shape
carat
color
clarity

Our Engagement in the Loire Valley (including photos)!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
My fiancé S and I got engaged back in March, but I haven’t posted the story until now (whoops!). But, better late than never, I suppose. Here''s the fun story!

We picked out the stone and had the setting made last November through a retired jeweler whose grandfather had sold an engagement ring to S’s grandfather and whose father sold an e-ring to S’s Dad! We enjoyed carrying on the tradition. After the ring was sent to us for final approval, it went into a safety deposit box at the bank. I knew S would propose sometime over the next 10 months (because I’m leaving to do my dissertation fieldwork in Africa this fall and we discussed getting engaged before I left) but I didn’t know where, when, or how the proposal would happen.

Fast forward to March- it was our spring break (we’re both PhD students) and we were driving from upstate NY to DC to visit friends for a few days (or so I thought). Somewhere in PA, S pulls over, and hands me an envelope- the first of many clues that finds me phoning various friends and family members to lead me around NYC and then to Newark airport where we board a plane bound for France!!

Once on the ground in Paris, we climb into our rental car and navigate our way to the Loire Valley. S tells me we are staying in a bed and breakfast in the country. It wasn’t until we pulled up that I discovered that the “bed and breakfast” is Chateau Brissac, a beautiful old castle that is a combination of a 11th century fortress and 17th century baroque chateau- a very cool architectural amalgamation.

Our room in the chateau was simply gorgeous- original wood furnishings, authentic Belgian tapestries lining the high walls, a huge fireplace. S was planning to wait until after we’d gotten dressed up and had our private dinner in one of the chateau’s salons to propose. However, as soon as we stepped into the room, I started tearing up because I was just so overwhelmed that he’d done all of this planning for me. I started to tell him how special I felt and before I knew it, he was dropping to one knee. We were both in jeans and hadn’t showered in about 36 hours, but none of that mattered because the moment was so sincere and natural. Of course, before S even got the ring on my finger, the Marquis (who still lives in the chateau) bursts into our room to tell us that there is no hot water in our room!! A nice reminder that real life continues even when you’ve just become engaged in a castle!

Later that night we had our private dinner and then retired to our room to find champagne and a roaring fire. We went to sleep late and woke up early because we were both so excited. We spent the next day touring some other chateaux in the Loire before returning to Paris where we spend the remainder of the week.

All in all, I love the fact that, even with all of S''s careful planning, the actual proposal was still spontaneous and in the moment (so much so that the proposal even surprised him!).

Below are a few photos of the Chateau, our room (one is a “staged” proposal shot we took later in the night just for fun), and of course some ring photos!

Brissac 1.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Another shot of the Chateau

Brissac 2.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
The "recreation" proposal shot later on in our room (at least we are clean and dressed for this one!)

stagged engagement shot.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
A neat room photo (wish I could sleep in that bed every night)!

Brissac room from window.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Finally, the ring!

Ring on mantle.jpg

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Last photo- a handshot. Thanks for letting me share our proposal story!

Ring on hand (Paris).jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is, hands-down, one of the loveliest proposal stories that I''ve ever heard - congratulations!

safilyn

Rough_Rock
Eee! A CASTLE in PARIS?! With a beautiful ring?? Needless to say that''s a lot to live up to!
9.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful ring for a beautiful story...congratulations on your engagement!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow!! what a lovely proposal!! it warmed my heart, congratulations to you both! your ring is beautiful as well! enjoy!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I''m bookmarking this in case dh ever feels the need to re-propose. Gorgeous, what an engagement to remember! Specs on the stone/ring?

Thanks for sharing.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a fantastic proposal story!! I admit, I got a little misty!
2.gif
That plan must have required a lot of legwork by your dedicated FI, what a great guy he is.

Another example of how picking the ring out together, or seeing it ahead of time, in NO way has to ruin the surprise!!!

BTW, I love the prongs on your ring. They give it quite a different look than the traditional solitaire, just gorgeous.
30.gif

nessvan12

Shiny_Rock
What a SWEET proposal story!!! You two look so happy! Beautiful ring and congrats!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2007 11:30:52 AM
Author: angeline

Specs on the stone/ring?

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, right! The stone is a round brilliant, 1.4 ct, H/SI1. We thought that was a pretty good "sweet spot" in terms of stone value (i.e. just below the 1.5 price hike, near colorless but still very white, eye-clean but not overkill on the clarity, etc...)Platinum six prong setting (I'll have to post some side shots when my camera battery charges back up).

Musey- yeah, the prongs are a bit different- a bit flater than usual. We didn't ask for the prongs to be that way, but I do like the design. With these close up photos its easy to see the prongs, but from a bit futher away, they just kind of blend into the diamond so it looks like there are no prongs at all- just a diamond floating above my finger, which is kind of fun. Here's a bit of a further away hand shot so you can see what I mean.

Thank you for all of the lovely comments so far! My FI has enjoyed reading them too. Yes, he did a ton of planning, but he did most of it while I was in Africa last summer doing pre-dissertation research, so I was none the wiser. I think he did all of the planning mostly as a way to procrastinate in writing his own dissertation, but hey, I'm not going to complain!

ring outside Brissac.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your pictures!!!
30.gif
Gosh, what do you do for a honeymoon when the proposal is this exceptional??? Go to the moon or something???
2.gif

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my word!!! What a gorgeous castle, proposal and ring!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Awww! What a sweet proposal! I bet even the lack of hot water didn''t faze you two one bit
2.gif
I love the first shot of the ring, where it looks like it has picked up the pink in your dress. The prongs are lovely and unique, and the ring is a classic. Congratulations!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great proposal and you have a beautiful ring.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a proposal!! Beautiful ring and congrats!!!
36.gif
36.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Havernell, congratulations on your engagement...what a way to being your life together! I''d say the future Mr. Havernell had better start saving up for all those anniversary''s as he''s set the bar pretty high! What a wonderfully romantic engagement story! And I love the ring and the prongs!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Simply stunning...I love it! Congratulations on your engagement and thanks for sharing your new pretty with us!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a dream proposal! That''s like something out of a movie! And your ring is gorgeous! Congratulations!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a great story. The setting is so pretty and your ring is beautiful!

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful couple, beautiful story, beautiful ring. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story with us!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great location, proposal, and ring! Congratulations!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your story actually nrought tears to my eyes! Congratulations, beautiful proposal and ring!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I think that is the sweetest, most romantic, most fab story ever! Beautiful setting, gorgeous ring...thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results