shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Angel7 - Saturday''s Game Plan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hiya!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Okay -- This is what I was thinking ... You''ll need to be prepared. Since you are on the verge of seriously considering diamonds, this is serious business.
34.gif

Do you know what you are looking for in both rounds & princesses - since you are interested in both - so that you can tell, after looking at the stone & the certs, for example, if they are "good" ones?

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god you are scaring me. Ok, I''m going to focus and concentrate. Ok, when I''m looking at diamonds..this is the information I''m armed with:

Princess: I used the chart that I found here on PS. Since I have yet to run into anyone IRL who carries AGS000 stones, this is what I go buy. I know my color and clarity range but have to be open to seeing others that are not in my range..cuz you never know!

http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp (Changed to Rounds for RBs)

Round:
Haven''t really "looked" yet but again I used the handy dandy chart I found on PS..is that right? Oh god I''m going to fail! This is like PS bootcamp! Again, I have not had the pleasure of seeing an AGS round BUT I did print out prices and stats that Whiteflash gave me on ACA stones and ES stones! :) (Also ES and AGA for princess too)

Maybe this link is helpful to me as well?:
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/summary.asp

Ok coach, how did I do?
32.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Nice!
36.gif

I''ve attached another pic as well that gives you the "ideal" proportions for a round brilliant.

I don''t know much about princesses so I can''t help you in that regard, however, it looks as though you are pretty well armed.

I know you''re probably all over it, however, I really want to make sure that they take you seriously this weekend since you''ve had such bad experiences so far.

I know this might sound like I need to step away from the pipe but ... have you considered creating a spreadsheet or something similar?

This way you can track your "ideal range or specs" and compare them against the options the jeweler is presenting for you. This way you can keep track of the pricing and the other specs and it makes it so much easier to keep it all straight in your head. Also, you may want to just research a few of your "favorites" from online, specs, pricing everything and if/when you are serious about a diamond and talking price, you can provide these as examples for any possible price matching initiatives.

Any thoughts -- Actually, I should ask you, what is your plan this weekend? Are you going to RB or the other place first?

idealproportionspic.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Love the new avatar!!

By the way ... did you know that you are the #1 LIW?!! I just saw that yesterday!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 12:31:16 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Love the new avatar!!

By the way ... did you know that you are the #1 LIW?!! I just saw that yesterday!

Yes, don't remind me! I started on PS way back in 2005 and was with my current bf then and have been a LIW since!
31.gif
They recently took me off but I had to chime in and let them know I'm still alive and still single!
3.gif

Thank you for the picture. I will print it out and add it to my file of stuff! A spredsheet? So keep a tally of all the diamonds I have seen? I just have them written down for now since I only have 2 but after this weekend I may have more to add..good idea!

Plan for this weekend. Ok, tomorrow (Friday) I plan on going to another RB location and trying on the Simon G ring and take pics and really decide which I like more. Saturday - Diamond shopping. Maybe go back to the first jeweler I went to and try on ring #1 again and have them pull some RB's for me.

Goals for this weekend: 1. Decide which setting I adore more. 2. Choose between RB or Princess for center stone and then start searching for a great one!

Also, WF has been sending me RB stones and I plug them into the cut advisor and of course they've all been in the excellent range since they are ACAs..another tool I've been using!
9.gif

How am I doing? What did I miss?
21.gif
Thanks pal!
36.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
A spreadsheet or some form of table or formal list ... yep. Sounds nutters but it was really helpful to me. It keeps a great tally of the diamonds you have seen but, more importantly, it also tracks them and their "fit" against your "criteria" or preferred specs. Makes it easier to "weed out" the ones that are not your favorites.

I like the plan. Actually it sounds perfect ... I'm dying now. I would love to see both on your finger and try to help you decide. I don't think it will work though... They are both gorgeous. I wouldn't be able to choose. If you are able to decide, this should make the rest a lot easier b/c then you can just focus on the diamond, right?
Saturday sounds busy but tons of fun ... You'll be going to the lady near work and then you'll be going to the original place again, that you went to last weekend, right? Good stuff!! I really hope that they pull you some nice ones so that you can decide if you are a rb or princess girl for certain.

You are doing great! You have clear goals and an end in sight so everything is in order! You don't need my help.
15.gif

Since you have all the PS specs with regards to cut, what are you looking at re: color, clarity and carat weight? Are you waiting to see the diamonds in real life to decide or do you have some parameters set up already?

I was thinking that you were around the following:
Color - F/G/H
Clarity - VS2 - Si2 (eyeclean, as in NADA visible with the naked eye)
Carat - 1.15 - 1.25?

Also, don't back down from requesting to see AGS & GIA graded stones. By all means, they can show you whatever else they would like and you can enjoy that, however, when it comes down to your purpose, you want to make it clear that, in addition to their EGL or IGI graded stones, you would like to see their AGS & GIA graded diamonds ... just for comparison sakes.

Try not to get your back up at RB & go in with an open mind. You might be pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed. I've found that the jewelry business has a lot to do with rapport and building relationships ... if you can get your sales associate to "like" you, even if only for the 1hr or so that you are there, they are far more willing to do what it is that you would like or bend over backward to help you out.

Do you have any questions or have you been thinking about or wondering anything else at all?

One thing I wanted to mention ... I was thinking about it last night. If you love the SG setting, I doubt the bf is going to give you beef over the price difference. Based on the $6 - $7k you will all be spending anyways ... that's a drop in the bucket considering that this is for you, right? Now, the Novo ... that would be a different story. tee hee.

eta -- The Cut Advisor is a great tool ... that reminds me ... when you're looking at RB's, ask the jeweler if you can view them via their Idealscope or Hearts & Arrows finder. This image should be helpful in determining the performance of the stone you are looking at. This info + the Cut Advisor info should give you just what you are looking for.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Sacha - I did have a question, flour..what's your take on it? Do you like some or prefer the stone to have non?

Yes, once I finally decide on a setting I think I'll be a little more focused. The bf said last night that the price diff is so small it doesn't matter, he just likes the first one more. I asked my best friend and she agreec BUT that's not a hand shot pic so I think that makes things different..you know? On the number 1 bf says, once you put the wband on you do have the pave look from the side so that shouldn't be a factor. He DOES have a point there HOWEVER it just a look I like..so sue me!
9.gif

If they show me crap, I'm going to ask them to show me the best they have JUST so I can see which shape I want more..I don't see me buying from a store here in IL. They are overpriced and not the quality I seem to be seeking PLUS NO SALES TAX! Thanks again for that!
36.gif

I'm hoping this LA guy will ship us some stones to look at. BF's best friend said he did that for him.
I will need your help so don't go anyhwere!
3.gif

Parameters:
Color - F/G/H (Would love a D or E but for budget reasons, a well cut stone in these colors will be just fine)
Clarity - VS2 - Si2 - I was thinking maybe stopping at SI1. Big difference?
Carat - 1.15 - 1.25? - That would be ideal. I've been telling jewlers to pull anywhere from 1.0 -1.4 (although not going to get close to that but just to see for comparison sake)

You are right, I need to be a bit more strict with what I want to see. I did that at RB and look what happened..they brought out that pin head Diamontologist or whatever he was!
19.gif

Thank god I really disliked the Novo..that is NOT in the budget!
Ok anything else you can think of?

OHH I HAVE A QUESTION...did yo uuse the loupe when you would go? If you did..what the hell should I be looking for? Black spots? I love using it but always feel like I'm getting laughed at!
14.gif

imgnotfound.jpg
Why isn't my smiley working? I took it from the Smilies PS page..so sad!
39.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Fluorescense -- interesting ... some people LOVE it but I chose to not have any. This is MY understanding ... apparently, if you have a lower colored stone, sometimes fluor can make it face up whiter. Everything I read while I was researching diamonds didn''t really think it was a great attribute for a stone, therefore, I insisted on not having it. I was just scared b/c after reading all this stuff talking about how fluor can make a stone have a milky appearance, I chose to shy away from it. Now, after having been on PS, I know that that is not true, however, my preference is to not have any fluor or, if necessary, just a little bit b/c it really amts to about the same.

So... the plot thickens. Your bf is okay with the price diff but your best friend likes the other one too. Hmm? Why? I wonder what is making them lean one way or the other. Can you post pics of the both settings again please so that I can drool or.... uh, compare them again?

The LA connections sounds cool ... Should be interesting to see what he has to offer. My vote is still with Mary but I can''t wait to see what this guy can show you, after all, he came recommended, right.

Parameters look good and as long as you know why you have chosen them, you''re fine. Re: SI1. This gets tricky. I would have LOVED to get a great SI1 but I truthfully couldn''t find one. They all had some form of visible inclusion. They were just not eyeclean enough for me so I chose to get a VS2 and avoid the problem altogether.

Absolutely use a loupe AND their microscope as well to check those puppies out. The loupe takes some getting used to but ask the sales person for some assistance in using it and you should catch on no prob. Figure it out and use it.
Black inclusions are gross ... bad!
14.gif
That''s exactly what you are looking for. White inclusions, in minimal quantities are preferred. This way, they are less visible right and if there isn''t a huge cloud or something like that, they shouldn''t affect light performance, especially given the clarity range you are considering.

Does this help?

PS -- I''m sad your smileys aren''t working either. I love them!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I figured no on the flour but just wanted to double check.
Ok here is a pic of the two again...
I think it''s cuz there is no hand shot, that''s why #1 is getting more votes. I tried searching for the ring on Simon G''s website. but nada. Can''t find it anywhere!
38.gif

Yes you helped very much as always!

Ok, got it with the loupe. That''s pretty much what I was doing.

Yeah we''ll see what LA jeweler comes back with and I do have Mary that''s good..at least I have options!

I really think I''m leaning towards Round...why all of a sudden? Cuz its easier to tell a good one from a bad one? Do I like the sparkle more? I wonder if GOG has a video of a Round vs princess..hmmm...should check that out now.

Do you think I should do some work today? Nah, I''ll stick to PS!
9.gif

comparesimongvsnonsimong.jpg

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
YES! It is the handshot .. unfair advantage!

Uh-oh ... I just realized. I LOVE the setting in the handshot, however, I KNOW that SG would look FAB on your hand.
Now I''ve seen them again, I actually do think I have a real preference ... It''s the SG and for a real reason ... not just b/c it''s SG!
Here it goes ...
- The SG prongs are diamond studded, the other is not
- The SG bridge is diamond encrusted, the other is not
- The SG basket is blinged out, so is the other so they are even on this front.

It makes absolute sense now as to what was drawing me and likely you as well AND as to the price difference ... There is just more diamond, purdy pave action on the SG! Also, of impt note, b/c these pave rings are so delicate, I would trust a "designer" model over one that is not. This is just a personal preference and thought ... thought it might ring true for you too.

The SG site is very sketchy when it comes to showing rings for some reason. It''s not you. It''s the website!

Options when it comes to diamonds are the best! At a minimum it at least makes those involved more competitive, thus you end up the winner price wise.

I love the GOG idea. Maybe they already have one. What did they have to say?

Work? What''s that? This is a horrible, horrible addiction. I can''t focus anymore at work.
3.gif

What do you do?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Another thing!!

The SG has a tapered shank that thins near the head of the ring ... This will make your diamond look BIGGER!
31.gif

Whatevs to the bf & the bff -- We have a winner!
25.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a very pretty ring but like I said..I think the Simon G gives me a little more umphh!
All excellent points! You are awesome. Hmm..I didn''t think of the tapered shank as making the diamond look bigger! NICE Pro on the Simon G side! The reasons you stated are EXACLTY why I love the Simon G more. I am a PAVE WHORE and that one is dripping with it! I totally agree, with Pave work I entrust a designer brand over a non-d brand.
I haven''t gone to GOG yet. I tried yesterday but my stupid computer always has problems with the video
33.gif

I do Marketing and I have not been focused since after the holidays. The next holiday off is Memorial Day! That is NOT motivating...What about you?

Ok, let''s get organized here...

Simon G
Pros Cons
- The SG prongs are diamond studded, the other is not - Price
- Tapered head always the stone to look bigger
- Designer = better quality in the pave work

Non Simon G
Pros Cons
-Price - Less Pave detail than Simon G
-At a local J, I can see the ring on my hand..
-Pretty

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I love the pro/con list for both. I wonder if this would "sway" the bf?
Oooh ... you can add in ... on the Pro SG side, all funds directed to the blingage b/c no sales tax yet the other one, some money would be "wasted" on sales tax ... You likey?
31.gif

I''m trying really hard here. This is tough!!

I wonder if you try calling GOG and letting them know that you are trying to decide on a shape if they would be able to email you something? Hmmm? Not sure that that will help but maybe?

Memorial Day? ... No, not motivating at all. Marketing sounds fun though. I work in banking doing investigations and coordinating the investigations team. I know... I don''t appear as busy as I actually am. It''s horrible. I''ve been slacking. It''s shameful. At least its more discreet than having a crack pipe or bottle of vodka at my desk, right?

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 4:47:16 PM
I love the pro/con list for both. I wonder if this would ''sway'' the bf?
Oooh ... you can add in ... on the Pro SG side, all funds directed to the blingage b/c no sales tax yet the other one, some money would be ''wasted'' on sales tax ... You likey?
31.gif

I''m trying really hard here. This is tough!!

I wonder if you try calling GOG and letting them know that you are trying to decide on a shape if they would be able to email you something? Hmmm? Not sure that that will help but maybe?

Memorial Day? ... No, not motivating at all. Marketing sounds fun though. I work in banking doing investigations and coordinating the investigations team. I know... I don''t appear as busy as I actually am. It''s horrible. I''ve been slacking. It''s shameful. At least its more discreet than having a crack pipe or bottle of vodka at my desk, right?
HA HA! Yes, this is not illegal..at least I don''t think it is..
27.gif

Ohh good one, I''ll add it to the list! It is very hard!
I talked to Jon at GOG about Square H&A (thought that was a good compromise but they are WAY pricey..so that ones out)
I just have to figure out this: What do I like more..the fire of Princess or round. I wish he had a video of P vs RB but I coudn''t find that!
7.gif

Simon G
Pros Cons
- The SG prongs are diamond studded, the other is not - Price
- Tapered head always the stone to look bigger
- Designer = better quality in the pave work
- No sales tax (if purchased out of state)

Non Simon G

Pros Cons
-Price - Less Pave detail than Simon G
-At a local J, I can see the ring on my hand.. - $ is wasted on Sales Tax
-Pretty

____________________________________________________________________________________

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Oh too bad about the Square H&A ... that would have been a great option. Boo!

How about this ... They have videos of just RB''s and just princesses, right? Maybe, if it works for you, you can view these videos at home and see which one you like better? They may not have one comparing princesses to rounds but they may have one comparing princesses to princesses and rounds to rounds ... Maybe you have thought of this already? Sorry if you have ...

Now!! I''m so excited. I just took a mini poll here at work and the completely unbiased feedback of my colleagues - some men, some women ages ranging from 22 - 56,(not including me)
27.gif
breaks down as follows.... It''s unbiased so some is a little harsh ... sorry.
7.gif

Votes for
SG - 4
Other - 1

Votes for say SG is "cleaner and more expensive looking" and the votes again other say it is "cheaper looking and the scalloped basket (my wording - they actually just pointed and said "this thing") looks cheesy".

I tought you might be interested in this random feedback. What do you think?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Oh ... forgot to add. The 1 vote for the "other" said it was b/c with that one you wouldn''t have troubles keeping the bridge clean ... he was saying that the diamonds on the bridge might be hard to keep clean when on your finger??

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What a great poll! So funny! Hmm maybe I should take polls! Thanks for the feedback.
Cheesy? I would never think to word it like that...I can take it that''s ok!
2.gif
What a wierd comment from a guy about the cleaning aspect (for the 1 vote against Simon G)
I just read it to my bf and I just got a grumble..
3.gif

GOG doesn''t have princess video
7.gif

I HOPE that Robbins Bros has the setting! I really want to see it again and get some hand shots!
Urghhh this is so difficult!
26.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Excited?
31.gif
... Tomorrow is FRIDAY!
More ring shopping! Woo hoo!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 9:52:33 PM
Author: Angel7
Wow! What a great poll! So funny! Hmm maybe I should take polls! Thanks for the feedback.
Cheesy? I would never think to word it like that...I can take it that''s ok!
2.gif
What a wierd comment from a guy about the cleaning aspect (for the 1 vote against Simon G)
I just read it to my bf and I just got a grumble..
3.gif

GOG doesn''t have princess video
7.gif

I HOPE that Robbins Bros has the setting! I really want to see it again and get some hand shots!
Urghhh this is so difficult!
26.gif
Actually, I was a little taken aback by that comment as well and wasn''t sure if I should post it. I really LIKE the scalloped basket and think it looks lovely. I kind of wondered myself .. where''d that come from? I wouldn''t put too much faith in it as I''m sure you would find many a thing "cheesy" about the person who made the comment, if you know what I mean. I was hoping you wouldn''t find it hurtful. I''m sorry if you did.

I thought it was weird about the cleaning thing as well. I never even thought of that. I guess he is just a meticulous type person.

A grumble, huh? Not bad. It''s better than some of the alternatives, I suppose.

Can you maybe call RB and ask them if they have that style number in and if you can make an appt with someone to see it tomorrow? That might help expedite the process and that way, if they don''t have it in, they can call one of their other locations and ask them to send it over???

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 10:01:04 PM

Actually, I was a little taken aback by that comment as well and wasn''t sure if I should post it. I really LIKE the scalloped basket and think it looks lovely. I kind of wondered myself .. where''d that come from? I wouldn''t put too much faith in it as I''m sure you would find many a thing ''cheesy'' about the person who made the comment, if you know what I mean. I was hoping you wouldn''t find it hurtful. I''m sorry if you did.

I thought it was weird about the cleaning thing as well. I never even thought of that. I guess he is just a meticulous type person.

A grumble, huh? Not bad. It''s better than some of the alternatives, I suppose.

Can you maybe call RB and ask them if they have that style number in and if you can make an appt with someone to see it tomorrow? That might help expedite the process and that way, if they don''t have it in, they can call one of their other locations and ask them to send it over???
Ohh I wasn''t hurt don''t worry! That''s why there are 6 billion differnet types of rings out there. Different strokes for different folks! I don''t think it''s cheesy...but that''s ok!
3.gif
I would never think about the cleaning thing either..but prings up a good point..how would I clean that ring? Can''t use the Ultrasonic with Pave!
38.gif

Great idea, I will call tomorrow morning..and make sure they have it so I don''t waste me time or get my hopes up again to just get them crushed!
14.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Excellent! Wishing you the best day/s! I just know you are going to have a better time of it on Friday and Saturday.
Can I expect an update?
emotion-40.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Of course. I''ll update after I go to Robbins Bros! (If I go..if they have it!)

Talk to you tomorrow! Have a good night!!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Nighty night!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Sacha - Good Morning!.. I have a question regarding Rounds..

Ok are ACAs and H&A''s a "branded" cut or are all RB''s considered H&A''s? What''s the diff? Is there a branded RB that shows Hearts and Arrows better then a standard RB? Are the ACA''s much better than regular RBs?

My head is swirling..I fall asleep and all I see are round stones and princess stones floating around in my head...
32.gif

Hee hee..Diamonds are driving me crazy!
9.gif

It''s kinda fun though!
3.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Good morning, Paula! My fave PS friend!
35.gif

Good questions!! So glad to see your msg waiting here for me.
9.gif

Okay this is my understanding ...

ACA is a Whiteflash brand -- essentially the "point" of this brand is that they are the "most visually balanced diamond in the world" or basically, their focus in on cut and the diamonds selected to be ACA''s have a superior cut and have been subjected to the strict AGS grading requirements re: color/clarity etc and the WF diamond guy, forget his name, has given them his "stamp" of approval.

H&A is a visual effect resultant from a well or ideal cut diamond, let''s say, that has excellent symmetry amongst a few other things of which I forget right now. So, for example, many non-ACA diamonds, display the H&A pattern
30.gif
. I have an AGS0 or I will have one anyways and it has the H&A pattern but I didn''t pay the ACA premium to get it.

ACA is a brand, as is Hearts of Fire and all those diamonds that are touted to the best cut etc etc. My feeling is that if, by the numbers, you can get a diamond that you KNOW is well cut, and everything else checks out to your liking and a trusted jeweler or vendor has confirmed that it is a beauty ... you can also view idealscope & ASET images, if possible but ... to my point, if you can get one of these that are NOT branded, you''re in better shape b/c you will get the same superior result at a lesser price since you don''t have to pay the brand premium.

I think the luxury and appeal of the ACA is that they are with a trusted online vendor and you are pretty much guaranteed to get a superior cut diamond so it takes a lot of the guess work out of the process for people who are concerned about this, right? To answer your question more directly ... Is the ACA better than a regular RB that has the same specs/numbers/measurements etc ... nope. Not in my opinion anyways. I would say, however, that unless you have a trusted jeweler or someone you know knows how to find this type of quality stone, it is easier to just go to WF to get it than to try to find it yourself elsewhere.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Same is happening for me. I was thinking about you last night and how exciting this is and wanted to remind you that when you go shopping this weekend, remember that when you are looking at the diamonds, you can basically help streamline your process by also checking out the certs at the same time and seeing if they fall within your parameters. If they do not, NEXT ... and you can narrow your way down to one that actually "speaks" to you .. enough at least for you to know that that is what you are looking for so when you decide who you want to purchase the diamond from, you can tell them exactly what you are looking for ... make sense?

It''s tons of fun!
36.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh thanks! Your my fav!
36.gif
35.gif

Oh thank you so much for the explanation, I feel better equipped now! So many choices..so confusing. That explains a lot..thank you! Yes, I agree...I want to see the stone and right away I want to see the GIA certs to see if it falls in my parameters.
To be honest with you Sacha..I really think I''m leaning towards Round! Is that crazy? Just outta no where. I don''t know if it''s cuz I''m lazy and the rounds are easier or I have just seen so many beauties here on PS but we''ll see how I feel on Saturday I guess. Thanks again for the explanation. You know what''s tough, I have yet to talk to a jeweler who has AGS stones..can''t find one!

"I would say, however, that unless you have a trusted jeweler or someone you know knows how to find this type of quality stone, it is easier to just go to WF to get it than to try to find it yourself elsewhere."
I agree with you on this point..I feel that''s how I''ve been feeling since I just can''t seem to connect with a jeweler in terms of quality stones at a price that isn''t back breaking!
19.gif

Ok I have a MINI update for you...I called the other Robbins Bros location and they DON''T have the Simon G.
15.gif
(Good thing I didn''t waste my time going) Kinda stinks..I really need to see it again..I''m scared I may have to go back to the horrible Robbins Bros again. Big deal, I''ll be the bigger person and I just tell them I want to see the setting again..NO STONES!
Also, I called another jeweler..Merry Richards and they called Simon G for me and got pricing. Again, they do not have it in store. I guess it''s a new model and that''s the problem. The only way I could see it is if we order order it but she said she would provide me with an image to be sure it''s that one. Now, if I buy a diamond with them the setting would be $2100..so far that''s the best. Assuming they have good stones. I asked, they only carry GIA. I told her we would most likely stop in tomorrow...so there''s another option!

The plot thickens...
11.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Rounds, huh?
31.gif
I know ... It's funny how it just sort of sneaks up on you. Same thing happened with me! You just can't really explain it but likely, if you're anything like me ... you hit the nail on the head ... It's just easier to "research" a round and know what you are getting.

You know what, I don't recall seeing any AGS graded stones either. No big deal. If you can find GIA Ideals or "Excellents" your dealing with apples & apples, so you're okay.

I felt SO much better when we found Mary b/c she knew what we were looking for and better yet, what to find for us. It made the process so much more enjoyable especially since we could also no longer worry about being ripped off which was always a concern for us when dealing with other slimy vendors. Once you find a jeweler you can just and "gets" you, you will really start to enjoy this process!

I LOVE the mini update. This is ALL good. You go back to that RBros. get what you need and move on. I am SO SO excited ... This Merry Richards sounds really, really promising! Best price and GIA stones only!! Woohoo! I'm on the edge of my seat. I know that you are going to find something amazing to put in that gorgeous setting.

Did you tell her all your specs already? If not, make sure to so that she can be ready for you tomorrow!

I am sitting patiently waiting for more info. ... I love it when a plan comes together ... everything is falling into place nicely
36.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Did you tell her all your specs already? If not, make sure to so that she can be ready for you tomorrow!

I am sitting patiently waiting for more info. ... I love it when a plan comes together ... everything is falling into place nicely
36.gif

Thanks so much. It''s so nice to see how excited you are for me..someone you''ve never even met! So sweet!
1.gif

Ok, when you say did I tell her all my specs you mean like I want this color and this clarity and all that? No, she just said come in we have tons. I figure I could tell her when I go.
Although you bring up a good point..what should I say I''m looking for..

Round situation:
Hi, could you please bring me some G color that is as low as I''m willing to go. Is it ok to say that? (I only say G because I''ve been told Simon G uses G in the pave so I should try to stay at G and above so the center stones doesn''t appear yellow due to the tiny pave) - What do you think?
Carat 1.1-1.3
Clarity - Go as low as SI2 as long as it''s eyeclean. Is that good to say?
Polish/Symm - Excellent to Very good.

Ok how''s this? What am I missing? Do I need to bring up depth, table etc..cuz that''s where I get so confused! But that''s when I whip out the chart. Also, how do you know that a round has good spread? I hear that a lot.
33.gif

God the more I talk the more I realize I really have no idea what''s gonig on!
32.gif
6.gif

Thanks!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion/s would be as follows:

1. State your carat range preference --> 1.1 - 1.3
2. Color - Ask to see D - G stones ... this way you get a better idea of what "YOUR" color preference is. G would be fine given the sidestones are G, however, this way you actually get to see the only colors and figure out if you have a preference.
3. Clarity - Indicate that you would like to see a range from VS 1/2 to Si1/2 -- You are fine with Si''s providing that they are "eyeclean" & insert your definition of eye clean so that you are both on the same page, right?
4. Polish & Symm -- Ask for Excellent only. This raises the bar for her and makes her know that you are serious about quality.

You can probably tell that I was a real stickler when it came to this process.

With regards to cut I would absolutely have no hesitation with letting her know, beforehand that you are looking for stones with the following specs, cut wise.... as per your diagram above ... This way no one is wasting any one else''s time and she pulls only stones that YOU are interested in seeing.

Table - 53 - 57%
Total depth - No greater than 61% (61.something is fine ... but just gives her an idea of what you want)
Crown height - 15%
Pavillion depth - 43%
Girdle - Medium or Thin to slightly thick

You know if a round has a "good" spread if the table is not too small. if the table%, for example was 51% ... that would not be good. If you are within 53 - 57% you''re pretty safe.
Same goes for depth. A diamond that has 63% total depth as a round is just cut too deep. This will adversely affect light performance, thus you want to stick to 61% and above (60%, for example) but below 61 is getting a bit sketchy. Try to stay as close to 61 as possible.

You get the picture, right? This is all my personal preference based on what I have researched b/c remember I''m not a pro.

Remember to get all the details so that you can report back to us and we can gauge those babies and pick the best one for you!

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results