shape
carat
color
clarity

Overpriced Helzbeg Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
I''m fairly new to the whole engagement ring search so forgive my ignorance...I have been looking around and finally found a ring that I like. The problem is I feel that it is a bit overpriced. It''s the Helzberg Diamond Masterpiece 1 Carat Solitaire (http://www.helzberg.com/hdsim/jsp/catalog.do?link=catalog&product_id=1611526&channelId=-10820&rootChannelName=%2FCommerce+Navigation%2F%3C%21--A--%3EJewelry&BV_SessionID=@@@@1352828948.1123030845@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddfflmllemcflgcefkdfkjdffl.0&channelName=%3C%21--A--%3EHelzberg+Exclusives&programId=51098).

The prices are from $7,799 to $9,299 for I/SI2 to H/VS2. I have read in other posts that Helzberg can be overpriced. My problem is I can''t find a setting that I like at a store. I would also like to be able to go look at a ring (as opposed to just buying it online). Has anyone seen this type of setting somewhere else? Zales has something similar in their Zales Diamond Solitaire - a 1 Carat H-I/SI2 for $6999.99 but the diamond sits a little higher (http://www.zales.com/catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?productID=15173123&queryby=c&categoryId=101&pageNum=0&sortType=rank_over+ASC%2c+rank+ASC&newFilter=0&parentSearchId=0&gnFlag=0.

They were also offering a deal ($1,000 off to start with) whereas I have read that Helzberg won''t negotiate price. Any thoughts on these stores/rings or any other ideas?

-Thanks!

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wedding;
Yeah the Helzberg diamond seems pretty expensive, especially since the setting is in 10 k white gold. For just a little bit more you could go to Tiffanys for around 10,000 and get a tiffany diamond set in platium.

The Zales diamond sounded a lot more reasonable to me but I am not an expert so someone else probably could tell you better if that stone is worth its cost.
I hope that helps

Phil

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
I would keep looking around. I can''t imagine not "hand picking" my diamond. Whether it be online or at a store, you should be able to find a diamond that is right for you based on numbers and light return. There are some excellent companies that advertise here. Take a look and let us know what you find. Good Luck!

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Hello.

Just a few thoughts as I am in a similar boat. I looked at setting at Helzberg and really liked their settings, as I could see them up front with my eye, and my girlfriend was very picky when it came to settings. It was for this reason that I wasn't planning on buying a setting online. After seeing Helzberg's prices on their stones (which were not the greatest quality - some didn't have GIA certs) I decided to go online, which led me to Pricescope in about 30 minutes. It has been 1 month since I visited Helzberg's and I just went back tonight to finalize what my decisions will be.

I am going to buy my diamond online, from a PS vendor, then I will buy my setting from Helzberg. Here at my store, they guarenteed my setting regardless if the diamond was purchased from a different source outside of Helzberg. This way, I can get the same size diamond, better color, maybe a step up in clarity, and definitely better cut... for a heck of a lot cheaper, and still have the setting that I know fits my girl's fingers, and looks great to her. I wouldn't be nervous buying a stone online, as every dealer / vendor here has a generous return policy that gives you plenty of options to return a stone should the need arise.

Just my two cents worth, hope it helps. Good luck!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
If you dont want to buy online that is of course fine, Tiffany & Co once carat solitaires start at 8000$, less then the helzberg ring you posted and that is with the platnium setting. I do not like how Helzberg put that the stones are GIA graded for fire and brillance, GIA does not currently measure these things. I would be looking for a brilliancescope report like those found at GOG if I wanted that sort of infomation. Welcome to PS! These two stones are pretty spiffy and both Dirt Cheap Diamonds and WhiteFlash offer a number of very nice settings.
1.05 G SI1 DCD 1.6 HCA 5741$

1.05 H SI1 WF 1.1 HCA 5971$

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I had no idea that prices were that outrageous for mall stores. I bought an I/SI1 H&A stone that was over a carat for under $5,500 and I thought that I might have touched on the high end.

That being said, if you want to buy from a local vendor, have you looked to see if there are any long time jewelers in your town that you might be able to work with? From what I''ve seen, the setting that you like is rather common, and something that I bet you could find at most any jeweler if you brought a picture of it. I looked to see your location and if there were any jewelers around that perhaps people had previously recommended, but you didn''t list your location. Even if you want to move quickly on everything, I think you could either save yourself some money or upgrade the diamond just by looking around a little.

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
Those prices nearly made me fall out of my chair!!!

My DH and I purchased a 1 ct. I SI1 AGS 000 diamond for $3995 a year and a half ago. The custom setting was under $1000 in white gold and had 1 ct. TW of diamonds.

My point is that if you really love the Helzberg setting, which is nothing terribly unique or difficult to reproduce IMHO, purchase the diamond either online or at a reputable B&M store where you can get information on cut, and then get the setting custom made.

With the Zales ring, an SI2 diamond may or may not be eye clean...

If you want to purchase at a B&M store, I would find a nice mom and pop store in your area and would steer clear of the "maul" stores...

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for responding! I''m having more trouble with the setting than the diamond. I wouldn''t mind finding the diamond online or through a different jeweler. The bigger problem is the setting. I really like the one at Helzberg (and haven''t seen many like it) but the woman there said the Diamond Masterpiece settings were made specifically for their diamonds and you couldn''t just put another diamond in it. Anybody know if there''s any truth to this? MrBleeker, was your ring one of their Diamond Masterpieces?

Would there be many drawbacks if I got the diamond online and then got the setting from a local jeweler? The reason I like the idea of having it set by a chain store is that you can take it in every 6 mths or so and they will check it out. If you move it could be tough to get back to the local jeweler twice a year. Is having it checked this often even necessary?

JROC

Rough_Rock
Seems like this would be an easy setting to have made by any jeweler and for much less. Am I wrong?

Also, if you purchased the ring online including the stone, you can still take it in to any jeweler to have in "checked out" as you put it. It won''t be free but that is a small price to pay so don''t make your decision of buying at a B&M on that alone.

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 1:06:44 PM
Author: wedding_crasher
Thank you all for responding! I''m having more trouble with the setting than the diamond. I wouldn''t mind finding the diamond online or through a different jeweler. The bigger problem is the setting. I really like the one at Helzberg (and haven''t seen many like it) but the woman there said the Diamond Masterpiece settings were made specifically for their diamonds and you couldn''t just put another diamond in it.
I don''t know if they will set another diamond in it, but I find it hard to believe that their setting for rounds wouldn''t hold another round - matter of fact, that''s downright insane.

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Heh, well the post above me is correct.

They told me, and I asked specifically this... "What if I had an heirloom diamond I would rather have set in your settings? Is that possible?" The settings we were looking at they said it would not be a problem at all. Well, we went back there 2 days ago, and I told them flat out I was buying my own diamond, and asked how difficult it would be to have it set there... whether they would guarentee their work in case they cracked it during setting, and they said they would guarentee it themselves. I made sure of this, and I will get it in writing before I have my stone set. I never, ever had them tell me that they can''t set a different stone (ie...not purchased from them) in a setting of theirs.

Ask them this... "If I wanted to choose a different diamond from you guys, or hand pick a different stone (bought from Helzberg), can you set that for me, in this setting I am looking at?" If they say yes... then they can set any stone in the setting you are looking at, regardless of where you get it from and they are just feeding you BS. If they say no, well they may never take the particular stone out of the setting you are looking at for reasons unknown to me.
Either way, if the stone is not permanent in the setting, they can set a diamond that you bring in, wherever you buy it from. It is just a matter of making sure they will insure their work etc etc... Sounds like the merchant gave you a whopper of a line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results