shape
carat
color
clarity

Opposed bar cuts - barrel top or flat top?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Do any of you know if opposed bar cuts should have a barrel type top or a flatter top?

I believe I read somewhere that although the barrel top looks cool, it concentrates too much light in the middle of the stone and renders the sides less brilliant?

Thanks.

---

Hoping Zeolite, among the many other brilliant people here, sees this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as with all cutting styles, there’s no one answer to your question. It would depend on the properties of the stone that one would choose a barrel or flatter top.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Assuming the stone is a tourmaline, and it has a closed C-axis, then a flatter top would be better. If it''s open axis then it wouldn''t really matter, especially in lighter material a more domed crown could be attractive.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
So that''s it. Thanks Gene, Chrono. I''m always learning here - it''s Great. :)

---

Oh, Chrono, I have a question for you. See "Hangout".

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The other thing to consider when looking at crown styles is their height. A higher crown makes a better target for getting whacked. I think that a lower crown or better yet a checkerboard style crown makes for a more durable stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results