shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear brillant with an open culet?

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
I posted this a few days ago in a different thread and a nice person suggested I should try my question here. I hope it is ok if i do so.
My lovely husband bought me this vintage ring for Christmas. It was put together in the 70s but the diamond had been purchased in the 60s. Or atleast that's what I was told. It appears the woman who made it had worked for a jeweler and was able to pick this diamond out from them. It was appraised to be a pear brillant but I didn't know they could be cut with an open culet. It definitely sparkles like a brillant cut but this threw me off when I saw the center. I am now curious if this is a common thing about pears that I didn't know.
I'm also very interested to hear about, in general, if this is something to do with cutting techniques or if maybe this stone could be slightly older than she knew. Thank you for all insights .

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
I posted this a few days ago in a different thread and a nice person suggested I should try my question here. I hope it is ok if i do so.
My lovely husband bought me this vintage ring for Christmas. It was put together in the 70s but the diamond had been purchased in the 60s. Or atleast that's what I was told. It appears the woman who made it had worked for a jeweler and was able to pick this diamond out from them. It was appraised to be a pear brillant but I didn't know they could be cut with an open culet. It definitely sparkles like a brillant cut but this threw me off when I saw the center. I am now curious if this is a common thing about pears that I didn't know.
I'm also very interested to hear about, in general, if this is something to do with cutting techniques or if maybe this stone could be slightly older than she knew. Thank you for all insights .

20230218_000033.jpg 20230217_235949.jpg 20230217_235957.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230219-213412_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230219-213412_eBay.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230220-101827_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220-101827_eBay.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 25

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would say the story and time frame sounds plausible.

Open culets on otherwise modern style pear brilliants either as a repair or cut that way while not that common is not unexpected.

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
This is very interesting I had no idea! I assumed it went in the same trends as older cuts to round brillants. Thank you for your reply!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The term brilliant refers to the cutting style.
Brilliant = facets run up ad down the stone.
Step = facets run sideways across the stone
Mixed = has both step and brilliant faceting.
Step and Brilliant both have a subgroups with the term modified added to the name.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also an old European cut has the same facets as a modern round brilliant just in a different combinations of % and angles.
Same with old style Pear Brilliants and modern Pear Brilliants.
There are also old style pear modified brilliants and modern versions that have the same facets but different % & angle combos.
so on and so forth......

Rosiedovepink

Rough_Rock
Also an old European cut has the same facets as a modern round brilliant just in a different combinations of % and angles.
Same with old style Pear Brilliants and modern Pear Brilliants.
There are also old style pear modified brilliants and modern versions that have the same facets but different % & angle combos.
so on and so forth......

This is all fascinating! Maybe a bit over my head but so interesting! Thank you for your detailed reply! I'm learning a great deal that I didn't even know existed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is all fascinating! Maybe a bit over my head but so interesting! Thank you for your detailed reply! I'm learning a great deal that I didn't even know existed.
Your welcome.
This might help:
Crown and pavilion facets are outlined in black.
The table facet on both is outlined in green and the red and blue colored pavilion facets are the same facets in the 2 different styles.
morse/wade is a OEC cut.
jointwire.jpg .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is the same thing for a step cut:
The facets run side to side rather than up and down.
step.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results