shape
carat
color
clarity

*****Paging Elsie!!!!!******

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a couple questions pertaining to your Krikawa sapphire RHR. I saw in the original thread that the stone was 3mm, but I was wondering how wide the whole ring is in general? Also how thick is it? And I noticed that it was palladium and I was wondering how that was holding up compared to WG? And how long did it take to get to you?

I''m sure I''ll come up with more questions the more I think about it.

I''m considering that ring as a wedding band and I''m having this internal debate about platinum, palladium and WG-so any insight you have on the metals would be awesome!

Anyone else, feel free to chime in if you have any info!

Elsie''s original thread!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Hey, FrekeChild! (Ooh, my first page
1.gif
)

I''m looking back at the e-mails I sent back and forth with Krikawa, and they said that the curls band is approximately 2.2-2.5mm wide (the band part). Since everything''s custom-made, you should account for some discrepancies -- in fact, mine is probably a little less than 2mm in width (probably between 1.5 and 2mm).

In terms of thickness of the band, I''d say it''s pretty substantial given how petite the ring is -- probably about 1mm thickness. The band is pretty "round" (comfort-fit), so also very comfortable.

I ordered the ring on September 13 and they estimated it would be ready on December 5 (I think they ended up getting it to me around Thanksgiving, though). If you are thinking about ordering from them, I would suggest contacting them early -- they might be even busier nowadays since I noticed they''ve raised their prices substantially since I worked with them.

I have been wearing the ring on and off since I got it (not every day), but the palladium has stayed very shiny and bright. I do prefer the color to my Blue Nile WG engagement ring (which has turned a buttery yellow on the underside, starting a few months after I started wearing it). However, I believe that how the metals wear probably depend more on supplier and manufacturing processes. For example: my wedding ring is also WG, but from Signed Pieces -- and it hasn''t turned color yet (I''ve had it for almost 6 months). On the other hand, my original wedding band was a palladium band from eWeddingbands.com and it started getting all scratched up and dull-looking within 3 months, which I didn''t like.

I, too, struggled with the metals issue -- my e-ring was WG, so I didn''t want to get something that was incompatible. Platinum was a bit too pricey, and I didn''t want to work with WG because of the yellowing. I would highly recommend palladium, especially if it''s manufactured by someone who really knows how to work with it (and I believe the folks at Krikawa do). The only thing you might want to take into account is that not a lot of jewelry stores are equipped to work with palladium, so you may have to send your ring back to Krikawa for any repairs.

Please feel free to write back if you have any more questions! I''m so rarely an expert on anything jewelry-related, that it''s nice to be answering rather than asking once in a while.
2.gif

I''d also highly suggest contacting the people at Krikawa -- they''re pretty good at answering questions (it may take a few days to a week for them to respond to e-mails, but they''re pretty easy to catch by phone).

Good luck with the decision! And as always, please post pics when you do decide!
3.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I have a palladium wedding band and a white gold e-ring. There are been bunches of threads on palladium/white gold/plat, but I thought I''d quickly let you know what my experience is.

I like the shine of WG better than I like the patina of plat (which is definitely one of those a personal preference things), so I prefer WG for my e-ring. I do realize though that I need to keep an eye on my WG. I have broken a prong already - I didn''t even whack it on anything that I know of. WG is simply more brittle. The back of my ring (the part that is on the palm-side) does start to take on a little more yellow after about a year, so I plan to re-rhodium once a year (did it once already before our wedding). I''m okay with the upkeep as a trade-off for the look I like and the price that was in our budget.

I really wasn''t sold on having a palladium ring at first. I was scared because of a few things I read here. I have a thiiiin (1.7mm) band, and I was afraid that since palladium is also a malleable metal that it would bend. It hasn''t. The palladium is very shiny, very white, and it doesn''t turn like WG does. It''s also very white which I like. Had my e-ring been available in palladium, I would definitely go for it. Not a whole lot of people are working with palladium right now I don''t think - my ring is Artcarved and I''m pretty sure their entire ladie''s bridal line is in palladium. If you can, I would definitely try on the different metals and see what you think - some people love the weight of plat, some people love the darker patina, others like the metal to be shiny and white, others like rings that are light. It really comes down to what you like on you.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo!!! Yay! Just what I like to come home to after a stressful day at school!

Here''s how I see the metal debate:
WG Cons:
turns yellow after a while
has to be rhodium plated
WG Pros:
Cheap
"White" metal
light weight
remains shiny for some time

Plat Cons:
EXPENSIVE
Patina (which I don''t mind)
Heavy
Plat Pros:
mostly indestructible
"White" metal

Palladium Cons:
No one seems to work with it
Acids corrode it
It absorbs Hydrogen
Palladium Pros:
Cheap
Light weight

Feel free to correct me if I''m wrong about any of those!

On an everyday basis I wear 3 silver rings, I actually really like the nicks and scratches that I get on them from getting beat up everyday. I''m not someone that''s going to worry about the weight of my rings, so I don''t take that into consideration. The one thing that is turning me away from plat is price-I could swing it for a plain e-ring and a plain w-ring but the problem is that I want another wedding band (the Krikawa ring) for a little extra somethin'' so I can mix and match and stack, but if I''m going to do that I want all three metals to be the same, and I''m thinking that most jewelers in my area (NM) aren''t going to be able to work with palladium, so I''m thinking that I''m going to have to go with white gold because price is an issue. Right now in our lives, BF and I just can''t swing 2 grand for jewelry.

This is my current plan: white gold e-ring with a platinum head with blue zircon (2-2.5 mm), plain old white gold band (2-2.5 mm) and white gold Krikawa band with a sapphire.

I will probably wear all three rings pretty much everyday and from what I''ve heard it''s bad to have different kinds of metals rubbing against each other, so thats why I wanted to start thinking about it.

I tried talking to BF about this and he said, "Well if you wear silver everyday, lets just get silver rings made!" to which I told him that I didn''t want silver rings and he told me that getting WG plated regularly really wasn''t that big of a deal and to get over it.
20.gif

So I''m going to draw out a new plan for the E-ring, keep the plan for the w-rings in the back of my head until I actually get the e-ring and then call Krikawa. Right now I think it''s all preliminary footwork.

Here''s a question Elsie--How hard was it for them to find a stone? You said that you specified medium bright blue I think-did that extend the time it took to make the ring?

Thank you so much for answering Elsie-I just can''t get enough of your ring, I think it''s gorgeous, and I want one of my own!

Elmorton- Are you noticing any extra wear between the two metals? I love the idea of palladium but I''m just concerned about the hydrochloric acid thing because I cook a lot, and I don''t usually take off my rings to do so. I''ve read a few threads about the metal debate, and it really hasn''t cleared anything up for me, I''m still as confused as ever.

Ladies-what made you go with the metal you decided on for your e-rings, w-rings etc? Are there any metals you would definitely NOT use, and why?

elsie

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild, just to add fuel to the fire (I know I also spent a lot of time agonizing over the different metals) you might also want to look at this post about WG/platinum, etc.

link

Garry mentions that perhaps palladium might do better worn next to WG than platinum (if you are considering that route).

Your current plan sounds lovely! The blue zircon will go wonderfully with the sapphire.

In terms of the sapphire for my ring -- I originally ordered the 2mm (standard size, I think) and they actually sent me the sapphire to make sure I was okay with the color. When I received it, it looked so tiny that I thought I'd want something a bit bigger. I just told them to get me a 3mm, and they went ahead and got one and made it without me okaying the new sapphire (I was fine with that). Also, in case you're interested -- it was ~$70 more for the bigger sapphire. This didn't change their timeline at all -- in fact, they still delivered a bit early. It seems like they have good access to gem suppliers (you can even request some other type stone -- there was a girl that posted on the internet who requested a green diamond for this same ring), so they probably won't take too long to find a stone, especially if it's only in the 2-3mm range.

I'm so excited for you! I love my ring and am glad to see others are appreciating Krikawa's unique designs. I currently have my eye on that Delicate Leaf Wedding Band -- too bad they weren't offering that when I got married!

Note: Edited because I wasn't making any sense...
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elsie
I was randomly searching the internet years ago when I happened to come across the Krikawa site, and promptly forgot the name of it. Luckily I came across your thread somehow (no idea how!) and recognized it. I've always seen myself with the plain bands for a w-set but I have two sides to my jewelry personality-really ornate and really minimalistic. The plain shank and band appeal to the minimalistic side of me, but they didn't do anything for that ornate part. I really really like the Tiffany Swing ring (which is how I found Pricescope actually) but there is no way I'd pay 3,500 for a ring that is that tiny or Tiffany (plus I'd want blue stones!), but was considering having a replica made for a while. Then I saw your ring and that idea flew out the window because I love the design of it so much! Even though it's not as ornate and busy as I would go with fashion/costume jewelry, I wouldn't want it for my w-band, or as the case may be, ONE of my w-bands. However, the proposal is most likely a year off, so it'll probably be a while until I get to post any pictures. Until then, I'll try to keep to my current design, and make sure he's very aware of what I want!

I'll definitely go for a 2mm medium blue sapphire, kind of like your color! That delicate leaf band is gorgeous!

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Again, always glad to help!

Wow, that swing ring is scrumptious -- can''t believe I never saw that before. You and I have similar jewelry tastes, I think. That''s great that you''re already planning what you want -- my husband actually surprised me with an engagement ring (I was one of the few not expecting anything at all), and that''s how I really got interested in jewelry. Then I started obsessing about what kind of band, what metals, and ooooh, look at all the pretty stuff that was out there that I never noticed before!

It''s a fun process, though -- and great that your FF is involving you in the design process. I''ll be impatiently waiting for your proposal so you can share e-ring, w-ring, and Kw-ring (Krikawa wedding ring) pics with us!!! Hee hee!

And ya know, it just doesn''t stop. I''m planning/researching/saving for that bezel pendant next...
2.gif

BTW, is that a corgi in your avatar? What a sweetie!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We definitely have the same taste! Do you have pics of your wedding set floating around on here somewhere? I saw the adorable ring/book/heart shadow pic-so so cute!!

Well, he''s one of those guys thats either too lazy to try to figure out what I want or one of those guys that doesn''t want to risk my disappointment.
28.gif

I literally just sat down and wrote down all the specs for my e-ring and even drew a little picture so he can just take it and show it to the jeweler and pay for it, and then give it to me! I think I''d be happy either way surprised or not because he''s dang good at picking out jewelry for me. We were originally looking at 1/2 carat diamonds but then I decided I didn''t really want one-mostly because I''ll inherit my mom''s 1.5 princess, and I''m just not a huge diamond girl (I know, the shame!). Anyway, we started shopping last February and that''s when he realized that he wanted to deal with nasty greedy jewelers as little as possible.

I''ve been eying this spinel for a bit, and BF told me that if I bought the stone, he''d get the setting for me for my birthday, which is in April, so I know what you mean about the planning, researching and saving!

Yeah, that''s my Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Judge (my dad''s an attorney and wanted to boss a judge around for once), who lives with my parents and he''ll be 15 in September. He is all about posing for the camera, and I have never taken a bad picture of him. He''s really my dog, because I talked my dad into getting him, but he lives with them because I live in a condo and would feel bad about him not having a yard. He is a cutie though!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Hmm... I don''t actually think I have a pic of my wedding set posted. Here are a few that I found on my computer. It''s a 1/2 carat princess in a cathedral setting. I know what you mean about being a huge diamond girl -- you can get so much more bang for your buck with some gemstones and still keep the sparkliness and wow factor.

Well, either way if your boyfriend is too lazy or doesn''t want to risk your disappointment (I prefer the latter), he sounds like a good guy all around if he can pick out nice jewelry!
3.gif
I''m still trying to train my husband -- hard to make it stick.

I love Corgis. We''ve been kicking around the idea of getting a dog, and a Corgi would be on the list. They seem like such loveable dogs (and they''re so cute with their short legs!).

And ooh, my birthday is in April, too! (3rd)

ElsiesSet.JPG

elsie

Shiny_Rock

ElsiesRing.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats the mm measurement on your w-band and e-ring? I love Corgis- he''s the second one that we''ve had, the other one was female and I think she had a very traumatic past-we got her in a pet store and she was ON SALE because she''d been there so long. She was nearing about 8 months old when we got her. She was always anti-social and bit a lot. Judge on the other hand is the most amazing dog ever. He seems to understand just about everything we say, and he knows how to tell us when he wants to go outside and whatever else he wants. When he was younger he would herd us, small children, other dogs, pretty much everyone and everything he could. Which was really funny to watch. I love Corgis, and would totally recommend them as pets. I would just say- get one while it''s a young puppy!

He says he doesn''t want to risk my disappointment, so I''ll believe him.
10.gif

elsie

Shiny_Rock
I''m not exactly sure what the mm measurement of the e-ring is, but I think it''s close to 3mm or less (the description for the same setting on Blue Nile says 2.7 mm, but I''m not sure if that''s changed in the last 2 years since mine was purchased).

The wedding band measures 2mm (highly recommend the Signed Pieces ring -- no yellowing on the WG yet!).

That''s so cute that your dog was using his herding instinct! Yeah, when we get a dog, we will definitely get a puppy -- the only thing is trying to figure out a schedule where one of us is available to come home at least once during the day! Ahh... if only I could win the lottery...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all of your help elsie! It''s much appreciated! And you''ll have to post pics of your puppy whenever you guys can manage to find time for one!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results