shape
carat
color
clarity

Paul of Pearlman''s Jewelers Attempts to Scale Mount McKinley

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Paul-Pearlmans

Rough_Rock

This is Paul Elwell, CFO of Pearlman’s Jewelers, I will attempt to take the Pearlman’s flag to new heights as he attempts to climb Mount McKinley, the highest mountain in North America.

“Mount McKinley is a severe challenge even to the most experienced and able climbers, I look forward to conquering that challenge, and I’m thrilled that Pearlman’s Jewelers is supporting my expedition.”

Mount McKinley’s native Alaskan name is Denali, or “The High One,” and it is well-given; the mountain is all of 20,320 feet tall. Around 1,000 people try to scale the peak every year, and less than half succeed. Temperatures range from -20 F to 80 F, and climbers can encounter falling rock, icefalls, avalanches, and perhaps even sunburn and frostbite on the same day.

Further, the low pressure near the Arctic Circle makes 14,000 feet on Denali feel like 17,000 feet in southern mountains, so climbers have a difficult time processing oxygen. The first ascent was made in 1913, while the first through the normal West Buttress route was made in 1951.

Elwell’s expedition, which will also follow the West Buttress route, begins on May 15, stretching until June 7, 2008. He is an experienced climber, having gone mountaineering extensively in the Cascades in Colorado and in the ranges of Alaska. His goal is to scale the seven summits — the highest peaks on each of the seven continents. Elwell will post real-time updates and photos on his own web site, www.PaulElwell.net.

img_6481.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful picture... I''ll bet it will be amazing there!

Good luck and be safe!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pic, best of luck to you!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Wow~ Luck and prayers for you! Gosh, what an ad that could make....

Paul-Pearlmans

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your kind words. I took that photo last year while standing at Camp 1 (7800 feet) on Mount McKinley (20,320 feet). I am attaching a few more pictures I took last year to give you a feel for what it is like to be there. I highly recommend that anyone who visits Alaska take the sightseeing flight around Mount McKinley. Its spectacular and they also give you an option to land on the glacier. Standing the glacier and being surrounded my huge mountains like that shows you how small we really are.

img_6483.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is awesome; love the pics!!! Can''t wait to hear about your adventures!!!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Oh how cool is that!!!!! If only I could go too (however, I do not hike, camp, etc...
31.gif
)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck to you, Mr. Elwell! I wish you strength of body, mind, and lung!!! Can't wait to hear all about your climb and see pics upon your success!
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Paul, that's great news. When is/was the trip? Are you going with an expedition outfit and if so, which one? Where are you training?

DH is trying to go this fall, but the 6 weeks away from work is very difficult. He climbed Rainier last fall and is climbing Mt. Hood, King's Peak Mt. Elbert and some smaller peaks next month. We do some ice climbing on Mt. Washington in the winter and he trains there all the time with weighted packs in the summer. I only have one lung and have a more difficult time acclimatizing, so I tend to focus more on technical rock climbing, but I'd love to be able to do some of these expeditions. I'd love to hear more about yours!

ETA: Climbing the seven summits would be amazing, it was a goal we wanted to achieve before having kids. It will never happen, we could never afford it, but I really admire anybody who can achieve such a phenominal accomplishment.

Paul-Pearlmans

Rough_Rock

Hello Everybody.

This is Paul am back from Mount McKinley. The brief update of the trip is that due to potential frostbite i had to turn around on summit day at 18,200 feet. To press on would have risked my fingers and toes. You can read my dispatches on my website by going to www.paulelwell.net and clicking on the home link at the top. Thank to everyone for their support.

Paul

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I am happy to hear you are safe and sound without injury. Congratulations on such an enormous accomplishment!
Better on summit day, then day two...

Pictures!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Paul, I think you made a very intelligent and tough decision. It''s too easy to succomb to summit fever and that is how fingers and toes are lost. I applaud not only your decision, but the amazing accomplishment of making it to 18,200 feet. In the thinner air near the poles, that is simply incredible (heck, even 18,200 feet at the equater is amazing!) . Way to go!!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe next time
2.gif

But I hope you had a good time in AK!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results