shape
carat
color
clarity

People who did post-wedding reception parties, did you have a "wedding" cake or normal desserts afte

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, I was just wondering... For those of you who have done two different wedding celebrations--like, eloped and had a big party a while after, or had a legal wedding in one country and a celebration in another--did you get a proper wedding cake for after dinner? Would guests think it''s weird to not have one (of some sort) because it''s still sort of the wedding, even though it''s after the fact (in our case, about 2 months after the fact)?

Just wondering what you all did, and if anyone thought it was strange to not have a wedding cake, if any of you didn''t get one. Thanks!
1.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
If we had gone away (which sadly, we won''t be doing because of logistical issues), I would have definitely still had cake at the at-home reception! Cake and champagne for dessert. Well, cupcakes actually. Still having cupcakes at our traditional wedding
1.gif

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I''m attended a celebration/reception after the couple had a small destination wedding, and they did have a traditional wedding cake for dessert.

I wouldn''t think it was odd if there wasn''t one though, as long as there''s something sweet for me to enjoy!
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m not in the same situation, but if I was (or was attending a reception) I think either a wedding cake or some other type of dessert would be fine. I wouldn''t necessarily expect a traditional wedding cake, just something nice for dessert, even if it''s cupcakes or another type of cake or something.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Okay im not a BBW, im still a LIW, but the SO and i have talked about it, and we are to have a small afternoon Lunch wedding and reception. After that, everyone takes a break and a nap...hehe. That we will meet up with everyone afterwards for dinner, leftover cake and than dancing at our favorite local club. We will probably rent out a VIP Space, or Spaces, since we know people and can get it pretty cheap, and dance there. Also for the cake, we will have the traditional 3 or 4 tiered cake, but have a sheet in the back that matches, that way for lunch we cna use the sheet cake, than for dinner use the rest.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I had friends that did their ceremony and reception with family and friends in the Midwest (where they''re from), then had a second reception on the East Coast (where they live now) with other friends. The first reception had the full-scale wedding cake with all the decorations, etc. The second reception had a 2-tier cake that a friend had baked for them and placed their cake topper on, plus other desserts: pies, brownies, cobblers...and other munchies. It was more of an Open House, I guess, than a reception, come to think of it. But I hope this helps!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i''m thinking that chocolate torte from the cakes thread would be perfect
3.gif
1.gif

julabean

Shiny_Rock
I''ve seen it done both ways.

We had a local reception after a Vegas wedding and just bought sheet cake from Costco. We didn''t do anything special with the cake, just sliced it an
hour or so after everyone was done eating.

However, my best friend had a large reception after they eloped (there were less than 15 people at her wedding, just family, me, and my DH), so for her, they did have a special cake made and did the cutting of the cake, speeches, etc.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
We got sheet cakes from Costco. We felt that some people might be expecting cakes, so we got some. And we used the opportunity to pay homage to cake wrecks in the process. We have pretty non-traditional friends and family, but everyone thought it was hilarious, they loved the cakes (because store cakes are more about taste than appearance), and it only cost $48!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
katamari....I''m DYING! I''d never seen that Cake Wrecks blog before! I''m in TEARS from laughing so hard!!!
19.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
My friends/family are unimpressed by our plans to elope, so they would enjoy a reception that felt as wedding like as possible. Therefore, if a traditional cake will make them feel more included, then great. Easy peasy and a small sacrifice. If I was not doing a traditional wedding cake, I would probably have an assortment of our favorite desserts (cinnamon rolls, flourless chocolate cake, brownies, carrot cake, and a dump cake), which I would LOVE to bake myself, and a Nutella fountain
31.gif
for fruit and pound cake.
18.gif
i like the idea of your foods reflecting you as a couple!
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
One wedding/reception, no cake. I don't like most cake and we didn't plan on the traditional cutting, so we offered three types of desserts. I have no regrets and they were delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results