shape
carat
color
clarity

Overindulgence of eyecandy. The Tucson gemshow, an addict’s perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

juliakaytaylor

Rough_Rock
Trade
I thought maybe since I am rarely able to post, the moderators will let me get away with a long one.

This is for those unable to attend the Tucson gem show. You CAN have too much of a good thing!

I ''came to'' somewhere in the middle of the huge GJX tent, frantically searching for the exit. It was two hours after I poked my head in the door only intending to register for attendance later in the week. When I first went in, my attention was focused like a laser moving across the shelves of cases lined with rows of every stone imaginable, ooh ahhh, "Now those are some nice pink tourmaline trillions!" and "Oh yes, look at those Paraibas" and " I''ve never seen blue zicon quite that blue before!", "Oh goodness, look at those mandarin garnet cabs..." etc. An hour and a half later though, I was only scanning, kind of in a daze, "oh, another case of emeralds, oh yes, some more piles of tanzanite, ho hum, more spess garnet and rubies" . Who would ever think it could come to that? I wonder exactly how many ping pong ball sized emeralds in one room it takes to render them unimpressive.

But then.... I turn a corner and spy a fire red spinel so bright; I''m surprised it wasn''t burning a hole right through its little pedestal. Surrounded by millions of stones of every color and shape, this little pear spinel stood out like a miniature supernova. It was definitely the maraschino cherry in the center of this particular booth of bon bons. I stood enraptured trying not to look too entranced or with too much longing (keeping a check on the drool gauge), when the lady behind the counter chuckled and offered to show me some ''other'' red spinels. By ''other'', she was referring to the cheaper variety, hehe, but I just couldn''t look at a lesser stone, no, not after that. I''m pretty sure I will never be able to afford that flaming red spinel, but I''m absolutely positive I''ll never forget it.

Well, I finally did catch sight of the tent exit after stopping to ogle some six sided honey colored natural sapphires(going back to nibble on those later!), and feeling like I might fall over if I looked at one more gemstone. I tried to navigate my way out through rows of booths whose layout seemed cleverly designed to confuse and disorient, drawing you ever deeper in though you think you are on your way out. Trails lined with treasure, enticing, seducing, beckoning to your wallet, vaporizing your will power. You know that last piece of candy you wish hadn''t eaten? Well, that''s the Tucson gemshow, just one more, o.k., one more....really, this is the last one I swear.....
14.gif

until tomorrow....
18.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Julia,
Have you hit the AGTA show yet? I heard that a good number of vendors bowed out. I'm finalising my travel plans tomorrow. Thanks!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
sounds like quite the experience!
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was a brilliant post! I really enjoyed reading it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ha, I Love it!!

Thankyou Julia, for writing such an enticingly detailed account - for those who could never attend, it was almost like being there with you..
36.gif
36.gif

your red spinel sounded lovely!

oh, except for that you do know you are breaking rule number one by showing up with no photos, right?...

*shakes fist menacingly*

he he he..
25.gif

juliakaytaylor

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Harriet, AGTA is on my list for tomorrow. I haven''t heard news as far as vendor attendance until you mentioned it. The GJX was definitely packed to the rafters though.

Kas, I missed the show the last two years, and forgot just how intoxicating/exhausting it can be. My trip today was unplanned, and I''m proud to say that I exercised incredible restraint as far as impulse buying. Whew!

juliakaytaylor

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi AJ! I must admit, you did pass through my mind today, and if the armed guards wouldn''t have had me on the ground in two seconds, I would have been sneaking phone photos for you!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 12:43:23 AM
Author: juliakaytaylor
Hi AJ! I must admit, you did pass through my mind today, and if the armed guards wouldn''t have had me on the ground in two seconds, I would have been sneaking phone photos for you!

hi lovey!
35.gif

ha ha, you create such a great visual..
so really, they don''t let you take photos? What party-poopers
38.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I snapped a few shots at the AGTA show last year. I'll see what I can do this year. Just bought my plane ticket!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 2:39:25 AM
Author: Harriet
I snapped a few shots at the AGTA show last year. I''ll see what I can do this year. Just bought my plane ticket!

36.gif
awesome H! do share if you''re able to get a few sneaky shots in.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi Julia!
35.gif

How exciting....please post more when you can!!!!!
36.gif

Lori

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a wonderful mental picture if not one for my eyes, thanks!

Laura

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
great post julia, felt like i was there
1.gif

boy, i wish i was
3.gif

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the wonderful post Julia and very impressed that you were able to hold back from buying anything. Much better will power than me :)

Looking forward to working with you next month on the pendant.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
That was a very lovely account Julia! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us who are unable to attend!
35.gif

Welcome to PScope!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results