shape
carat
color
clarity

overly worried about picking a jeweler to reset my ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Folks:

Thanks for answering so many of my questions these past few days. I''m newly engaged, and am in the process of selecting a platinum setting for my three-stone emerald cut ring (which is in 14k yellow gold right now). I''m pretty much obsessing about the whole thing.

Anyway, I visited five different jewelers in the last 24 hours. A well-known store in my area will charge me $1500-2000 for a very simple setting. Two smaller stores would charge me closer to $1200. I met the jewelers at hte smaller stores, and they were very pleasant and seemed knowledgable.

Since I don''t know the smaller stores, I''m nervous about entrusting them to set my stones - I know that sounds sort of stupid, but they''re so important to me.

Should we pay the extra dollars for the piece of mind that would come with dealing with a high-end, well-known establishment?

thanks for listening. I''m SO glad I found all of you.

Mary

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
high end doesnt mean good.
Do your homework.
Check with the BBB, view the workmanship of the items in the store and talk to them.
Often the bigger places will use the smaller shops to do their setting and other work and just add a markup to it.
The guy I use for mine does just that a good 30% of the shops and a lot of the big chain stores use him for all or part of their work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results