shape
carat
color
clarity

Opposition to same sex marriage ruling

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Let's be clear about marriage. It has been appropriated by religion, and religions have no "ownership" of marriage. The origins of marriage are deeply unromantic and secular; marriage existed to protect estates and assets. These days it is different, but don't be sucked into thinking religion has ANY say on whether same sex people should get married or not. For those against it, wind your necks in and get on with your own lives...

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
A reminder that we do NOT allow religious discussion on PS. Please keep the discussion to the ruling if you would like to continue to discuss.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
My apologies Ella. My (now deleted) posts about Pulpit Freedom Sunday and the Hobby Lobby ruling were in response to other posters talking about these issues, perhaps I should have quoted them to keep context. May I repost them in the freedom of speech and freedom of religion thread in Around the World?

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Oops am sorry too, but just to clarify I liked the tone of this thread that appears to support it. :)

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Getting back to the issue of equality, I just wanted to share my own personal experience.

Back in the late 70's early eighties, my dad's sister divorced her husband & came out. Everyone initially was aghast. Remember the atmosphere in the 70's? Our family holds midwestern values--Christian, pretty conservative, upper middle class, college educated, white collar--the epitome of the white picket fence. Being gay was a closely held secret back in those days.

When she came out I was in my early 20's & her mother (my grandmother) broke off ties with her. A few years later, my EXTREMELY conservative mother had Thanksgiving & invited my Aunt and convinced Grandma to come. That initiated the thaw. They healed the rift, & Grandma and the entire family came to love her partner. Now, my aunt & her partner are married. They've been together 30 plus years. Their wedding was really a beautiful ceremony.

Fast forward 30+ years: I go to a gym religiously. One of my gym friends quickly became one of my very best friends. He is gay. He would be my 2nd phone call (1st husband :) ) in life if something major happened. He is a dear person. He & his partner do not want to get married. They've been together for 20 years.

My husband & I--a few years ago--realized our son is gay. He is our only. I am so thankful in so many ways. He is my love. My personal experiences from my Aunt, to my gym friend, to my son, has made me come to realize that for EVERYONE, anyone, no matter what--should be treated & afforded the exact same rights as anyone else.

And here's my point:

For some on this thread, who have not had direct & personal experience thinking though the issue from my vantage point, may or may not, come to the same conclusions I have. I've simply adopted the perspective, of: if it bothers some people, big deal. Not going to let it ruin my day. Our family has so much to be thankful for in the big picture. I've watched my Grandmother, (Grandfather had already passed) Father and Mother come to the same conclusion--I am thankful they had the courage back in those early days when it was such a taboo subject to be so accepting. I understand how this can be such a polarizing topic, but it really doesn't need to be. Be with the love of your life, I know I did & he is wonderful, why should that same freedom & all that it affords--be denied to another person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1436721476|3901959 said:
Getting back to the issue of equality, I just wanted to share my own personal experience.

Back in the late 70's early eighties, my dad's sister divorced her husband & came out. Everyone initially was aghast. Remember the atmosphere in the 70's? Our family holds midwestern values--Christian, pretty conservative, upper middle class, college educated, white collar--the epitome of the white picket fence. Being gay was a closely held secret back in those days.

When she came out I was in my early 20's & her mother (my grandmother) broke off ties with her. A few years later, my EXTREMELY conservative mother had Thanksgiving & invited my Aunt and convinced Grandma to come. That initiated the thaw. They healed the rift, & Grandma and the entire family came to love her partner. Now, my aunt & her partner are married. They've been together 30 plus years. Their wedding was really a beautiful ceremony.

Fast forward 30+ years: I go to a gym religiously. One of my gym friends quickly became one of my very best friends. He is gay. He would be my 2nd phone call (1st husband :) ) in life if something major happened. He is a dear person. He & his partner do not want to get married. They've been together for 20 years.

My husband & I--a few years ago--realized our son is gay. He is our only. I am so thankful in so many ways. He is my love. My personal experiences from my Aunt, to my gym friend, to my son, has made me come to realize that for EVERYONE, anyone, no matter what--should be treated & afforded the exact same rights as anyone else.

And here's my point:

For some on this thread, who have not had direct & personal experience thinking though the issue from my vantage point, may or may not, come to the same conclusions I have. I've simply adopted the perspective, of: if it bothers some people, big deal. Not going to let it ruin my day. Our family has so much to be thankful for in the big picture. I've watched my Grandmother, (Grandfather had already passed) Father and Mother come to the same conclusion--I am thankful they had the courage back in those early days when it was such a taboo subject to be so accepting. I understand how this can be such a polarizing topic, but it really doesn't need to be. Be with the love of your life, I know I did & he is wonderful, why should that same freedom & all that it affords--be denied to another person.

Love your post Sarah and I completely agree. Love your posts too JaneSmith.

Knowing people who are gay and having gay friends makes it easy to "get" that we all deserve the right to be with the person we love and can make all the difference in someone's perspective. However what I just don't understand is why some people just don't "get" that everyone deserves that right whether or not they have experience with people who are gay. It shouldn't have to be that way but I know for some it is. Sad that still people want to discriminate like this for whatever reasons they give. It is ridiculous.

How can (otherwise) rational people not get that everyone deserves the right to pursue happiness if it doesn't hurt other people? And it in no way hurts straight people nor does it demean marriage. It strengthens marriage because when 2 people in love want to spend the rest of their lives together it is a beautiful thing.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread reminds me of my grandfather-in-law's reaction to the passing of same sex marriage (or marriage equality as I like to call it). When we first started discussing the subject of the US passing marriage equality laws, he stated that he was firmly against it. This shocked me quite a lot as he has a gay son whom he is close with - moreso than my wife's father for that matter. When I quizzed him on how he can feel so strongly against it when he has a son that is gay and has been with his partner for over 10 years, I got an answer that put tears of laughter into my eyes:

"I've been married for 50 years and I love my son; the last thing I want to see is him as miserable as I am!!!"

I nearly died of laughter, it was more the way he delivered it but it was pretty clear by his answer that he does support marriage equality. At the age of nearly 80 I feel like he is more progressive and compassionate than people half his age. :roll:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missy :wavey: I hope you are doing well! & Jordyonbass, I'd have to think the attitude of your Grandfather emanates from the wealth of age & maturity. I find older people fascinating. They are so wise.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Sarah,

He is a wise man indeed, has been a member of the Freemasons Australian branch for a very long time! For a guy nearly 80, his character and attitude are so contemporary it makes 27 year old me feel a bit old-fashioned sometimes - he owned a smart phone before I did! :lol:
This reminds me that I have been promising to take him fishing on my boat for a while now, should pull my finger out and do something about that lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results