shape
carat
color
clarity

Our Cushion Brilliant (prong) set in Platinum halo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pmpkn42

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring! I''m starting to really, really love halo''s!

corkstone

Rough_Rock
Custom,

Beautiful ring. I am having one built which is very similar (minus the prongs -- slightly smaller stone).

Two questions for you - 1 general, 1 personal...

1. What is the size of the accent stones?
2. I hope this isn''t rude, but what was the final cost?

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Hi Corkstone
I think the accent stone are two pointers.

The setting, handcrafted in platinum, was a bit under $2,000 including the diamonds, platinum, and the artisan''s time. I feel this was a very good value, even though we didn''t set out to find a cheap (pricewise) setting.

The overall ring came in under budget, but if I wasn''t working with the diamond broker I worked with, it would have been $15K + (most of this cost would be in the stone).

If you were to put a SI stone in place of a VS1, cost goes down again too.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Nice ring, cushions in a halo are my favorite as long as they don''t get too big and bulky. Yours is a very classy size. It most definitely has presence without being ostentatious.

To keep my own little canary cushion RHR clean I give it a sonic bath with 10 parts warm tap water, 1 part ammonia, and 1 tsp Dawn dish detergent followed by a warm water sonic rinse. I got the little plug-in Connouseurs machine at wallmart and was skeptical of it since it is not ULTRAsonic, but it really gets the job done. My diamond line bracelet never got completely clean with the brush/jewelry cleaner routine since the brush couldn''t get between and underneath the stones very well. But after just one dip in the sonic bath, all the dirt buildup was gone and it sparkled like new! I couldn''t believe it.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring! and absolutely great photos, wonderful at capturing all the detail (love the milgrained edges) - thanks for sharing and congratulations on a fabulous ring to mark your engagement!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 3:47:41 PM
Author: customcushion
Hi Corkstone
I think the accent stone are two pointers.

The setting, handcrafted in platinum, was a bit under $2,000 including the diamonds, platinum, and the artisan''s time. I feel this was a very good value, even though we didn''t set out to find a cheap (pricewise) setting.

The overall ring came in under budget, but if I wasn''t working with the diamond broker I worked with, it would have been $15K + (most of this cost would be in the stone).

If you were to put a SI stone in place of a VS1, cost goes down again too.
$2K for that setting? That is the steal of the century and I mean that in the most positive way. The jeweler who did that milgraining was truly an artisan and very, very skilled.

The ring is lovely, and I already knew the stone you picked out was fab
36.gif

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
purrfectpear, You''re right, it was a metziah

The mother of a good friend of mine manages a very large diamond importing business. While I was being quoted 30K for a not as nice RB halo ring at a maul store, I texted my friend, and set up an appointment with her mom the next day.

I met with them (The manager and her diamond guy), gave them my vision for the ring, and discussed cushions. Even though I thought I was going to buy a ring that day (I''m impulsive!) he wouldn''t sell me the sparkly (and cheap!) 1,5ct cushion they had in stock (they said the inclusion was too noticeable - what do I know ?
3.gif
), and the G vvs1 was a little too square for my taste. We decided we''d have to source the stone from outside Canada.

My guy was flying out to Antwerp the next day, and looked there for one. He didn''t find the size/colour/cut combo we wanted, and advised that better cushions were waiting for him in Israel in a few weeks. Apparently, the cushion market is flooded with poorly cut stones right now, stones with carbon inclusions etc. As many on this board can attest, finding the right Cushion Brilliant can take time
2.gif

The week after, his Israeli counterpart called him up and said he had three honeys in our sweetspot on the way to JCK. My guy looked at those three, and every other cushion at JCK in our range, and brought back two.

We chose the G VS1 you see in the ring, and he had it set by his jeweler in Toronto, who is the only jeweler they let work on pieces they sell directly to private clients.

I know anytime someone sells a ring to me it''s a ''retail'' transaction (since I''m a consumer), but this was as close to wholesale as I''ve seen.

Nothing but smiles over here
36.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Wow--what a beautiful ring! I really love a cushion in a halo. It looks beautiful on you!
36.gif

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks RxTechRN2b for the cleaning tips

shortee78, pmpkn42, babysteps, vespergirl and coatimundi: Thanks so much for your kind words. We love the ring too
9.gif

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Last weekend at the beach in Kincardine, Ontario

Cushion Brilliant

Measurements: 6.72 x 5.94 x 4.01 mm

Carat Weight: 1.21
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS1
Proportions:
Depth: 67.5 %
Table: 63 %
Girdle: Very Thin to Very Thick, Faceted [although no one was able to find the VTHK when we louped it unset]
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

handshot at the beach.JPG

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
On top of the last book I bought FI - Chasing Harry Winston (which she liked)

054.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results