shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant options - opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Like I have nothing else to keep me busy the week before Christmas....

I have a .38ct round pendant. It is in a 4 prong basket setting. The stone is not ideal cut, but it''s not horrible either. I like it, but not lovin'' it, as I think more should be done to it. It is the original diamond from my e-ring.

I have a couple of options on what I can do and wanted to know what you thought.

Option 1) put a thin bezel around it to give it a little more *oomph*

Option 2) get a couple of smaller stones (i.e. a .25ct and a .15ct) and make a 3 stone pendant where they are all set vertically (smallest to largest). I''m sorry I don''t have a picture of it.

Option 3) have a halo made like Aljdewey''s gorgeous pendant. I have 6 .02ct stones from my original e-ring setting that aren''t being used. I could then get more to complete the halo; plus the melee from my original e-ring aren''t going to waste

Option 4) keep it as it is

This is a pendant I wear everyday, so I am afraid the halo might be too much.

Any opinions (or other options) are welcome.

Here''s a pic of what it currently looks like.

100_1286_123.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a pic of Aljdewey''s pendant (hope you don''t mind!)

aljdeweypendant.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pebbles, the pendant is beautiful
30.gif
, and I love the way it''s set right now. IMO, I wouldn''t change it.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I love the three stone pendant idea. That gets my vote.

shay

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I found a picture of a 3 stone pendant on Blue Nile. This is what I was referring to in Option 2.

3stonependant.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On second thought, I like the three-stone pendant idea too.
9.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I have a thin bezel which I ADORE, so I have to put my vote in for that!
9.gif

But all your other options sound wonderful!!! I agree, though, that I might feel a little weird wearing a fancy multi-stone pendant for everyday though...that''s what I love about my bezel, that it still looks great with a t-shirt, even though it also manages to make an evening gown even more elegant.
4.gif

In any case, I''m sure you know you have to post pictures of whatever you end up going with!
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Halo.
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo, Halo, Halo. Did I say Halo???
31.gif
I love Al's pendant.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is mostly personal... but I would get rid of the 'rabbit years' - probably in favor of a fixed pendant (attached to the chain), say, like the three-prong floating pendants that have been talked about (and done) a few times recently.

Three stones in a row sounds fantastic!... especially if the other stones are small, much like some of the Tiffany Jazz pendant are. Only this would be quite a bit larger than those.

Also, if Al's pendant looks like too much, one with the center stone prong set above the frame of little diamonds may end up substantially more dainty.

But, this is not about what I like, of course.

Before you consider a custom casting... you may want to look over THESE Th quality may be brilliant or terrible - I have no idea. I think Michael E works with these settings, so he would know. It may be that these isn't one to be found to fit your stone (I see some made for quarter and half carats, but would .4cts fit?).

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondlil and Kaleigh -- you don''t think the halo is too much for everyday? I have two toddlers so I usually dress very casually. On the two days a week I work I wear black pants, a white shirt and a lab coat - so I don''t ever really get dressed up. My husband and I go "out" maybe once or twice a year.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Albicocca, my diamond pendant is bezel set and I love it! It makes the stone look bigger and provides a sleek low maintenance look that is perfect for everyday wear.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote bezel "Diamonds By The Yard" style. Three fashionable people I know have just started looking into this style again ... and I, myself, thought about snagging a Fakey McFakerton. (In an e-ring year, no $$ for more sparklies!)

I love the look of the halo, but for myself would probably get more wear out of the bezel.

Fun project!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a Tiffany''s DBY version of what I was describing ... with a .40 stone (now at Signed Pieces for $1900. I linked it to my brother in law with my sister in mind, but he''d already gone sparkly shopping for Xmas.

dbygold33.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 12:49:10 PM
Author: decodelighted
This is a Tiffany''s DBY version of what I was describing ... with a .40 stone (now at Signed Pieces for $1900. I linked it to my brother in law with my sister in mind, but he''d already gone sparkly shopping for Xmas.

i think for every day i like the bezel. I like the yard a lot but in tees and jeans would look too much for me. I think the halo could work b/c the center diamond isn''t huge. It might be worth it to check the total width with your stone. It would send tons of sparkles everywhere and look kinda cool with a tee shirt. ok, so i guess i''m not much help
20.gif

freckles127

Shiny_Rock
Halo halo haloooo, to oomph up that diamond. I think it is great for everyday wear and goes great with anything dressy too.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Halos are certainly pretty...and while I"m generally not a halo kind gal, I think a small halo might really make the stone look large...but not too large that you couldn''t wear it every day...I''m opting for a plain, thin bezel myself but that''s just my taste. I don''t think you can go wrong either way...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 12:19:41 PM
Author: pebbles
Diamondlil and Kaleigh -- you don''t think the halo is too much for everyday? I have two toddlers so I usually dress very casually. On the two days a week I work I wear black pants, a white shirt and a lab coat - so I don''t ever really get dressed up. My husband and I go ''out'' maybe once or twice a year.
I don''t think so at all. If it was a larger stone (say 1 ct) then I could see it being a little over the top for everyday (although I''d wear it
2.gif
), but with it being under a half, I think a halo will really set it off nicely. I''m sure the stones in the halo will be tiny (half or one pointers). I love Al''s pendant design. It''s only my wishlist for someday . . . .

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2005 10:48:10 AM
Author: moremoremore
Halos are certainly pretty...and while I''m generally not a halo kind gal, I think a small halo might really make the stone look large...but not too large that you couldn''t wear it every day...I''m opting for a plain, thin bezel myself but that''s just my taste. I don''t think you can go wrong either way...
I heartily second.
I have a bezel set CZ (Christian Dior costume jewelry) which I LOVE. (lots of people ask if it''s real). Anyway I bought it to wear w/ my wedding dress, that''s certainly fancy! But I ended up wearing pearls instead. Anyway, the bezel goes with most anything, casual to dressy. I think it is a low maintenance and safe way to set a diamond. Now I REALLY want a real one :)
I also like what you have now, but not loving the rabbit ears.
I love when the bezel set diamond is attached to the chain and can slide freely. That is what I would get if it were me!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here's a caveat to using your 2 pointers to make a halo around that stone...

aljdewey's stone is a 75 pointer, and i think she used 1 pointers around her stone, not 2 pointers. the halo ends up adding more width due to the metal so she didn't want to use a smaller stone than the one she used because she was afraid that the melee and halo would overpower the stone itself. having seen it in person, the ratio she used was a good one in my opinion....

so i don't know about putting a halo around a 35 pointer stone, even if you do 1 pointers like she did, the halo metal adds more width and it may end up making the stone look non-existent...hard to really say. but 2 pointers, that seems like it would definitely be too much stone and metal, it may end up looking more clusterish?

i like it just the way it is but without rabbit ears! or bezel set it...i love those too.
2.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2005 1:46:05 PM
Author: Mara
here''s a caveat to using your 2 pointers to make a halo around that stone...

aljdewey''s stone is a 75 pointer, and i think she used 1 pointers around her stone, not 2 pointers. the halo ends up adding more width due to the metal so she didn''t want to use a smaller stone than the one she used because she was afraid that the melee and halo would overpower the stone itself. having seen it in person, the ratio she used was a good one in my opinion....

so i don''t know about putting a halo around a 35 pointer stone, even if you do 1 pointers like she did, the halo metal adds more width and it may end up making the stone look non-existent...hard to really say. but 2 pointers, that seems like it would definitely be too much stone and metal, it may end up looking more clusterish?

i like it just the way it is but without rabbit ears! or bezel set it...i love those too.
2.gif
You were thinking my exact thoughts.

I went to the jeweler today (when I should be wrapping gifts!) and brought my pendant there. He had some 2 pointers "laying around'' so he put them around the stone allowing some space for the metal of the halo. It was definitely not the look I wanted. You are right -- the center stone would look lost amongst the metal halo. If I had a bigger stone, I think the 2 pointers would be fine.

So that leaves either the 3 stone idea or the bezel. I think am leaning toward the bezel, but I want a really thin one. The jeweler said if I want it on a slide and not stationary with the Mickey Mouse ears, I would need a thicker bezel. Definitely don''t want that. Then again, no one I know has a 3 stone pendant.

If I do go with a bezel, which is better -- full or half? I used to think I liked the half better, but with this small a stone I''m not sure.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd do a super thin bezel that is stationary....not a big fan of half bezels, they usually have thicker metal.

i don't like when the stones move around on the chain like some people do, i am always afraid that if the chain breaks or something, that stone will go a-slidin' off into nowhere. i once had my chain come undone and didn't notice for a while, greg found it tangled in my hair and the only thing that saved the stone was that it was stationary and did not fall off.
40.gif

i love the diamonds by the yard bezel set stone, but just be sure the culet doesn't stab you. oh and the rabbit ears in person are much tinier than they appear, on my pendant especially.

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
I vote for a thin bezel that is attached to the chain like the Tiffany pic above. I have one that I wear all the time and it goes with pretty much everything. The culet doesn''t bother me at all. I think it your stone will look a little larger this way and maybe modernize it a little at the same time. Can''t wait to see what you decide.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one more idea. My sister has a pendant like this - a bar set pendant. It''s really pretty in person. Probably one of the less expensive options since I don''t have to buy any additional diamonds. Thoughts?

barpendant.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a nice bezel would look great for everyday. The halo is a bit dressier I guess. But with little kids a bezel would be a wise choice.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2005 2:22:35 PM

The jeweler said if I want it [the bezel] on a slide and not stationary with the Mickey Mouse ears, I would need a thicker bezel. Definitely don''t want that.

Even if the underside is thicker, this does not mean more metal around the stone. What is behind the girdle will never show face up. How wide the metal rim around the stone is depends on how it was fit in the setting - the ''wall'' of the bezel is carved out for that. How much, it depends on what you are asking for. It can be as little as a mill-grained edge showing around the stone. You may need to ask on purpose, because the wide ones seem more popular for some unknown reason.

Also, the bale of the pendant could be completely hidden in the back of the pendant (thing of a backpack!) with no need for rabbit years at all. This, I ave seen on very large pendants (colored) - but some version should work.

My (bezel fan''s) 2c

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ana. Does the bezel tend to flip over a lot if it''s a slide? My rabbit ear pendant never flips - a feature I really like.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel flipping...

It shouldn't. If there are two points of contact with the chain instead of one (either two bales like the DBY pendant or the two holes of a slide pendant qualify) - this should help, IMO.

Date: 12/20/2005 2:54:43 PM

... a bar set pendant.
Love it!

Here's a version:

12390.jpg

In fact, I was looking for one just like the one you have posted with the bar set with baguette diamonds or paved, but didn't find exactly that. I must have seen one recently though (Adwar maybe?).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I'm also a mom of two little children and own a .38 ct diamond set into a pendant. Mine is set into a thin bezel mounting and this style works well with every outfit.

ETA - mine is just like the diamonds by the yard that Deco posted, except mine is in platinum. The culet is exposed in this design. Some are bothered by the culet touching skin, but I'm not.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Love the bezel!

I know! I know! I know! Didn''t patty just do something really cute...There is no metal around the center stone...but there are small stones around it. And there a bezel around the whole thing. I have a really small pear shape (round center) like that. Really cute. I''ll try to find Patty''s...I think it''s hers. That''s the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results