shape
carat
color
clarity

People are scandalous...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
LV, that''s true that people could be exchanging things and buying a Christmas tree on sale...didn''t think about that! Hopefully that''s what they were doing b/c if they used it for Christmas and just brought it back, that would be so wrong...I would feel like a thief if I did that.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
seriously... when I worked in retail, I had some people try to bring back sweaters that were two-three years old and well worn out
23.gif
(it was our brand) and inside the tag, has item# to identify which year and season it was out, to get a refund or exchange
14.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 9:31:17 AM
Author: D&T
seriously... when I worked in retail, I had some people try to bring back sweaters that were two-three years old and well worn out
23.gif
(it was our brand) and inside the tag, has item# to identify which year and season it was out, to get a refund or exchange
14.gif
9.gif
Sounds like the Gap, perhaps? They are geniuses.

There are always people who abuse the system and take advantage of some of the more lenient return policies out there. But for the most part people respect the rules when it comes to returns/exchanges, imo. I spent many years in retail and of course I came across some bad apples, but those were pretty few and far between.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I saw something worse than a used/returned tree while I was Christmas shopping. I was looking for jammies for DH''s grandma and came across an obviously WORN, WASHED and returned pair of PJ pants! They looked like something from my PJ drawer at home! At least you don''t wear a Christmas tree to bed!
23.gif
I''ve seen this with shoes too, the ones that don''t look brand spanking new on the outside and there is a faint outline of a foot on the insole? ICK.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I was in Victoria''s Secret and someone was returning a water bra (remember those) because it was defective. 8 years later. They said since she still had the receipt they would refund her with store credit. For real? You got 8 years of use out of it. I think that''s pretty good.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 3:06:57 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 12/29/2009 11:34:39 PM
Author: miraclesrule

Date: 12/29/2009 11:18:48 PM
Author: decodelighted
I saw a cute post on a website where a gal who lives in the country like me couldn''t find a tree so she found a downed tree branch & put IT in the tree stand & decorated it with lights & a disco ball ornament. One year we had a ''charlie brown'' style mini bare tree. And THIS year we salvaged our ailing three year old pre-lit tree by painstakingly cutting off all the weaved in lights (took HOURS) and then put our own fresh lights on it. I just couldn''t see throwing out a perfectly good tree because some of the lights were shorting out -- but DH didn''t want the hazard of flaky electrical so ... sleeves up y''all!

Craigslist is a great idea. And I''m sure there are flocks of scammy scammers who are totes base & un-breed-worthy. Just wonder what all the stories are. Theft factor aside.
OMG, that reminds me of a story (what doesn''t?)

One year, when my daughter was 6ish or 8ish (who can remember), we were at Target looking for xmas trees. We saw a poor little pathetic looking tree and my daughter held it up because it was her height. I said ''Oh honey, no way. That is one sorry little Charley Brown Christmas tree and nobody is going to buy that tree''. I started moving along looking for other trees and I noticed my daughter was crying and when I asked her what was wrong she said ''Oh Mommy, nobody is going to buy that tree and I really think that somebody should buy that tree because somebody needs to love that tree'' and on...and on...and on.... Yeah, I''m sure you can guess the ending to the story.

We bought the sorry little tree.
Wow. I was that little girl, and you were my dad (suckers, the both of you!) only the tree was a puppy. A puppy that had been in the pet store for over 6 months and WAS ON SALE.

We took it home and I had to beg my mom (what is with you parents?!) to keep her. Corkey (the dog) was my mom''s most loyal companion for the entirety of Corkey''s life, and she HATED me.
40.gif
What the heck?! If it wasn''t for me...
Freke, I know it shouldn''t, but that cracked me up.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:05:06 AM
Author: Ara Ann
I saw something worse than a used/returned tree while I was Christmas shopping. I was looking for jammies for DH''s grandma and came across an obviously WORN, WASHED and returned pair of PJ pants! They looked like something from my PJ drawer at home! At least you don''t wear a Christmas tree to bed!
23.gif
I''ve seen this with shoes too, the ones that don''t look brand spanking new on the outside and there is a faint outline of a foot on the insole? ICK.
I went shopping on Black Friday and got a pair of jeans. They were missing their tag, but it was Black Friday, and ON tags aren''t too sturdy, so I didn''t think anything of it.

That is, I didn''t think anything of it until I found a movie ticket stub in the back pocket.
20.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
When I worked at Home Depot, we had people bring back their LIVE christmas trees!
23.gif
Well, they were usually dead when they brought them back after the 25th. They have a 90 day guarantee on plants and these people were clever. While I was there the policy was changed, but depending on the manager working at the time, they''d take it back.
38.gif
Everyone looked at you like you were an a$$, but you got your $40 back.
20.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:19:52 AM
Author: princesss
Date: 12/30/2009 11:05:06 AM

23.gif

I went shopping on Black Friday and got a pair of jeans. They were missing their tag, but it was Black Friday, and ON tags aren''t too sturdy, so I didn''t think anything of it.

That is, I didn''t think anything of it until I found a movie ticket stub in the back pocket.
20.gif

Ummm....ick.

And yet, some resale shops sell clothes with the tags still on. Pays to shop around I guess!
2.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Returning a fake Christmas tree after the fact is just unbelievable!
20.gif
When did that sort of behavior become acceptable?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hey while on the subject--what about diamond trade up policies? Isn''t this the same thing?
33.gif
They are very liberal to me.....

cheers--Sharon

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 10:54:13 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 12/30/2009 9:31:17 AM
23.gif
14.gif
9.gif
Sounds like the Gap, perhaps? They are geniuses.

There are always people who abuse the system and take advantage of some of the more lenient return policies out there. But for the most part people respect the rules when it comes to returns/exchanges, imo. I spent many years in retail and of course I came across some bad apples, but those were pretty few and far between.
hehee.. actually it was at a department store, but you are right, there are people who abuse the system and hence the price keeps going up
7.gif
and those many others do not take advantage.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 1:03:41 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/29/2009 10:53:14 PM
Author: kenny
I wonder if anyone has return a turkey carcass to Costco, saying it didn''t taste good.
38.gif

I am SURE they have. Places like that and Trader Joes encourage you to return something if you don''t like it. Although I don''t think they intend for people to return totally empty/eaten items-I am SURE it has happened!
When I was a teenager, I worked at a certain fast-food restaurant that had a very liberal, no questions asked replacement or refund policy. People would literally bring the wrappers to their eaten food to the counter, tell me that it "didn''t taste right" and ask for a refund or more food. It happened several times per day.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
People are so dodgy
6.gif
where''s the shame though...i mean returning the christmas tree after christmas is pretty obvious isnt it?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh! That''s like buying a dress, going to the prom and returning it the next day. Awful! It''s not Rent-A-Center, people!
38.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 11:16:47 AM
Author: princesss
Date: 12/30/2009 3:06:57 AM

Author: FrekeChild

Date: 12/29/2009 11:34:39 PM

Author: miraclesrule

Date: 12/29/2009 11:18:48 PM

Author: decodelighted

I saw a cute post on a website where a gal who lives in the country like me couldn''t find a tree so she found a downed tree branch & put IT in the tree stand & decorated it with lights & a disco ball ornament. One year we had a ''charlie brown'' style mini bare tree. And THIS year we salvaged our ailing three year old pre-lit tree by painstakingly cutting off all the weaved in lights (took HOURS) and then put our own fresh lights on it. I just couldn''t see throwing out a perfectly good tree because some of the lights were shorting out -- but DH didn''t want the hazard of flaky electrical so ... sleeves up y''all!

Craigslist is a great idea. And I''m sure there are flocks of scammy scammers who are totes base & un-breed-worthy. Just wonder what all the stories are. Theft factor aside.
OMG, that reminds me of a story (what doesn''t?)

One year, when my daughter was 6ish or 8ish (who can remember), we were at Target looking for xmas trees. We saw a poor little pathetic looking tree and my daughter held it up because it was her height. I said ''Oh honey, no way. That is one sorry little Charley Brown Christmas tree and nobody is going to buy that tree''. I started moving along looking for other trees and I noticed my daughter was crying and when I asked her what was wrong she said ''Oh Mommy, nobody is going to buy that tree and I really think that somebody should buy that tree because somebody needs to love that tree'' and on...and on...and on.... Yeah, I''m sure you can guess the ending to the story.

We bought the sorry little tree.

Wow. I was that little girl, and you were my dad (suckers, the both of you!) only the tree was a puppy. A puppy that had been in the pet store for over 6 months and WAS ON SALE.

We took it home and I had to beg my mom (what is with you parents?!) to keep her. Corkey (the dog) was my mom''s most loyal companion for the entirety of Corkey''s life, and she HATED me.
40.gif
What the heck?! If it wasn''t for me...

Freke, I know it shouldn''t, but that cracked me up.

Me too
3.gif
When I was in elem. school we got a puppy for me...who, as of the first full day he lived with us, chose my mom and became HER loyal companion for 13 years until he died a couple months ago. He was supposed to be MY puppy, lol.

But really, I''m disgusted by these people. Seriously?! Have a sense of decency, won''t you?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 11:30:49 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Hey while on the subject--what about diamond trade up policies? Isn''t this the same thing?
33.gif

cheers--Sharon

Not the same to me. The diamond vendor has a stated trade-up policy that is done in a way (presumably) benefits both the vendor and the customer. A return policy is different than a trade-up policy -- using a return policy to continually trade up electronic items, or to get a refund for things that have been used and that aren''t defective, is abusing the return policy imho. And I don''t think it''s a stretch to call it fraud or stealing.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
It''s hard to believe that someone would return a used tree! That takes a lot of nerve.

I''m so funny about returns that I bought a shirt for my son at the Gap about a week ago and when I pulled it out of the washer yesterday there was a small tear near the little strip where the button holes are located. It was right in front so we would have noticed if it was there the first two times he wore it. DH said I should take it back and tell them that it wasn''t well made b/c it tore after it was only worn twice and washed once and, therefore, it must not be well made. I don''t think I can do it, though, b/c it wasn''t there when I bought it-DS must have done it inadvertantly. What do you all think?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 4:46:31 PM
Author: Gayletmom
It''s hard to believe that someone would return a used tree! That takes a lot of nerve.

I''m so funny about returns that I bought a shirt for my son at the Gap about a week ago and when I pulled it out of the washer yesterday there was a small tear near the little strip where the button holes are located. It was right in front so we would have noticed if it was there the first two times he wore it. DH said I should take it back and tell them that it wasn''t well made b/c it tore after it was only worn twice and washed once and, therefore, it must not be well made. I don''t think I can do it, though, b/c it wasn''t there when I bought it-DS must have done it inadvertantly. What do you all think?
if you have a receipt, then I would take it back since the receipt will show when you bought it, and I have taken a shirt back after a decorative button tore off from a shirt leaving a small hole that I had not worn, but washed prior to wearing- this was the first I have ever returned a shirt and had axiety doing it, because it felt weird to me but then again, it was such a pretty shirt and was pretty sad about it- I was able to exchange for another shirt of the same kind and luckily it never tore again, becuase of this incidence I usually keep my receipt for the first washing...just in case of manufacturer defect or something.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 4:53:06 PM

if you have a receipt, then I would take it back since the receipt will show when you bought it, and I have taken a shirt back after a decorative button tore off from a shirt leaving a small hole that I had not worn, but washed prior to wearing- this was the first I have ever returned a shirt and had axiety doing it, because it felt weird to me but then again, it was such a pretty shirt and was pretty sad about it- I was able to exchange for another shirt of the same kind and luckily it never tore again, becuase of this incidence I usually keep my receipt for the first washing...just in case of manufacturer defect or something.

If you are returning something for poor quality or a defect, it is not the same thing as wearing something and returning it after you got your one use from it. If something is defective, then by all means return it...the store should not try to resell it as new either.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

33.gif

cheers--Sharon

In a trade up you buy something more EXPENSIVE. No one gets cheated.

Returning the tree after Christmas is a new scam to me!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I''d never return a tree to Costco on December 26th
23.gif
, but I would absolutely bring back a clothing item that fell apart within the first week. Whether it''s a design defect or a manufacturing defect is irrelevant-- any clothes that fall apart within a month (of normal use/care, of course) are defective.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 10:35:01 PM
Author:miraclesrule
My associate went to Costco at lunch today and she couldn''t believe how many people were in line to return their fake Christmas trees. Really? Like you just now noticed something was wrong with it??
27.gif

I swear I wouldn''t last a day as an employee in the return department. I would be fired for my conduct.
Perhaps it was just faulty?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 4:30:49 PM
Author: VRBeauty

HI:

33.gif

cheers--Sharon

Not the same to me. The diamond vendor has a stated trade-up policy that is done in a way (presumably) benefits both the vendor and the customer. A return policy is different than a trade-up policy -- using a return policy to continually trade up electronic items, or to get a refund for things that have been used and that aren''t defective, is abusing the return policy imho. And I don''t think it''s a stretch to call it fraud or stealing.

Plus, you can''t really "use" a diamond, unless you crack it or something - diamonds don''t show wear and tear like clothing and such will.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 4:56:08 PM

Date: 12/30/2009 4:53:06 PM

If you are returning something for poor quality or a defect, it is not the same thing as wearing something and returning it after you got your one use from it. If something is defective, then by all means return it...the store should not try to resell it as new either.
well one use and returning it without any defects is wrong, but one use with defects is not normal wear and tear and I certainly would return it. I sure hope employees knows better than to put a worn returned item back on the shelf
23.gif
ick... they know they should put it back in the "return to vendor bin"

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! That''s pretty bad!
14.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, that is ridiculous. Other stores are a lot more strict. . .for example, Party City doesn''t allow returns of Halloween costumes after Halloween for the obvious reason.

Princess - sorry, but that is kinda funny about the jeans!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
My mother worked for many years at a large, big-name outdoor store known for totally standing behind their products. As if the theft stories weren''t bad enough, she would come home and tell us about returns. Like the guy that returned a very well-used kayak... for a brand new one because it didn''t perform as expected or something. Same with a guy that came in with an 8 year old pair of boots. Apparently, he thought they didn''t hold up. It''s some kind of no questions asked return policy so they take just about anything back and you walk out with brand new stuff. Granted, in these cases people are taking advantage of a very generous warranty but still...

I just can''t believe people have the kahoonas to do that, and keep a straight face.

Treefrog

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 5:48:01 PM
Author: MC
Ah, that is ridiculous. Other stores are a lot more strict. . .for example, Party City doesn''t allow returns of Halloween costumes after Halloween for the obvious reason.

Princess - sorry, but that is kinda funny about the jeans!
MC, I think it''s pretty funny, too. It actually took me a minute to realize it wasn''t my ticket stub, because I hold on to them for a while, so there was a good minute or two of confusion when I tried to remember the plot of a movie I never saw.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the restocking fee idea. Costco can charge extra for each piece of leftover tinsel or garland found on the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results