shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Haven and any other M and lower-color OMC/OEC owners!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Paging Haven and any other M and lower-color OMC/OEC own

I have three M AVC's now that I took a few pics next to the J/K AVC five stone band I had. I can't get the pictures to post tho.

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock

rubybeth|1335444976|3181324 said:
Yay, Zahra, I was hoping you'd chime in! Your ring is another on my Pinterest page as a favorite, obviously as it is clearly one of the most fabulous rings ever (coming in only slightly behind Liz Taylor's jewels, IMHO). :bigsmile: I know *exactly* what you mean about very high color stones looking 'blue' white. That is how I feel about skim milk vs. 2% or whole milk. Skim looks blue, and the higher fat content looks properly white/creamy. Maybe it's something about my terrible nearsightedness, but I prefer a warmer modifying hue to a cooler modifier. I am not an arty person, maybe I should ask my DH how to explain that better.

Anyway, the rainbow of colors is what is really interesting to me, the way the old cuts catch light and show colors is just lovely. The fact that they pick up colors from your clothes and environment just makes them fun little chameleons. I've never been drawn to modern round brilliants, but seeing all these OECs and OMCs on Pricescope has shown me that shape matters less to me than personality.

That's very kind of you to say, and while I do love my ring very much, I'm quite sure that Ms Taylor's jewellery collection was far more impressive than mine! Something to aspire to, at least.

I live in Western Australia, which is pretty isolated from the rest of Australia and certainly doesn't have anything like a large selection of diamond vendors to choose from. When we first started looking, I realised quite quickly that I didn't like the way that higher coloured stones looked against my skin (I am very, very, very, very pale olive toned), but I also didn't love the way that lower coloured stones looked in modern cuts. It wasn't until I discovered JbEG that I realised that antique diamonds presented the perfect combination - lower colours with bigger facets to really take advantage of the array of hues that lower coloured stones exhibit. The bonus was that they were also far cheaper than their modern equivalents, so I ended up with a much bigger stone than I ever could have hoped for.

I've been wearing the ring for almost two months now, and while people still grab it and admire it, no one has ever said anything about it looking yellow or tinted. That's neither here nor there to me (I love my stone for what it is, and wasn't overly concerned about making it look 'whiter' when I was setting it), but it does somewhat prove my suspicions that people really can't tell the differences between a high coloured diamond and a low coloured diamond in a real life setting. So really, there are absolutely no downsides to buying a low coloured old cut diamond - you get more bang for your buck, you get something a bit unique and you also get people fawning over it, not realising that it is a lower colour. What's not to love?

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock

One of the most drool-worthy threads on PS! :love: :love:

Here are some pics of my 2.1ct O AVC and friends before setting. Its definite yellow tint made rose gold a requirement; the juicy combo looks ivory/white in most lights. Size is 7.58 x 7.45mm. I think if my stone was to be a more prominent part of my collection that L/M would be a sweeter spot. Link to it set.

O AVC Flash.jpg

O AVC.jpg

O AVC Indoordiffuse.jpg

O AVC1.jpg

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock

Some comparisons post setting. The semi-bezel does definitely change the way the stone photographs, though IRL it looks more like the ones above:

Trio.jpg

Trio1.jpg

Trio2.jpg

Trio3.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Those are absolutelty delicious to drool over aeolianarpa!!! Fantastic ings you have :appl: :love:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Aeolianarpa, I *love* that AVC! Yummy! And the Krikawa setting just makes it pop even more. :love:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll add a few of my M OEC

DSCN2411.JPG

DSCN2378.JPG

DSCN2338.JPG

springolators

Rough_Rock

bright ice|1335831738|3184422 said: