shape
carat
color
clarity

palladium white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys

I''ve trawled the subject, and read much, and after seeing these images, just need a little help in locating a vendor or two who might do non rhodium plated solitaire mounts?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/links-to-pictures-of-white-gold-w-palladium-alloy.68101/

I have an ''I'' diamond, that really needs a little more warmth than the high gloss of rhodium plating, and platinum is too expensive right now (maybe!)

Can anyone tell me, after looking at the link, if the non plated ring looks more ''yellowy/straw'' coloured - or is it slightly ''greyish''?

I really love the warmer look of that setting though, and just need to locate someone who can do it, with also a matching wedding band.

Just as an aside - a question about palladium as a setting...

Weight for weight - does it compare favourably with say 14/18k white gold? And how might it look with an ''I'' diamond?

Many many thanks

26.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only answer the weight question.

Palladium is heavier than gold. I have a 14K Palladium setting and it is heavier than a similarly sized 14K setting. It seems lighter than a platinum ring I have (as would be expected) but the rings aren''t really built similarly enough to compare them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks more like stainless steel. If you put your hand over the other two in that comparison, it doesn't look as yellow IMO, so much as grey. Actually, it looks like a WG ring that has the rhodium plating wearing off a bit. Purely by my eyes. I haven't seen a palladium ring in real life, and I have been interested in the option myself. It's so hard to tell in pics.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
In the pic, the color looks more grayish. However- I''m pretty sure in real life the color would appear more yellowish to you. In the picture, the color appears to look like how palladium or palladium alloyed white gold rings look like in real life. FYI. Any vendor can "polish off" the rhodium plating on white gold to make it appear the warmer tone. Plating is only done in the last step of the manufacturing process, and some European designers don''t even do it- Mostly because they are using palladium as an alloy in their white gold, which gives the ring a grayer tone. Hope this helps. I have done many side-by-side comparisons.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pladium wg ring and so does my husband. I would say that it is a great metal that would be fine for an I colored stone. Overall, the appearance is similar to platinum. It''s a greyish color and it developes a slight patina similar to platinum. It is quite a bit lighter than platinum though and the heft of it is probably similar to my WG rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results