shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Over the moon[stone]! - a glowing stone in a diamond halo

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Over the moon[stone]! - a glowing stone in a diamond hal

I saw this ring on David's FB, and thought it was absolutely lovely! Please spam us with as many pictures as you can! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GORGEOUS!!!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so into moonstones now-your ring is incredibly beautiful.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is the most beautiful Moonstone I have ever seen!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Magical. You need to be a fairy princess, or witch. ;-) appropriate for either. :)

sparkleme

Rough_Rock

Gorgeous! Congratulations on this work of art! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Do you have any tips on what to look for in a moonstone and how to find a good one? Thank you!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That is a beautiful stone & the setting is just so elegant! I am really taken aback by the stone's inner glow and, worn with your other bands, it's a perfect stack!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:love:

Oh, my goodness - that's one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen :love: Your moonstone... it glows, even in pictures, and the contrast between the ephemeral and the sharp diamond twinkle must be bewitching IRL...

I can't tell from your photos, but I'm curious - did DK use single-cut or full-cut melee? Was there any reason for choosing one over the other?

img_6025.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

EvangelineG - Thanks! I'm out of town this weekend and leaving the ring behind (sad!), but I'll try to get more photos upon my return next week!

LLJsmom - Hmm..I think I'd prefer fairy princess. ;-)

sparkleme - The biggest thing I learned is that you just cannot judge a moonstone by a photo. You really need to see it in person to evaluate its performance, so don't be shy to buy and return if possible/necessary! Most moonstones are photographed against a black background, which will always make the blue adularescence seem better than it actually is. Try to get photos against a white background, or on the hand!

Yssie - The melee is full cut. Reasons being three-fold: 1) I have all single cut melee in my ering setting and wanted something different, 2) I wanted the ring to be more modern in feel, and to me single cuts convey more of a vintage feeling, and 3) I wanted that sharp contrast you mentioned between center stone and melee, and I think single cuts would have provided a gentler, softer contrast.

TL, lambskin, AprilBaby, and endless_summer - Thank you!!!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

For funsies, I photographed the undergalleries of my moonstone ring with my ering. Hmm..I'm sensing a theme here! ;-)

uploadfromtaptalk1416000486824.jpg

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

I keep coming back to look - that moonstone is just so "magical" and the setting is perfect perfect perfect for it!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a fabulous ring, for sure. Really loving it! :wavey:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mesmerizing! Congrats on "Jewel of the Week"!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love this ring and am mesmerized by the glow of that moonstone. Barry sure had a lovely stone that was meant for that setting from David. Congrats on a beautiful RHR. :love:

lanakane

Rough_Rock

OMG, that's magical! Beautiful look!!! (Adore the crimson polish, too.) :)

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock

Oh wow :love: :love:

It's beautiful :appl: :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Never thought moonstones could be this beautiful, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the photo of the undergallery's :love:

Congrats with Jewel of the Week!!! Very well deserved. Your ring is a dreamring.

_24198.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG. :love: :love: :love: This is my favorite new ring. I love the soft glowy feel of the moonstone and the contrast the halo provides is perfect. LOVE.
It looks so beautiful on your hand too. Everything about it is perfect. Wear in health and happiness and please post many more pics. I can see why you are over the moon with this ring. Who wouldn't be! Enjoy. :appl:

img_6043.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

fantastic. otherworldly. stunning. love it- enjoy and wear in good health!!!

sparkleme

Rough_Rock

Star sparkle, did you need to look for any special specs for the moonstone shape, in order to make it work with a prong setting? I read that sometimes cabochons need to be bezel set. Thanks!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous!! It almost looks electric- stunning!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Star Sparkle, Your new ring is so so pretty. I love it paired with your diamond bands too!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hypnotic, mezmerizing, otherworldly, breathtaking. If I owned this ring, I would be incapable of doing anything other than stare at it all day.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

redwood66 - They certainly do look like they were destined to be together!

dk168 - I never thought so, either! It turned out well beyond my wildest expectations.

sparkleme - All I did was specify to DK that I'd prefer the stone to be prong set rather than bezel set, and he made it happen! Not sure if there are certain parameters for prong setting vs bezel setting, sorry.

TruLuv858 - That's a word I hadn't thought of to describe it yet, electric! You're right!

Matata - Haha, believe me, my productivity in pretty much everything has come to a massive slow-down since getting the ring!

Michelez, derbygal, m-2-b, lanakane, me&myboys, Acinom, missy, apacherose, andCalliecake - Many thanks for your kind words. They truly mean a lot coming from such a discerning group of jewelry fiends!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I never had a reason to love moonstone before. I had no idea it could be that beautiful. just wow. <3 You totally deserved that jewel of the week!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

WOW!!! Really stunning stone and setting, and it looks perfect on your hand!

Do you happen to have any pics of the unset stone, or Barry's pic? I've been searching for a good moonstone, but it's so hard to know how to evaluate based on pics. Would love to see what yours looked like!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Very tasteful. I love it. Moonstone is a cool gem indeed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

star sparkle|1416000329|3783712 said:
Yssie - The melee is full cut. Reasons being three-fold: 1) I have all single cut melee in my ering setting and wanted something different, 2) I wanted the ring to be more modern in feel, and to me single cuts convey more of a vintage feeling, and 3) I wanted that sharp contrast you mentioned between center stone and melee, and I think single cuts would have provided a gentler, softer contrast.

:wavey:

Yup, I understand completely and I would have made the same choice :sun: I would imagine the full cuts do make for a more modern feel. I would love to see your ring IRL, it must be hypnotic...

Wear it in good health ::)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks moneymeister, LoversKites, and Yssie!! I continue to be entranced by the glow, just yesterday I was wearing it and trying to get some work done on the computer and failing miserably - I kept getting distracted!!

blingbunny10 - I don't think I have Barry's photo of it anymore, but I do have some of it loose. I will post them later tonight when I get home! I just want to reiterate what I told another poster, though, that it's SO HARD to judge a moonstone from a photo. I saw photos of many and then they looked totally different IRL. So if you're able to find stones from vendors that allow returns, that's your best bet. Or since moonstone is so relatively inexpensive, you can just accumulate a stash. I currently have a loose moonstone that I never returned but rejected as a candidate for my ring, and yesterday I decided I may turn it into a pendant one of these days. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results