shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Specs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dhelkey

Rough_Rock
Any opinion on these specs. Price is $5400

Carat weight: 1.02

Cut: Good

Color: E

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 67.0%

Table %: 56%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Medium to extremely thick, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 9.02x5.33x3.57 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.69

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a firm believer that you need to see a fancy shape stone like a pear in person to see if it ''speaks'' to you. Since ideal parameters have not been established, all one can do is see how the numbers provided fit into cut grade categories.

This stone is going to face up smaller than its weight because of the extremely thick girdle and the 67% depth. Does that mean it won''t look nice? No - my stone is deeper than preferred parameters, but it sparkles like mad.

The table is within 1A grade, but depth and girdle are in 3A range. Length to width is within preferred trade parameters. Here''s a grading chart. I recommend seeing the stone if possible, if not, at least some pictures before pulling the trigger?!

from gemappraisers.com

agachart.jpg

dhelkey

Rough_Rock
Based on the table. This might be a better looking diamond. By the way, it is from Blue Nile.

Carat weight: 1.05

Cut: Very Good

Color: D

Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 63.7%

Table %: 57%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 9.02x5.78x3.68 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.56

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely looks better, and promising. One thing I forgot to mention above is that you want to know how prominent the bowtie is on the stone. A prominent one is not a good thing. This is something that you really need to see - can''t be conveyed by grading charts. Here''s a prominent one below, and you don''t want this. Some bowtie is unavoidable, and most fancy shape stones will show a bit of bowtie depending on the lighting, but you don''t always want it to look like below.

Second, you need to find out if the SI1 grade inclusion is eyeclean or not. (Can you see the flaw without magnification). Keep in mind that eyeclean is usually judged at a distance of 10-12 inches from the stone, and personally I''d want my stone eyeclean at even 3-4 inches from my face, so you definitely want to ask.

bow-tie-pear.jpg
bowtie

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With a rather deep depth% AND a "vey thick" girdle comment, I''d say, "keep shopping". You will find a better combination of parameters. Unless you are in a rush, take more time, enjoy the process qand perfect your experience.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with what has been said thus far. The second stone is much more promising. The l/w ratio is definitely more pleasing, but that''s a personal preference. Pears are tricky. There is a lot to be considered. Personally, I think the shape and l/w ratio is top of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results