shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval or Cushion? virtues and valuation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
We are considering oval and cushion shapes. I am looking for some feedback and comparison.

It seems that both of these shapes are subject to much variation, and are less prevalent in inventories than other shapes. Does one of these shapes have more intrinsic appeal and value than the other? Is there a difference in pricing on these stones based on the shape---for example does a cushion shape with the same characteristics and cut quality sell for the same price as the oval, or vice versa??

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Defender.
In general ovals are more "regular" in shape.
Cushions can be almost square, or almost oval- plus cushions can be either modern faceted, or have a more old fashioned facet pattern with larger facets.
You will see oval stones caragorized as "Oval Modified Brilliant"- an apt descrption, becasue modern ovals all have modern facet patterns.

In terms of value, last year I would have said they are on par, but lately cushions are so hot, I''d say you''d find higher pirces and less avaiability in attractive cushions right now.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2005 8:08:05 PM
Author:Defender
We are considering oval and cushion shapes. I am looking for some feedback and comparison.

It seems that both of these shapes are subject to much variation, and are less prevalent in inventories than other shapes. Does one of these shapes have more intrinsic appeal and value than the other? Is there a difference in pricing on these stones based on the shape---for example does a cushion shape with the same characteristics and cut quality sell for the same price as the oval, or vice versa??

Under 0.90 carat - I think they look equal cut quality being the same.

But in larger stones I think a really well cut cushion might be a bit more lively.

As far a prices go... I think you''ll find a bit of variance there, but that will be based on the 4 c''s but also the appearance will be judged too when setting the price.

Rockdoc

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One could generalzie and say that cushion cuts retain more weight from the original rough than ovals do. This can amek the economics better for cuting cushion shapes in that they''d sell for less per carat...not a whole lot less, but some. However, the market is more accpeting of oval shapes and the premimum for a well cut oval makes the financial issues less clear. Quicker turn over of inventory also allows lower mark-up that can make up for less weight retention.

It truly is a choice fo which appearance you prefer combined with enough shopping.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't telll if one might be a better buy in general. But given cushions are more popular, you may have a better chance with that asking for an oval. Nothing new there... It would be easier to compare some offers rather than theoretize about some ilusive average.

Any chance you might be buying online ?
31.gif

One more thing: again, i do not know if on average ovals arecut less deep and what not, but I believe it is easier to find an oval that is not too deep or cut bottom heavy. SO, for the same weight, ovals would be larger. And the oval cut is more suitable for lower depth, as much as I know - just try to look for cushion cuts around 60% depth and then ovals... there must be more ovals to choose from. Of course, you need just one... so if the lucky cushion cut is there, why not.

If you get to compare ovlals and cushions by numbers, look at their size not just weight.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the information. I an wondering if the size of the stone will impact your responses...We are looking for a relatively large stone in the 2.6 to 3.1 ct range.

Does this size range "generally" dictate better into a cushion or oval.... Are the proper proportions hard to meet in these shapes in stones in this size range?

dib

Shiny_Rock
i have a 3.02 cushion that is more rectangular/oval in shape (1:25) with a 59.6 depth and it looks larger than its carat weght. Most of the squarer ones i looked at were a little deeper and looked smaller. I didn''t really look at ovals, but the few i saw were nice too. I think you just need to see them side by side and decide which look you like better. I like that mine has a rect/oval look with the faceting and look of a cushion.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi-
We buy these stones ( or try to) daily.
Here''s the facts of life in the NYC diamond market...... NY usually mirrors the world market, but maybe you''llhave different experiences in a different market.

Cushions are in short supply and will bring higher prices than ovals.
If you''re looking for a 3 carat cushion, you are exactly where the high demand and low supply is. If you''re looking for G+ color- its EVEN HARDER!!!

I know because I''ve tried to locate stones in the past week.

Cutters don''t care how much weight retention they experienced- if an item is hot, and in short supply, it WILL increase the asking price.

Becuase of the wide variety of diamond categorized as "cushion" it is NOT possible to make a rule saying which one looks bigger for theweight.
It goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results