shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Diamond - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have been offered a pear diamond by a co-worker who's going thru a divorce. (yes, they all know i'm a diamond nut) It is a beautiful diamond. What concerns me is the depth.

The GIA report states:

Laser Inscribed: xxxxx
7.48 x 4.95 x 2.52
.61 carat
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 50.8%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted
Culet: Very Small
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Characteristics: Knot, crystal (way on the bottom)

Despite the shallow depth, t doesn't window, and there are no bowties. Are there any dangers in resetting such a shallow stone?

It comes in a very nice contemporary looking white gold mount w/ .25ctw rb diamonds, but i may reset it into a pendant and sell the mount on eBay.

I managed to talk her down to $950. What do you think?

ETA: it is GIA graded, and I've been looking for a pear diamond, so this comes at the perfect time.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Sounds ike you want it already! I thought the crown height was important for mounting/integrity.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I do, i do!! My goal is to get a pear pendant and an oval engagement ring, and i''ll be set forever.

as for the crown height, the old GIA report doesn''t come with that info, so i wouldn''t have any way of knowing. However, when i looked at it, it didn''t look too low. who knows.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
hmm.. hopefully there are no objections? if not, i''m gonna tell her yes on monday!!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In theory the shallow depth should 'window' the stone at a 20-25 degrees tilt (guesstimate here). But you know what? I would definitely not care about that for the size and give the use for a pendant (imagining the diamond drop in motion free to catch light wherever it may come from). I'd use a light open setting for it, as opposed to the heavy cast baskets out there, and give it a go... thinking of those pear earrings set in arched prongs posted on the color forum
34.gif
With the 50% discount
31.gif
there seems to be plenty of room for a nice setting.

Congratulations for the find!

My 2c...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Which arched prongs do you mean? I think it''s going to go into a swinging pendant, with a small rb diamond on top of it.
1.gif
If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE post pics!!

I looked at it under indoor & outdoor lighting, and that stone is a blinger. No windowing whatsoever at any angle, and soooo white! I''m beyond excited, but my wallet''s not too happy. This is going to be an expensive jewelry year. I now have 3 things to re-set!
14.gif
38.gif

oooh, and earrings! i already have a pair of pink dangling sapphire pears, but it would be nice to have diamond danglings too...
31.gif

Terri-Jo

Rough_Rock
Please post pictures for us to see monday.
emsmile.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 1:11:36 AM
Author: ForteKitty

Which arched prongs do you mean?
The tringular aqua dangles from a rough of tube-set round diamonds - tiny ones.. didn''t get that in the picture well (shows in the side view). I was refering to the setting of the earrings to the left: I have not seen anything like those elsewhere and how best to describe them than ''arched prongs'' ?

Wireframes.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 1:15:02 AM
Author: Terri-Jo
Please post pictures for us to see monday.
emsmile.gif
You bet i will!!!
9.gif
I think it''s supposed to rain here on monday & tuesday, so you might get some crappy pictures, but pictures are pictures, right?
5.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Val~ that pendant looks like it''d flip to the side when i wear it because it''s pointy in the back! I had a pendant that was like that, and it never stayed flat on my chest. and considering my chest is pretty flat, that shouldn''t have been a problem!
3.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 1:26:12 AM

Val~ that pendant looks like it''d flip to the side when i wear it because it''s pointy in the back!
Hm... I see what you mean.. And sure enough, a version of the setting made for an oval by the same guys has a frame on the back. Never thought that was meant to prevent flipping, but it sure makes sense.

Here''s this thing:

collage_sapphire.pendant.jpg

I am only referring to the way the center stone is set. Too bad there aren''t examples for solitaires in this style. Loved those airy prongs! (pretty obvious, I guess).

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Please tell me where you found those beautiful pictures Ana!! *drool*

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
hey, didn''t someone have an asscher cz made with the same prongs? i cant remember who tho!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
The price is righr, FK. Although the depth is a concern, if you have seen the stone in person and like it, then I would get it. Pears are very tricky. The numbers don''t always tell the story. For a pendant, this one sound like a great choice. Can''t wait to see pics.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 3:20:46 AM
Author: Jelly
Please tell me where you found those beautiful pictures Ana!! *drool*

Here it is

& the asscher pendant FK mentioned. I couldn''t locate the relevant thread on Pricescope for the life of me.
38.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That shallow depth is still scaring me. I think i''m going to take it to my jeweler first to make sure there''s no chance of the tip chipping/cracking/breaking off before i buy it. Unfortunately, he''s in Hong Kong for the next 3 weeks, and i haven''t found another in the area that i trust yet, so i wont own it for a while. what if she finds another buyer in the next few weeks?? Her lawyer bills are getting bigger so i don''t blame her for wanting to sell asap!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I gave in and told her i wanted to get it afterall, so there will be pictures tomorrow night! after going thru a whole bunch of pendant designs, i came back to a simple solitaire pendant like this one. Mine's only 0.61ct, the one in this picture is about .75. will it be too small as a solitaire?

19_12_sb.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2006 11:39:11 PM

Mine's only 0.61ct, the one in this picture is about .75. will it be too small as a solitaire?
Btw. it looks like there was a small round stone in the bale of this pendant and ... it fell off?

No, I don't think it is too small. No onea would think half carat round to be too small for a solitaire pendant and this one is quite a bit larger.

For the sake of posting something to look at - hers' one unusual 'diamonds by the yard' necklace. A colleague mentioned the shop & website - didn't know they existed until yesterday.

LINK

No idea what size are the pears or anything. Probably way smaller. One at the end of a chain - eventually with two 10-15 pointer round neighbours mid way up to the collar...
18.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t think it was going to be too small, but my friends were commenting how tiny it was and it''d disappera on my neck, so i started worrying! Oh, and i dunno if there was a small diamond or not, i found the picture on eBay while browsing for pendant ideas... thought the scroll design was pretty so i saved the picture.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2006 12:47:45 AM

I dunno if there was a small diamond or not, i found the picture on eBay while browsing for pendant ideas...
And in fact.. the picture is right and I wrong: there's no little diamond missing - this is what the setting looks like! I had this strong deja vu feeling when looking at it, but could not figure out where I had seen such settings (it was one of these catalogs of semifinished jewelry - Adwar, Stuller, Ingwer... or something). But it takes ages to browse through them.

There is one such settign shown with a square stone at Wink's. Typically, these pre-made settings come in all shapes and sizes, so if the hunch is right, one should already be there for your diamond.

The page at Wink's: link

and the relevant picture:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is Stuller #1905 available in 14KY and 14KW:
(3 prong up to 9 x 6 mm, 5 prong 10 x 7 mm and larger)

1905-5p.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
cool, thanks! do they have one with 5 prongs + chevron tip?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I have a problem with this new pear diamond. It's an E color and looks fine on its own, but it faces up really yellow when i compare it to my other diamonds. I took it to a jeweler to verify that it is indeed the same diamond as the GIA, but it's just SOOO much more tinted than my D & G rb. Granted, RBs face up whiter, but that much of a difference? My marquise is E as well, but it has strong flourescence, so it faces up whiter than my D rb.

It's currently in a white gold setting that's not rhodium plated, so the metal is yellowey... could that be the cause? the diamond is rather shallow @ 50.9% depth, so it seems to be picking up a lot of color. I cut a few strips of white paper and stuck it under the pavillion, and it seemed a bit whiter.

What are the chances that GIA mis-graded this stone? Even if it is a G, i still got a great deal, but the tint bothers me!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that seems so odd that it would be so much more colorful than your D if it was truly an E?

does it really matter if it''s for a pendant? you won''t even really see it...on your neck!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 1:15:46 PM
Author: Mara
that seems so odd that it would be so much more colorful than your D if it was truly an E?

does it really matter if it''s for a pendant? you won''t even really see it...on your neck!
that''s what''s bothering me tho... that it may be misgraded. Especially since it''s not only more tinted than the D, but the G as well!

the ring actually looks really good on my hand, so i may keep it in the setting. i should just get it rhodium dipped and see if the color improves.

i''ll have pictures posted tonight for sure. been so busy that i haven''t had time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results