shape
carat
color
clarity

Pens.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if any of the vendors at PS sell high end pens? I was considering a Mont Blanc Solitaire Carbon ( I think its called) or Cross Townsend in the Platinum plated finish or the Titanium Herringbone finish. Funny though, all the places locally that sold Cross pens are fading them out. Not sure why really. Unfortunately, I had a malachite green Townsend that was stolen out of my purse. :( It was a nice pen, no wonder.

If you know of any reputable online dealers you can recommend that would be great.

Judy
:)

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I can point you in the right direction, I used to collect fountain pens and at one time had a long list of pen dealers. However, here''s one I can recommend off the top of my head, http://www.swisherpens.com/

Strangely enough, ebay is a pretty good place to go for pens too. I''ve never been ripped off and have gotten some good deals.

Finally, the pen equivalent of pricescope is the Zoss Pen List. Do a google for it, sign up, post your question about where to go for your pen, collect your answers, and then unsubscribe.

Good luck~!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
And just so you know, Montblanc pens are junk. No one who seriously collects pens has any respect for them. It''s all marketing hype.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your suggestions. I did google it & found it no problem. So Mont Blanc are crap. Are they the I-2, M colour of Pricescope? LOL
I''m not really in the market for collecting, just want a nice pen in my purse when I have to pull it out to use. Its not an item one would think of buying everyday but something nice to have regardless. I took a co-worker out one day for lunch to look at pens. She thought I was nuts then when we got back to work, she said she was going to go buy one for herself. LOL LOL What a trend! I actually got my entire bridal party the Cross Townsend pens. The 2 girls got the Quartz blue laquer & the guys got the chrome finish. I bought the master of ceremonies a really nice Waterman since he''s a lawyer. LOL It was different, my bridal party was older & professionals, so they really like it. They appreciated I didnt buy them any robes that had their names monogramed on them. LOL

I looked at Cartier pens, way too pricey, as well as S.T. Dupont ones. Those I would have to buy online from the U.S. They are just too crazy priced up here. But you know, the more inexpensive Apogee from Cross was really a nice pen. A little thick but then more I held it the more it felt good. I just have to choose between the red laquor (gorgeous colour) & the mesh chrome one which I''m leaning towards because it actually kinda sparkles when light hits it. LOL That & if it scratches, you wont see them as readily as if you would against the red. Oh boy, decisions over a pen!

Judy

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hello,

Well, in the end I bought an inexpensive (sure was compared to the others this specialty shop had!). The sales lady convinced me that as a woman, writing with a ballpoint pen is as feminine as plucking a chicken. Ok, in not so many words that I understood because she was Indian, but very pleasant & helpful. I went there specifically to order the ballpoint. LOL Then I walk out with a fountain pen!! She layed on the sales charm thick. Plus I think she knew what to say like , you are older, have more refined look, wear nice jewelery & so you should use a fountain pen. It was double the price than the ballpoint so I was sure she was just trying to squeeze the sale out for her. I used my new pen tonight & seems like all those old notions of the pen leaking or the ink not drying fast enough are not valid that I read. So far so good. I honestly think I''m going to like it. Its not high end as per some pens, but when I take it out of my purse to use, I''ll look more mature & more refined. LOL LOL Well, she told me that so I believe her!! I hope it works?

Going to bed,

Will use my pen this weekend.

Judy

ApogeeChrome-fountainpen-med.nib.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow, that pic looks bad. Because of the mesh on it, it shimmers in the light like crazy! This wont sound so mental on PS, but it complimented my other sparklies! LOL Looks more formidable in person.

Judy

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is perfect timing, I have decided to buy a nice pen(s) as a gift for a friend.

I had read that the Mont Blanc were crap, so what else is as "visible" and has as much status as they carry, even if they are crap?!!

Waterman? I want something that is very masculine, heavy and carries that status pen look!

Any suggestions?

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
S.T. Dupont pens are some of the best writing ones out there, bar none. They are a high status pen. Another of my favorites (other than my own
41.gif
) are Visconti pens. They have one called the Golden Ratio pen that''s darn cool. Cross has some nice contemporary designs called Verve that I also like.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
That one''s a beauty. I''m fairly new to pens. I now get the pen magazines and have been researching high end pens for a couple years now. A while back I showed one of my titanium with spiral wood inlay pens to a dealer for his opinion on it, and for nib comparison asked him what the best writing pen he had was. He said it was the Dupont and let me try it out. It was like no other pen I''ve ever tried. They have a real solid feel and it just oozes quality. I would say that you won''t go wrong with one.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That one is nice Ann! I agree, the Dupont pens are really very nice & write effortlessly. For an inexpensive pen, I havent got too much to say regarding the quality of the Cross I bought. I do however, have to get used to writing with the fountain pen. The saleslady was right, it is more elegant a look, but I also miss the simplicity of being able to whip out my ballpoint, twist it & write. LOL Its all good.
36.gif

Good luck on the new purchase.
9.gif

Judy

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am torn between giving him the fountain pen or the rollerball. I''m afraid he wouldn''t take the time to "mess" with the ftn. pen. If I did both, oh my gosh, it would be $900. 1,000. if I remember the pricing correctly.

Anyone ever hear of Joop in NYC for pens?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I didnt realize it would be a gift for a man. My husband is NOT a fan of fountain pens, hence his comment/question "why did you buy a pen you have to take the cap on & off for". LOL I bought him a Waterman pen, Liason, a few yrs ago & its a twist ballpoint. He loves it & thinks that I''m nuts because I bought a pen with a cap. UH OK...LOL He better take care of that pen.
25.gif
I''ve perused a few online pen sites but ended up buying locally so I have no comment on the 2 sites you were referring about. Perhaps a vendor here might carry the pens you are looking at. I know when I was looking this time, many jewelery stores carried all kinds of pens, but not the Cross. I got lucky finding a nice selection at an upscale cigar store.

Also, I had my husbands Waterman engraved & it looks fantastic. Waterman just came out with a square looking pen, forget the name of it, & its very substantial. I thought it would be uncomfortable but its actually not.

Judy

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
ccuheartnurse, I''m so glad you walked out with a fountain pen! I didn''t realize you were shopping for a ballpoint or I would have said . . . the saleslady was not hyping you at all! Fountain pens are definitely the way to go. I used to have quite a collection, but have pared it down to a miniumum now that my interests have changed somewhat.

My favorite pen I ever owned was a vintage (1920s) waterman fountain pen with a sterling silver overlay. That beauty was a thing to behold. It had a special italic nib. It was a big mistake to sell that pen.

My favorite fountain pens are Pelikans. I have them in a few sizes. I also have a contemporary Waterman, and, for those who don''t want to unscrew or uncap a fountain pen every time, Pilot makes a "vanishing point" pen with a retractable nib just like a ballpoint pen.

Another favorite pen was my Aurora Optima with a gorgeous blue marble finish. Unfortunately my husband lost that pen.

Different pens have different personalities. If you like the pen you got (and it''s lovely!) then you might consider venturing into getting a vintage fountain pen. They are fun as well and can be quite beautiful.

Oh, and now that you have the fountain pen, you can enjoy exploring different inks! Visit pendemonium.com to check out the thousands of different inks in a mind boggling palette of colors. Some people like blue and have a collection of different blues. Some people stick to black. Others like the look of brown ink.

Some people get colors that match the colors of their pens.

I could go on . . .

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Ann, that''s a lovely dupont. I''ve never had a dupont but I know they are top quality. However, you can get it for less than the price quoted on the web link you gave. Swisher pens has it for about $50 less.

Also, once you get into fountain pens, then you start thinking about paper . . . regular office supply paper doesn''t seem to be good enough anymore . . . Clairfontaine is wonderful to write on.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys.

I will definitely check out that site, Swisher

I know the paper thing has already caught my attention!
Oh Lord, another obsession.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow Portoar you really know your stuff & thank you for all your advice. :) The saleslady almost had a stroke when I said I wanted a ballpoint.
6.gif
She said right out, "no, you need to buy a fountain pen, nothing else will do".
25.gif
I was like...ah, I just want a pen!
9.gif
It was double the price so I went to have a nice cup of Starbucks coffee & then went back & got the pen. haha She was certain that she did such a great job, the pen was in the box by the cashiers till. ;-) She was really nice & gave me a bottle of blue ink. Ann, I know, ANOTHER obsession. LOL Not like diamonds & jewelery werent enough.
32.gif
My co-workers couldnt understand why I was reading & researching about pens. They were like, whats wrong with a Bic?
23.gif
9.gif

Ann, perhaps you might just opt to get the ballpoint which is the safest option it seems. Everyone can use a ballpoint, but not everyone can use a fountainpen. That Dupont has presence regardless of it being ballpoint or fountain.
21.gif

Judy

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
ccuheartnurse - wouldn''t a rollerball write smoother than a ballpoint?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, most Rollerballs do write better. I think they are felt tipped. Some other experts might know. I do know they too have a removable top so then right back to square one with the lid being too fussy. I know the ones I was looking at Cross, Waterman, Dupot & Mont Blanc''s, they all had lids for the rollerball...

Judy

Also check with the ink of the rollerball & it doesnt leak. I wouldnt think they do, cause my fountain certainly does not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results