shape
carat
color
clarity

paranoid mode - platinum setting not stamped...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lotuspetal

Rough_Rock
ok I am in a paranoid mode after talking to a friend - probably just being crazy, please bear with me...

I bought a very expensive center stone from a trusted source and had it set at a local jeweler here in Boston back in year 2000. They wanted $620 for a thin (2mm?) small (size 4?) 4 prong begget setting (baggets weight total .3 carat).

I think I was just very trusting back then - the guy tested the side baggets in front of using a tool, and told me that the ring is platinum - that''s that. They set the beggets and center stone into the setting in front of me. The appraisal he provided upon my request indicated it''s platinum bagget setting where two baggets weights a total .3 carat (verbally told me that the color and purity is close to my center stone - which looks that way to my untrained eye). For the center stone, he copied the spec from my certificate. But the receipt simply says "platinum bagget setting".

The ring has no stamp on it (eg. PTxxx). However I must say that it hasn''t tarnished after 5+ years and does feel heavy. I also went back to wanting to have it re-sized because it was still a little big. They told me that it''s difficult to resize a platinum ring and went ahead added two white gold tiffany drops to it.

Question 1) What is the chances that I have been juped? They are one of the stores in the diamond exchange building here in Boston. They are still in business. So I assume they have to be bonded by the law somehow... Is there much a concern that my ring has no stamp on it??? Note that they did provide a written appraisal (although didn''t specify platinum purity).

Question 2) Also, when they added the tiffany drops, I walked away for about a minute or two the most. When I came back, they were still softening the ring before adding the tiffany drops. Is it possible to take the stone off and put in a fake one in that little time? I dont really think that had happened judging by how much complement I gets every time on how beautiful the stone is.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, a few things:

a. It''s a "baguette."
1. You probably haven''t been duped. Has your ring developed a patina over the years? You can always go get it weighed, jewelers can tell by weight what the metal content is.
2. Slim to none. Although good jewelers can set a stone quickly, I don''t think anybody could do it that fast and make it good enough that you wouldn''t notice right away.
1.gif

Why don''t you take your ring to be appraised? You need an appraisal for insurance purposes, anyway. It''s inexpensive (maybe $50?) and will certainly give you some peace of mind.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
GG said it all. Follow her advice.
2.gif

lotuspetal

Rough_Rock
Thank you! The horror stories my friend was telling me really scared me. I felt so stupid for asking... I have been using the appraisal they provided for insurance purposes. I will get a second appraisal if I am still having panic attack tomorrow :) But I think you are right! The ring did develop a patina matching my wedding ring - which is also platinum - I bought from a different store.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
While most manufacturers will stamp the metal fineness marking on Platinum Jewelry, it is not required that they do so, but this may be changing in the future.

There are some legal requirements for marking gold. Gold IF it is stamped with a metal fineness stamping ( 14k 585, 18k etc.)
must also bear the company or person who made the item. Just an item with only the 14 karat stamp in it, without WHO stamped it may turn out to be underkarated.

There is a significant amount of information on the internet about this and on the Federal Trade Commission''s website www.ftc.gov. Also do a Google search using the Gold and Silver Stamping Act.

I believe that in the last couple of months, the FTC has commenced asking for industry comment about the markings of the platinum group of metals ( Palladium, Platinum etc). Whether this has current been passed yet, I am not aware of, but for items produced in platinum back a few years there was no legal requirement like there is for gold and siilver.

There is also in the works new combinations of precious metals that are white in color..... There is even 585 type platinum being developed and just beginning to become available.

Generally platinum is pretty easy to distinguish from gold. It is far more dense and feels heavier in your hand as compared with a gold item of approximately the same "diimensions".

I would not consider it cause for alarm if the item isn''t stamped. But most appraisers do have testing equipment that can show platinum or gold content. I''d opt for the electronic gold type tester over the acid scratch test type.

Another, not conclusive sort of examination is to see if the metal over the time its been worn retains is very "white" color.
White gold has a tendancy to appear slightly yellowish over time. Again this isn''t conclusive, but indicititive.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

lotuspetal

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information! Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results