shape
carat
color
clarity

Overwhelmed, confused, and where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been lurking about for a week, and am amazed by the knowledge of the group, as well as the camaraderie. I thought we were set to buy off bluenile.com, but after reading everything here, I''m just not sure! HELP! If I could get advice as to how to find what we want, I would really REALLY appreciate it. The rings at Costco are lovely, but I''m just not sure that''s what we''re looking for. :)

I want a 1.0 carat solitaire. I don''t know what setting I like best, as I like bezel and 4 prong. I''d like platinum. I wash my hands all day at work, so I need something that can withstand that, as well as the fact I''m totally clumsy. I think our budget (his budget, I should say!) is around $5000, maybe $6000.

So, where to start? We''ve looked on a few online sites, but are lukewarm about buying online. There''s just something about seeing it in person. Also, we live in San Jose, so if you know of good places to go in San Jose/San Francisco, we could use the advice.

I''m not a fancy shmancy person, I just want a pretty, classic solitaire, at a decent price, and I don''t want my boyfriend to keel over from the stress of this! I''ve read about other people getting help to get the ring of their dreams here, so I''m hoping somebody might have the time to help us too. Also, where would you look for bands? I want a plain platinum band, and he wants a platinum band with a knurled edge (I think I spelled that right!). Thank you!
26.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Take a look at some of the vendors who post here regularly. NiceIce, Whiteflash, and Googoldgold come to mind. There certainly are many others. These all have very informative websites.

Have fun with it!

R/A

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
if you wash your hands a lot and are clumsy and like the bezel settings..i''d go for that...a lot of the vendors on here have gorgeous bezel e-rings to suit anyone''s style.

try

www.whiteflash.com
www.goodoldgold.com
www.superbcert.com
www.niceice.com
www.pearlmansjewelers.com

These will get you started..there you''ll get an idea of what kind of setting you''d like and you can also browse stones. Read all tutorials, and just have fun... if a question you need to ask hasn''t already be asked (doubtful) ask it in here...

I wouldn''t feel any stress about buying online with a REPUTABLE dealer. Many here on PS have done it. Actually, most have. Not many have been dissapointed. Fact is that reputable dealers offer no questions asked return policies and inspection periods. If you don''t like the stone, you can return it...however, doing research beforehand will help avoid the "return the stone" scenario.

Good Luck!

snlee

Ideal_Rock

I highly recommend Derco Jewelers. They are in San Jose and San Francisco. Their website is http://www.dercodiamonds.com/ Check them out. ;-)

The above mentioned websites are very good as well to take a look and see what you would like.

Good luck!

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help! I''ll try to post a picture of what I eventually get.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Honestly a 1 carat ring is not that big. Even if you wash your hands all day it shouldn''t get in the way. I would recommend a low set solitaire, like the way the authentic Tiffany''s are set. If you don''t want to buy from Tiffany''s theres lots of really good knockoffs that are set low. I''d prefer this to a bezel set. From the side & certain angles a bezel set tends to look too flat on the hand. If it''s too thick it starts to look kind of like a man''s ring. I think the solitaire is more feminine & classic. Just my opinion, don''t have to agree with me, good luck on what you decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results