shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave halo split crown settings for yellow diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:18:22 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Widget, the cert is from EGL USA. I would indeed take the stone unmounted. My perference (at this moment, LOL!) would be to have it set in one like Irina photoshopped for me, having the corners a little more squarred off rather than following the stone exactly so that the halo itself was a bit more cushion-y. Do you think with the careful placement of pave stones and prongs that would look ok?
DeeJay, you''re not trying to fit a rounder stone in a square hole again, are you??
11.gif
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Widget and Ellen, you know *me* -- I gotta be difficult! Honestly, I'm very much looking forward to the stones that one of the vendor will have for me tomorrow at lunchtime, and another vendor called me this afternoon and said he should have something to look at too. It's agonizing to have to wait!! I'm sure tomorrow morning I'll be sitting there starting at the clock on my computer WILLING it to go toward noon, LOL!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol

Well post any pics you get!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:33:24 PM
Author: Ellen
DeeJay, you're not trying to fit a rounder stone in a square hole again, are you??
11.gif
2.gif
LOL...I was thinking the same thing! Like Yogi Berra, I thought I was suffering from deja vu all over again!
9.gif

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:33:24 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/14/2007 7:18:22 PM
Widget, the cert is from EGL USA. I would indeed take the stone unmounted. My perference (at this moment, LOL!) would be to have it set in one like Irina photoshopped for me, having the corners a little more squarred off rather than following the stone exactly so that the halo itself was a bit more cushion-y. Do you think with the careful placement of pave stones and prongs that would look ok?
DeeJay, you''re not trying to fit a rounder stone in a square hole again, are you??
11.gif
2.gif
Just say no to empty corners.
2.gif
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL @ widget and FG!!
9.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
DJ, that ring you tried on today is amazing! But the tacori ring kcoursolle suggested on page 2 (4th ring) is truly breathtaking!!!
30.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:04:39 PM
kcoursolle, the 3.04 square radiant is sold, but it hasn''t been taken down from the website yet.

I do like that oval, an I very well may end up calling it in, along with a radiant that DBL has.

Here are a few pics of the oval that I saw today. The stone is not as dark in person as it is in these pictures. Also, one of the things I like about this stone that I am not finding in A LOT of the other yellows I''ve looked at is consistency of color. There are no dead or dark zones in person, even though the pics show a bit of darkness in some spots. In MANY of the stones I''ve seen IRL the dead spots just glare right up at you immediately, or at the very least, become so obvious with the slightest tilt of the stone.
Bummer that it''s sold!

The color in these pictures looks a little greenish...is this what it look like in person?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kohdy, that IS a pretty setting!

kcoursolle, the stone looked SO DIFFERENT inperson that I was shocked by the pics! It is much lighter in color, and I recall it being green, but perhaps the underlying modifier is green?

BTW, what do you guys think of a setting like Moosejaw's wife's beautiful tsavorite by Maytal? I know it's not a split shank, but I think it looks substantial enough to be a stand alone ring.

Also, I can't seen to find the specs, specifically the measurements, of the tsavorite. Am I just missing them? I've been all over Moosejaw's posts and for some reason they escape me... I just wanted to see how the l/w ratio of the green stone compares to the one I looked at yesterday.

moosejaws tsavorite.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found the specs on the tsavorite! 9.0 X 7.4, so quite a big chunkier than the one I looked at yesterday (the tsav l/w is 1.22, the yellow oval I saw is 1.35). Oh how I love Maytal's work!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dee jay, you already know this but I LOVE moosejaw''s wife''s setting. I think it makes a terrific RHR and would look equally as beautiful with a yellow stone. I do think thought you should hold out for the shape you really want and not just settle for something so you can get it over with. If it''s a radiant you really really want, give the vendors a few days to find something.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. S., I''m going over to visit some stones that have been brought in for me today at lunch. I am just so torn over this stupid shape thing... I really *thought* I wanted a radiant or a cushion, but the oval yesterday just seemed so graceful to me...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 10:30:49 AM
Mrs. S., I''m going over to visit some stones that have been brought in for me today at lunch. I am just so torn over this stupid shape thing... I really *thought* I wanted a radiant or a cushion, but the oval yesterday just seemed so graceful to me...
Get the one that "speaks" to you.
2.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
hehe or get a radiant and squeeze it into oval halo
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2007 10:48:18 AM
Author: Pricescope
9.gif

You people!

(Hmmm... do you think that would work?
2.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 10:48:18 AM
Author: Pricescope
9.gif
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO ROUND STONES IN SQUARE SETTINGS ... EVAAAAHHHHHHH! (Say it w/me now!)
9.gif

Just wanted to say that Radiants are probably going to give you the most concentrated color look. Not sure if grading takes that into consideration ... i.e. a Radiant that is Light Fancy might appear as concentrated as a Fancy Oval?? Experts would have to weigh in on that ...

Oval isn''t so very different than the round you already have ... Cushion or Radiant would be more of an "addition" look-wise.

I dunno ... which one would be your IDEAL? Have you been wanting a squareish-stone -- or would the cushion rounded shape halo be a nice contrast to the square halo on your round.

It would be great to MAXIMIZE the differences in a way -- so you''ll have the broadest spectrum of looks in two pieces ... yet, say, Kaleigh''s three stone Oval looks amazing ... and, though arguably "similar" to her e-ring -- a whole new POW statement.

Eh, now I''m confused. (At least you''re not alone!)
1.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 9:04:50 AM
BTW, what do you guys think of a setting like Moosejaw''s wife''s beautiful tsavorite by Maytal? I know it''s not a split shank, but I think it looks substantial enough to be a stand alone ring.
Coud I just say that I LOVE this ring? Everything about it is just so perfect. The color of the stone especially is drool worthy!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well what a waste of 30 minutes of my life that was... the jeweler said she would be stoneS (S - plural; i.e., more than one stone) for me to look at. She had 1 (ONE), and it was 1.5 cts. Seriously folks, don't waste my frickin' time having me go over there to look at things that are NOT what I am even remotely going to consider.

The good news is I was able to get a bunch of pics of the just-a-little-too-small radiant, that has been my "ideal" since I started looking at yellows. I'll post those tonight and you all can tell me if I'm crazy to not buy it, which is what both of my downtown diamond shopping girlfriends think at this point, LOL.

And one other jeweler called me while I was out and said she will have two radiants and a cushion for me to look at by the end of the week. They're in transit from Israel right now so hopefully they'll be here by Friday.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 1:06:33 PM
She had 1 (ONE), and it was 1.5 cts. Seriously folks, don''t waste my frickin'' time having me go over there to look at things that are NOT what I am even remotely going to consider.
Gee Dee*Jay, you really make that 1.5 carat fancy canary radiant sound like gum on your shoe! I''m sure you didn''t mean the way it came out -- but consider that 95% of pscopers would be thrilled to have that.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2007 1:14:52 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 5/15/2007 1:06:33 PM

She had 1 (ONE), and it was 1.5 cts. Seriously folks, don't waste my frickin' time having me go over there to look at things that are NOT what I am even remotely going to consider.

Gee Dee*Jay, you really make that 1.5 carat fancy canary radiant sound like gum on your shoe! I'm sure you didn't mean the way it came out -- but consider that 95% of pscopers would be thrilled to have that.
1.gif

OH NO -- I TOTALLY DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY!!!

So sorry to anyone I might have offended. I absolutely apologize.

What I was trying to get across is that I gave her specific instructions during the course of a very detailed conversation and then she showed me something that was not at all what I asked for.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You didn''t offend me, I knew what ya meant.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of the radiant that I''ve been judging everything against. Funny, today I realized when I was turning it in the light, that the table is crooked on the stone. Not by *much*, but definitely crooked!

radiant close0001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, any opinions on whether a more rounded shape, like the oval, or a more squarish shape, like this stone or a cushion, looks better on my hand?

radiant hand0001.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think on YOUR hand, I prefer the Oval vs. a Rectangle. But in my MIND ... imagining it -- I like a CUSHION best of all!
9.gif

FWIW-- I''m sure frequent posters who *know* you (virtually of course) would never construe anything other than frustration at incoveneience from your earlier post.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
"So, any opinions on whether a more rounded shape, like the oval, or a more squarish shape, like this stone or a cushion, looks better on my hand"?

Thought it might help (well, me anyway) to see them together. Hope you don''t mind.
Yellow%2030001.jpg

radiant%20hand0001.jpg

The oval gets my vote!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for the oval....it makes your finger look longer.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm. well I love that radiant and setting but I''ve got to agree that from the pics, I really like how the oval looks on you, it''s just so classy looking...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe .. just maybe Irina will photoshop Moosejaw''s cushion-in-a-halo on your hand ... so we can see the cushion example & compare.

I think of Cushions as more "oval" than "square" but I guess it depends on the 1/w ratio. Moosejaw''s is very curvy & I think THAT shape of cushion would flatter your hand as the oval does.

The other thing about radiants/rectangular stones -- going to be more similar to your existing "Brick". Variety = SPICE!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, I've got at least one cushion coming in, hopefully by Friday, so we can see *everything*. And I'm glad you understood my earlier post. Definitely no snottiness intended on my part!

Ellen, thank you for putting the pics together. If I had any technical abilities what so ever I would have done it myself! Too bad the pics were taken in such different lighting environments.

Mokey and Mrs. S., I think you and Ellen are right about the oval looking better than the radiant.

I just hope the oval lasts long enough in the market that I can explore my other options and be SURE. I assume there aren't a ton of buyers out there looing for yellow ovals right now, but it would be just my luck that the moment before I would pick it as the winner someone else would snap it out from under me and I would have to start all over...
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results