shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Pandora II for Silverware Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora II and PS Silverware experts -- I''d appreciate your input!

I have a set of vintage silverplate flatware that I''ve used daily for many, many years (Oneida Morningstar, circa 1948 -- I still love the pattern). For the many years it was trouble-free: use, hand wash (sometimes, eventually
20.gif
) and occasionally use a silver polish that I could get at the grocery store. A few years ago I started adding to my silverplate collection via e-bay. I was also intrigued by other cleaners, particularly a cream that claimed to help restore luster and prevent tarnish as well as cleaning silver. I tried Maas on some holloware and was impressed with the results, so I also used it to give my flatwear set a tune-up.

Lately my flatwear has been spotting really, really badly and really, really easily. I''m wondering if it''s due to the polish I used, or if this set''s time is just up.

I''d appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have. I''m about ready to give uo on this set and put one of the other sets I''ve acquired via e-bay (
2.gif
) into daily use. I''d like to avoid these problems with the other set(s) if possible.

Thanks!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Is it silver-plate or sterling?

If it''s silver plate, I would say that it sounds like its time has come.

You can put silver/silver plate in the dishwasher, but ONLY if there is no other metal item in there - this is particularly important with plate. I always err on the safe side and wash my sterling by hand.

It''s a bad idea to polish too often as you are removing a layer of silver each time. I polish flatware once a year before christmas and the rest of the time I use the ''butler''s thumb'' ie a soft cloth and some elbow grease and just buff them up.

Personally I don''t buy plate at all, as I prefer to buy pieces that will last a lifetime and not have to be replaced. In the end it normally makes economic sense as well.

The silver cleaner that I use is Duraglit (I also use this on copper and brass), it''s hardwork, but the results are worth the effort and I love the smell!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pandora II -- Thank you for responding so quickly! I''m afraid you may be right about this set being past its pull date. What''s puzzling me is that the problem seems to have hit a lot of pieces at once, including serving pieces that aren''t used nearly as often as the forks and spoons etc. Still, I''ve given the affected pieces one more thorough cleaning with Haggerty''s foam... if the spots return, I''ll probably get rid of it and pull out another set.

I understand what you''re saying about sterling versus silverplate. I finally indulged in a 14K watch for that very reason -- I know I''ll never have to worry about plate wear (and the innards can easily be swapped out if necessary). Do you have a strategy for buying sterling without breaking the bank? Vintage silverplate flatware can be such a bargain -- I suspect many people inherit sets and sell them for next to nothing because they think they''ll require a lot of upkeep -- that I''ve bought several sets for far less than I''d pay for a good set of stainless.

Thanks again for the input.

And... congratulations on your recent marriage. I wish you and Mr. Pandora all the best!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm collecting a canteen of cutlery at the moment.

Sadly I like Old English pattern which is a very simple plain one and sadly one of the most popular! I trawl Ebay for pieces - I have two serving spoons that I paid about $30 each for which was pretty good.

Sets of forks will go for a lot more than individual pieces, and knives are hard to find as bone-handled knives are perfectly acceptable and so people often had these instead.

Buying pieces individually is more difficult as you need to get the length of the handles and the tines the same as well as overall look.

Fortunately a lot of people just can't be bothered with the hassle of silver and so it's reasonably cheap at the moment. You might find the UK ebay worth a look - I find it cheaper than the US one (I can't believe the prices American's will pay for napkin rings. I won't pay more than about $35 max, yet I see them go for $100s in the US - and it's not as if they are great makers or anything).

You have a lot more 'frilly' patterns over there, whereas the English patterns are much simpler - King's Pattern is about as detailed as it gets - so if you like the more detailed pieces you won't find a lot.

I was thrilled to be given a number of pieces as wedding presents. I just think the gleam of silver on a dining table is so beautiful and worth all the upkeep to me.

DH wanted a nice set of stainless steel flatware for everyday and we chose a very modern set by a great designer, but I gulped at the price as it wasn't far off what I pay for sterling! And, sterling holds it's value!

Thank you for the congratulations - we are truly blissfully happy, and hoping for a little addition as soon as we can produce one!
9.gif

(Then I can buy all the gorgeous silver baby cutlery sets, rattles, brush sets and egg cups....)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results