history and a wonderful Mineralogy Museum. You can never underestimate early visual impressions! Read lots of fairy tales for children featuring fairies who lived in Ural mountains and would open passage to gems.

Later, lived in Moscow. Again, there was Diamond Palace in the Kremlin, and the Hermitage in Leningrad, and there were also clubs for Young Art Conosseurs where University professors would lecture for free, just to raise kids in love of art (a very good idea!). Paintings, what not.

And then there was mom's friend who was a geologist and used to bring me some minerals as a gift. She died when I was 16. I recently set a piece of quartz in a pendant and wear it in memory of her.

Also, communism was supposed to be an "honest" society - which only meant that people of power could not take bribes in monetary form. But paintings and diamonds were OK! I wish you saw a diamond-and-sapphire tiara (yes!) that the wife of a well-known oncologist would wear to daily scientific seminars (yes!!). So again, impressions delve in your subconscious and stay there.

When I moved to the US I had NO money at all, but in a couple of years, I bought a cheap ruby, then, in a year, an emerald ring (a sale at Filene's Basement; nice piece, though!). And then there was a huge break. I don't know what happened in 2008 but I started CRAVING sapphires! Bought some books, bought that ruby in Australia, then read about a demantoid and for some reason started CRAVING a demantoid...And then it started. Cravings, just like in pregnancy. Nothing had changed in my work or personal life, I think it was a cumulative effect. All these visual impressions I had been getting for years, I presume. In my dreams I sometimes see that sapphire-and-diamond tiara....

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello,

It had been along time since I have posted. There are alot of new names and stories. I have always loved color/ THe brighter and more vivid the better. I started with a small batch of cheap opals from a TV shopping channel and went on to a 4ct somewhat expensive (at the time) 4.65ct light green but clean emerald. I then found the internet and learned everything I could on different gemstones and I now have a large collection of Mandarin and Tsavorite garnets, Paraiba Tourmalines (Mozabique and Brazilian), Tanzanite and Oregon sunstone. I have experimented with heating stone and blown up alot of them. I have just purchased a nice peice of Winza Ruby rough from Roger Dery and am having him cut it for me. Boy this hobby is addicting.

Regards,
Maurice

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Maurice,
Great to see you here. Post pics of your collection when you get a chance!

2door2.
2.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can't take good pictures but I have some of my collection for sale at a freinds website. I put things up for sale after I've had them for awhile. It's like trading in a car for a new one. If they sell they sell, if not oh well. I don't know if I am allowed to post the site here. My avitar is a 5.2 ct Richard Homer cut unheated Burmese Sapphire.

Maurice

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 12:18:34 AM
Author: MJO
I can''t take good pictures but I have some of my collection for sale at a freinds website. I put things up for sale after I''ve had them for awhile. It''s like trading in a car for a new one. If they sell they sell, if not oh well. I don''t know if I am allowed to post the site here. My avitar is a 5.2 ct Richard Homer cut unheated Burmese Sapphire.

Maurice
Your sapphire is stunning! I''ve always thought bad pictures were better than no pictures
2.gif
9.gif

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Crasru, I love the sapphire and diamond tiara story!

I guess my parents started my collection and are to blame for my love of jewelry. Everything nice, well actually everything I “own” is thanks to my generous father.
I know my paternal grandfather bought my grandmother a lot of jewelry. Unfortunately she passed when my father was 12 and I have never had the chance to see her collection (it was all given to my aunt). My father has always bought my mom’s jewelry too—most of it has been Christmas, Mother’s Day, birthday, and anniversary presents.

Pretty much all my jewelry has been given to me from my parents to mark special events. Throughout the years they’ve given me several pendants, Russian Orthodox crosses, a wg bangle, diamond bezel necklace. Only recently have I added colored stones to my small collection. There’s my blue topaz halo ring and my emerald sugar loaf that was my hs graduation present. I have some fun quartz pieces too, but nothing really major. I’ve bought several stones in the last year that need to be set as well. I’m in the process of figuring out my birthday present from my parents. I’m thinking of having some cabs cut for stack rings that would have both cabs and faceted stones. Or a demantoid ring—I’ve been craving one so bad lately. Idk, I have plenty of time to decide (my birthday is in October)...

Oh, I almost forgot my most expensive ring, the diamond I inherited from my paternal grandpa! I think jewelry is in my genes! Lol.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well, I have yet to collect a stone that would probably impress anyone here :) But none the less I do have some considerable pretties.

When I was a young child, my mother took me to a rock and gem show. We were just there to browse, and I spent all my dollars on crystals and the like. That was that until well into adulthood. I was not raised with money and I wasn''t "into" jewelry. One of my best friends learned how to make lampwork glass beads, and one day I happened to stop by a bead store that my friend was always talking about. I was hooked!

Fast forward through a period of learning how to make beaded jewelry, becoming a jewelry supplier to a sci-fi fandom, and much more. I started to fall in love with designer-cut cabochons, but I could never find just the right person to set them for me....so I decided to learn how to do it myself. While continuing to collect. The metalsmithing course I signed up for was delayed for a year, and while waiting I bought some cheap faceted stones without knowing what I was doing, and started educating myself nonstop about colored stones (having very little interest in diamonds).

I finally got to take 20 weeks of metalsmithing classes, and I''ve been hooked ever since.

I don''t yet have a single truly expensive stone - on a budget, I prefer smaller stones and less costly ones. I''ve yet to be able to afford some of the more spectacular ones that I see on here, but honestly that doesn''t bother me. I have a growing collection of stunning cabs and faceted stones that I love!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i''m a total newbie, trying to make up for lost time
9.gif

Absolutely no history of collectors in the family and parents dont buy me anything

i would love to know your website MJO but i don''t know if that breaches forum rules either....
5.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I have no personal or family history of gem/mineral collecting. I got into jewelry when my husband complained that I wasn''t girly enough. I think he was hoping for more lingerie to enter my wardrobe but instead I decided that jewelry was a better option.
9.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My story is really long...lol I''ve got to run out the door to an appointment at 9:45 so I''ll have to post it later. Oh and BTW crasru, thats an INTERESTING family history you have!

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 9:27:44 AM
Author: Kismet
I have no personal or family history of gem/mineral collecting. I got into jewelry when my husband complained that I wasn''t girly enough. I think he was hoping for more lingerie to enter my wardrobe but instead I decided that jewelry was a better option.
9.gif
My husband, a scientist, would say, "you should formulate your thoughts in a concrete way". Tell me, was your husband prepared to what followed? You have amazing jewelry and a great taste!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 12:18:34 AM
Author: MJO
I can''t take good pictures but I have some of my collection for sale at a freinds website. I put things up for sale after I''ve had them for awhile. It''s like trading in a car for a new one. If they sell they sell, if not oh well. I don''t know if I am allowed to post the site here. My avitar is a 5.2 ct Richard Homer cut unheated Burmese Sapphire.

Maurice

What a ring! The color is amazing.

c langston

Shiny_Rock

Hi, my name is Connie and I have a serious problem with collecting stones, cut, cabs, semi-precious, precious.....*chuckle* if you could ever call that a problem.

History:
As a pre-teen I was sent traveling with student groups, (read I was a pain so this was the easiest way to manage the situation). I learned to travel light, European style for several months at a time. The best gifts and trinkets that made sense at the time were small stones (not much weight, hardly any backpack space, seemed to make everyone at home happy). Over the years, the travel continued...the collection grew even if my technical/scientific knowledge of the stones I loved was lacking. I'd buy what I liked, talk to cutters at the stones source, picked up a few nice tips and the collection got a little better as time went on.

The first stones that caught my fancy were Alexandrite, Sapphires all colors other than blue , very small colored diamonds (natural and heat treated).

In my 20's I was bit by the Lapis Lazuli bug really hard it was the perfect stone for me at the time, going well with suits or blue jeans....I still have all my good Afghani pieces and I still pick up Lapis that strikes my fancy.

In my 30's I was on a kick making (bad) jewelry mostly beading, snap set findings, learned to do a little wax work. My Sis was a fine arts major then taught jewelry making at the college level so she let me piddle with my hobby (even if I wasn't very good at it) even encouraged my interest. The wax work was fun, Hot Metal (popping flux, high heat)...not my thing at all. But along the way I had met some lovely and very knowledgeable people willing to share their experience, show me their collections with critiques of stones (flaws, color ranges, sources...fun stuff).
The value of a stone in my collection isn't about it's market value. In hind sight that might have been a much smarter thing to do *chuckle*.
Each stone has a story and adventure, it reminds me of the people I met around the world, little side shops, and finding that piece of treasure to take back home with me for gifts or my personal stash.
Fast forward, now as an old gal I try to see that the nieces have unique stones and jewelry, something they would never find in a "mall". When they all graduated from college they all received beautiful pearls (all unique colors, some baroque strands), Weddings they got something blue (not sapphires) Tourmaline or Topaz. The older I get the less jewelry or stones I need, but I still can’t help buying them…*shrug* some might call that a little problem. None of my girls are shy about what they like, we go through the collection making note of which pieces they have an interest in or what I should be on the lookout for. Maybe one day there will be grandchildren…..another good reason to buy diamonds and gemstones, right?

I suppose there are worse things I could spend my time and money on.

Connie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 11:33:40 AM
Author: crasru

9.gif

My husband, a scientist, would say, ''you should formulate your thoughts in a concrete way''. Tell me, was your husband prepared to what followed? You have amazing jewelry and a great taste!

Heh, no I don''t think he was prepared. Still, he says if I''m happy then he''s all right with it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always liked colorful sparkly stones. I grew up in the era of mood rings, and Linde stars, and I think that may be part of the reason I now like colorful interactive stones. I get a real kick out of color changers like my chameleon diamond and cabochons like my star rose quartz.

During our honeymoon in the late 1970s we purchased a number of gorgeous sterling and turquoise pieces on a trip to Colorado. I love the bright blue color of those stones. The price of that turquoise has since gone through the roof. It was my first lesson in colored stone supply and demand. What is plentiful and cheap today, may well be scarce and expensive tomorrow. So buy what you like when you can afford it.

When our children were young, I rarely purchased jewelry. I have a few pairs of simple sterling and gemstone earrings from this period, but that''s about all.

Mostly I wore gemstone stud earrings and a simple necklace for years. About 15 years ago DH gave me a diamond and sapphire cross pendant that was my best piece for years. After finding PS several years ago, I now have a bit more knowledge and access to some lovely gemstones. My jewelry collection has probably doubled in size in the last couple of years, but I still love simple pendants, earrings and RHRs. I still prefer beautiful stones at affordable prices. And, I love being able to patronize local jewelry designers. It is so satisfying to be able to help a local artist do what they love doing.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
After we upgraded my engagement ring in late ''06, I developed an interest in jewellery. My then fiance got alarmed and suggested gems instead. My very first purchase was a rhodolite from Rick Martin, who continues to educate me. I''ve been lucky and met a number of other wonderful mentors. That''s my collecting history.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 1:34:36 PM
Date: 2/1/2010 11:33:40 AM

Author: crasru

9.gif

My husband, a scientist, would say, ''you should formulate your thoughts in a concrete way''. Tell me, was your husband prepared to what followed? You have amazing jewelry and a great taste!

Heh, no I don''t think he was prepared. Still, he says if I''m happy then he''s all right with it.

I just thought re. lingerie...you could end up with more pricey one. I mean, Victoria''s secret New Year''s bra made of precious stones by Mouwad. 10 M...Have you ever seen it?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I spent the first years out of college working as a musician. Feast/famine financially. Once that palled and I got my first stable job, I got a TAX REFUND! Who knew, haha. With it clutched in my sweaty fist, I passed a jeweler''s window and sitting there with a spotlight on it was my birthstone (Imperial topaz, not citrine) only BEAUTIFUL with diamonds and 18kt gold and I thought that since it was pretty much the total of my refund, that I should buy it immediately.

Hooked.

Got into antique Navajo turquoise jewlery and amassed a pretty good collection and like flygirl was shocked at how it appreciated.

Did not know much about gemstones, really just thought I wanted THE ROCK, meaning honking diamond engagement ring. First fiance took me shopping in the Los Angeles jewelry district and he picked out a round solitaire that I did not like. Had no idea how to say I didn''t like it. Gave that ring back when the engagement ended. WHEW!

First husband gave me a marquise diamond engagement ring. When asked, I had told him that I liked round or princess cut. There was my future in that marriage laid bare, LOL. I plan to recycle this stone into a pendant Julia is doing for me with my 4 Peaks amethyst and Oregon sunstone.

Single again, met my husband, a geologist, where we both worked in Alaska. As we were dating, I learned to look at rocks, then at mineral specimens and then at colored gemstones. He told me that diamonds were common and overpriced and that he would do better for me than that.

And he has :) once I worked my way past fossils, mineral specimens, and geodes, LOL. You all know what I''m carrying around here now, I posted last week. For my 50th, he bought me a huge rhodie in 18 kt full bezel from The Collector, Pala International''s jewelry store.

I''m waiting on Gary to get the last of that padparadscha-like zircon cut and sent to me and I''m also waiting to see what cabs I like next week when I hit Tucson (I live 90 minutes from Tucson).

My shopping list now:
1. Spessie, want that premium orange Fanta color.
2. Tsav from the new find Swala is selling, waiting to hear back from Eric.
3. Burma red spinel when money is no object.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well I''ve always loved jewelry. I grew up admiring my mother''s pieces, custom Italian style designs in white gold and platinum. My grandmother bought me jewelry often and collected it herself. Since she is from the Middle East its something women there tend to like to do. So I have some great pieces in gold, much of it handmade, from overseas. Then as a kid/teen I was fascinated by gems/rocks ---- but I grew up in South Florida! No gem/rock hunting for me! Luckily at least I had a couple of trips to the Carolinas for camping and I still have somewhere a bunch of tiny garnets that I found in a river bed! Then now after years of work/school I feel like I''m in a good position to indulge. So I''m in my learning/planning stages....

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How fun! I''ve always wanted to go fossicking. Psst...are you sure you want to meet me? I may be a bad influence.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 1:21:08 PM
Author: Harriet
How fun! I''ve always wanted to go fossicking. Psst...are you sure you want to meet me? I may be a bad influence.

Really, it was alot of fun finding those garnets and this wasn''t in a big commercial operation - it was just looking around in the wilderness. Actually, I read this article years ago about a gem lover who found a huge emerald strike in the US - I want to say it was in the Carolinas. I find that facsinating. If my husband would put up with it I''d take him out searching.

Lol, I''m relying on you being a bad influence!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
A geologist at one of the LA museums leads a tour of Brazilian mines every summer. Tempting ...

Ok, since you''ve assumed the risk! :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve already told about her emerald pendant/diamond brooch, so I''ll tell the rest.

I''m a true American Mutt. My family history is really something else. Moms family is very diverse in ancestry. I''m still finding out I ''ve got relatives that I had no idea about Found a relative in England few years ago...lol. The maternal part of my mothers family originated from Irish/English and Africa (non slavery). The paternal originates from Netherlands/Native American.

My grandmother had a lot of jewelery passed through her mother so I saw some amazing pieces. After my grandmother passed, there were pieces given to the remaining girls (there were 6 of them). My mother has some of the pearls some lovely earrings and a ring that was given to her from my grandfather. Most will go to my oldest sister which is fine. My mother is saving one piece for me. My mother also has quite a lot of her owne jewelry, of which I''ve added to lol I really don''t want to own any of my mother''s jewelery to be honest. Its gorgeous but I think the memories would drive me batty. I''ve a lot of neices that would very much so appreciate it (ther''s 9 of them so far)

I have my grandfather''s pocket watch. It belonged to his father. from his mother, I have a phonograph...lol I treasure both honestly.

My dad is from Arkansas, his family is a family owned from the days of slavery. I had to be very young, about 5-6 when we first went down there and we went to some of the caves in the Ozarks of Arkansas. If you''ve never been, its really something to see.

We''ve done rock hounding for quartz which when you have 5 kids, anything thats free and can keep them out of trouble is somthing worth doing.

I personally enjoyed it, my siblings...well....

Unfortunately we didn''t go to arkansas too often, and not at all when I was a teen.

The first piece I purchased myself was in my early teens I saw bracelet at Kmart that I really wanted, and so I saved for it from my summer job... in those days, 45 dollars was a lot. Out of my summer money I purchased school clothes and supplies as well as put money into savings, so 45 dollars of fun money was a TON to me!

The bracelet was so freaking big on me though! I was such a scrawny kid... in my early 20''s I purchased this gigantor aqua ring. Its quite hideous with a really big window! But back then I thought it was gorgeous. And yes, its definitly got some gray to it...lol

I still have it though...lol I had the stone polished in 2004, and it was remarked by how big it was. its roughly 8cts.

-A

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Winter-

The emerald find was in North Carolina. That area of the country has amazing deposits of all kinds of gems from ruby, sapphire and emralds to world-class amethyst and some of the most amazing rock crystal you''ve ever seen.

The type location for Hiddenite (green spodumene) is also in the same area. Going rockhounding in that area is one of my goals over the next few years.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The town is actually named after the mineral! Revolution, does the region have the wonderful crystalline quartz sometimes dubbed "optical quartz?"

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've already mentioned that for me it started in childhood too...digging opals in the desert.

Funny, last night, I took out my little "floating opal" pendant that had three chips of Virgin Valley opal in it that I had helped to dig. I examined it closely and found that I could pop off the top! The glycerin had gone goopy brown, but I was able to tip out the little opal chips. I dropped them into my retainer cleaner which I suspect has a bit of bleachy substance to it and let them soak and they came clean again! I was very surprised as they looked more like gray opals than white. I'm going to take the globe to my jewelers and see if they can make me a new cap for it in silver and refloat those opals!

Into adulthood, I could not afford much "real" jewelry. I had a few little pieces that I rarely wore that were gifts...some coral earrings from my Grandparents in Florida, that I may see about resetting as earring charms, and a few other earrings. My wedding set was my only nice piece of jewelry. About ten years ago, though, I spent a year in Korea and picked up a few nicer stones...cheaper ones, like amethyst and some fairly generic garnets that I love to wear. I've started adding to my collection more in the past five years when I found a jeweler who will keep a wish list! My hubby is visually impaired, and therefore can't see to get me jewelry, but has since then surprised me on the major holidays with something nice but not too expensive, and I love him for that because I know he saves up for each of them.

Laura

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2010 3:13:40 PM
Author: Harriet
A geologist at one of the LA museums leads a tour of Brazilian mines every summer. Tempting ...

Ok, since you''ve assumed the risk! :)
Harriet - I need more details! This sounds like a lot of fun.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 8:52:03 PM
Author: Revolution
Winter-

The emerald find was in North Carolina. That area of the country has amazing deposits of all kinds of gems from ruby, sapphire and emralds to world-class amethyst and some of the most amazing rock crystal you''ve ever seen.

The type location for Hiddenite (green spodumene) is also in the same area. Going rockhounding in that area is one of my goals over the next few years.
Thanks Jeff,

I''d love to go rockhounding - need to convince the husband that it would be fun. For now I''m going to visit the Nat''l Gallery again to see the gem/mineral collection -- anyone going to DC, its a must!

Tammy

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady Disdain,
I can''t navigate the museum''s website. I''ll get more info for you when the shows are done.

Tammy,
I spent two half-days in the halls and am still not done. Can you imagine how many more gems and specimens are in storage?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results