carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Engagement Ring

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1412947940|3765363 said:
It says eye clean but it looks to me as though it has a couple of carbon spots - I'd query those. I'm not worried about the ones on the back but there appears to be one to the right of the table on the video (which may have been photo shopped in the still because you can juuuust see it in my video snap below).

I agree; there are many black spots which makes me wonder how eye clean it is. Eye clean from 2 feet, yes. Eye clean from 6 inches, highly unlikely.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412944430|3765343 said:
Thought I'd post this, albeit not being an expert on pads. Those who are, please chime in! ;-)

3.55 cts
9.83 x 7.33 x 5.87 mm
Unheated
$9,763

http://www.starruby.in/store/padparadscha/3-55-carat-rare-eye-clean-vivid-orangy-pink-padparadscha-uh

It's an African stone, and for what the OP wants to spend, that might make a difference, as many purists only consider Sri Lankan gems as real padparadschas.

Here's another example of a fine padparadscha that came with an AGL report indicating it was Sri Lankan. This is one of my favorite rings ever on PS, and owned by ArtNouveau. I think it helps to see fine examples. This stone was from the 1930's and reset into this modern setting.

file.jpg

You may want to use these photos to help you in your search. Many vendors will try to pass off overly pale, brown, or too dark stones as padparadschas, and once you show them what you're looking for, they may think twice about that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Can you do a screen capture of the padparadscha ring in the Basel Gem show video? That is one heck of a padparadscha!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412965622|3765509 said:
TL,
Can you do a screen capture of the padparadscha ring in the Basel Gem show video? That is one heck of a padparadscha!

Here you go. :naughty:

giant_padparadsha.jpg

I normally wouldn't be posting so many world class examples, but the OP has a huge budget. I have to say that I love ArtNouveau's padparadscha the most though because it exemplifies the delicate color that these stones are famous for, but still quite beautiful. Hers is more orangey than the Basalworld gem.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drip, drip, drip...into my droolbucket. All the examples you posted are gorgeous but my holy grail colour is the one in the Basel Show screen capture.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412966061|3765517 said:
Drip, drip, drip...into my droolbucket. All the examples you posted are gorgeous but my holy grail colour is the one in the Basel Show screen capture.

That one is more pink than AN's, so you probably prefer a more pinkish hue on a padparadscha. AN's was deemed "classic Ceylon" by AGL, so it's probably typical of the very famed ones from that region. Both are very beautiful, but one must see some pink and some orange in a delicate balance, and NO brown.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Basal pad reminds me of Grapefruit.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1412963427|3765483 said:
Starzin|1412920097|3765254 said:
it is important to determine the size you want in mm rather than carats. This is because sapphires face up smaller than say, diamonds of the same weight. In addition, you may find a 3.5ct stone where all the weight is in the belly and not the face up size. Weight is basically irrelevant. The RWWise stone does appear to be very nice and I hope it works out for you.

Starzin,
Your post stuck with me (and I know that I know this but somehow it didn't occur to me to check) so I compared the AfricaGems and Richard Wise stones and found them to face up almost the same size. When rounded up/down, the RW 3 ct padpardscha faces up like a 2 carat stone.
RW = 3.09 ct = 8.11 x 6.18 x 6.59 mm (slightly over 90% depth)
AG = 1.75 ct = 8.17 x 5.67 x 4.41 mm (close to 65% depth)

That said, because nice looking padparaschas are rare as hen's teeth, I would not hold this against the stone. My point is to be aware of such things and understand the trade-offs (paying for carat weight you cannot see).
GOOD pickup Chrono! It's funny but that thought (of overly deep) passed through my mind when I saw the profile view of the ring but unlike you I didn't follow through on it. Your comparison just shows how important comparing mm size really is-
RW = 3.09 ct = 8.11 x 6.18 x 6.59 mm (slightly over 90% depth) = $47,000
AG = 1.75 ct = 8.17 x 5.67 x 4.41 mm (close to 65% depth) = $12,000

You're also correct in that the slight uneveness of the AfricaGems would probably not be that noticeable once set.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting those TL - I agree that you're absolutely right that it helps to see prime examples to help the OP judge that most of what he's being offered doesn't come close.

I've always drooled over AN's which is utterly gorgeous, though I think the Basle one is more of the "sunset" pad (sorry Chrono) and I personally prefer the slightly lighter ones. Mind you, I wouldn't say no!

Here's another that's famous on PS - Tgal's Amelia ring (in a setting similar to what the OP has in mind). I think the comparison photo is a good reference.

rwise-padsapphire-collage-tgal.jpg

travelinggal-amelia-pad.jpg

anImaru

Rough_Rock
Wow those are gorgeous rings.

Sorry for not updating in a while. Been really busy with work recently. I did however see some pretty pads during this time. I think I am just going to go with the Wise gem as I simply won't have much time to search for another in the next few months. It is the padparadscha from his book Secrets of the Gem Trade. Just waiting for it to be recertified since the existing cert is from 2002.

Here is the Wise gem out of the setting:

Here are two other gems I saw:
The one on the left was ~3.3 carats and other was ~2.5. I think face up size the 2.5 was similar to the Wise gem and the other was slightly larger. The 2.5 has a slightly larger window but the crystal was cleaner than the other. Both are going for ~$15K per carat. Again apologies for my poor picture taking skills.

20141018_163455.jpg

20141018_163656.jpg

20141016_142920.jpg

20141016_142938.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one you've chosen. Much nicer than the second two you posted. To my eyes it looks more orange than pink on the scale, but that could be the photography

Are you putting it back in its original setting? If so what did it look like? If not how will it be set? Sorry if you answered this.

anImaru

Rough_Rock
Here is the post with pictures of the setting it was in.

anImaru|1412902925|3765150 said:
I love the color of that africagems one as well but I really want to stay around 3 carats. I think minimum will be 2.5. Would rather increase budget than go smaller than that.

I will try and obtain more pictures from the seller of the other stone.

Also I have managed to track down the Wise gem I linked to earlier. Think it might be the best option so far. Going to find some time to go see it in person.

I am going to have it reset in a three-in-line ring with diamond half moons with the band in platinum and just the prongs for the pad in rose gold. Will most likely be getting it made by Steven Kirsch based on a PSer's recommendation.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I think that's a gorgeous stone! Please post about 100 more pics! :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the RW sapphire looks nicer than the other two pinkish ones. It is also strongly orange on my monitor but at least the cutting looks nice. I'm glad to read that you are getting the lab report updated. Please keep those pictures coming!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anImaru|1413856927|3770156 said:
Here is the post with pictures of the setting it was in.

anImaru|1412902925|3765150 said:
I love the color of that africagems one as well but I really want to stay around 3 carats. I think minimum will be 2.5. Would rather increase budget than go smaller than that.

I will try and obtain more pictures from the seller of the other stone.

Also I have managed to track down the Wise gem I linked to earlier. Think it might be the best option so far. Going to find some time to go see it in person.

I am going to have it reset in a three-in-line ring with diamond half moons with the band in platinum and just the prongs for the pad in rose gold. Will most likely be getting it made by Steven Kirsch based on a PSer's recommendation.
That setting sounds amazing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get an origin on the lab report as well!!! Sri Lankan padaparadschas sell at a premium, and since you're spending a fortune on it. . . .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results