shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Shape Diamond Rating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Hi -

I am on the verge of buying a 3.01 ct. OVAL diamond with the following GIA rating information. I stumbled onto this site and would very much appreciate input as to whether this is a good stone for the money.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Shape: Oval
Carat Wt.: 3.01
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Cut: VG
Depth %: 67.60
Table %: 56.00
Girdle: Very Thin, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: VG
Symmetry: Good
Flourescence: None
Measurements: 10.85 x 7.74 x 5.23 mm
Price: $28,000

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numebrs don''t tell me how this one looks exactly (is it bright ? does it have a huge bow tie? - things like this that surely are important) but they give away the overall proportions (at least l/w) and size for weight.

As much as I can tell, this one is not large for its 3 cts, but the price seems to account for that. It is ''cheap'' compared to slightly larger 3 cts (THIS, for example) but priced comparable to lighter stones of similar size (2.6-2.7cts or so, same size face up - like this G-VS1 or this F-VS2).

So... it all depends on how attractive this is (something impossible to tell from those numbers alone, even regardless of the personal component of such judgement) and how strongly you feel about the 3 cts mark even though the size of the stone may not show it as much as it could.

Just my 0.2, of course. Hope if helps a bit.
34.gif

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Your comments help alot. I''m concerned about the depth percentage being so high, but was hopeful that it would lessen bow-tie appearance.

Could you explain further about it being a "light 3 cts"? Do you mean in regards to the dimensions or in appearance?

Thanks very much.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2005 4:04:15 AM
Author: jkchan

I'm concerned about the depth percentage being so high, but was hopeful that it would lessen bow-tie appearance.
- I think that the bow tie depends on other things than depth alone; it may be true that it takes extra depth to dimish it (I am not sure of that though) but it surely is not true that extra depth is in itself effective for obviating that bow-tie.

Could you explain further about it being a 'light 3 cts'?
Do you mean in regards to the dimensions or in appearance?

- my previous post was trying to say that there are larger 3cts ovals out there, that among 3 cts pieces prices depend on size (surface area, or spread) and that I do not know how to guess how diamonds look by (those) numbers. I used the word 'lighter' above meaning 'less weight'.
Sorry for the confusing comments... the stats on lab reports really do not go a long way at all to describe cut details and looks
7.gif
so... I am left with way to much uncertain guess work. I wish I could say more...

There are relatively few ovals with stats and complete descriptions online. Stuller.com has a database with diamonds & pictures and there might be a couple of ovals with stats (GIA, Sarin and more) & pictures posted by sellers (see GoodOldGold.com and Excelldiamonds.com).

jkchan

Rough_Rock
I appreciate your help. I''m going to look at this particular stone but will also be checking out ones with better depth percentage.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results