shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions, Suggestions re: Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LOP ~

As Storm mentioned above ... If I had enough money right now, I too would go for a DSLR in Canon! Super nice stuff! I used to be into photography big time, but that was about 20 years ago when I had the old types of SLR''s ... now they have digital and the terminology has changed along with the technology!

Maybe in a about 5 years ... I will have enough $ for the DSLR''s ... however, right now, I just want to get into the 20th century and have a nice versatile digicam.

I won''t need a digicam to photograph profess. type sporting pics, just a few here and there of my kids playing a sport, or doing a dance move for their scrap book, ... and the rest of the time will be used for family type shots, vacations, and of course ... I would love to photograph some of my jewelry!
face23.gif

I am still reading those wonderful websites ... wow, so much stuff to read and learn!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out! I really was "so" lost without you guys!
emrainbow.gif
face23.gif

I think I will be deciding this weekend what I will end up getting, I will let you know!

Have a wonderful weekend to all!
35.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 12:05:08 AM
Author: noobie
Date: 3/17/2006 6:48:38 PM

Author: lop

The guy at Best Buy (one of those Geek people) wasn''t high on the Canon Rebel, and said to move up.

I love my Canon Rebel XT. What did he say to move up to? The only thing I remember that was better at Best Buy was the the 20D. Bigger, heavier and more money.

Hi Noobie, It was either the 20D or the 30D. Probably the 20D since that is what he has to sell right now. I think the reasoning initially was the faster picture taking ability (which isn''t very important to me past a basic point). Later, after we has looked at a lot of options, I went back to the SLRs, and his comment was the if you want to go canon, you are better off stepping up to the 20D level. I was leaning away form the SLRs for now, so didn''t pursue this.

This camera selection stuff is as complicated as diamonds! I''m not a techie when it comes to photography, but I like the artsy part of it. It''s tough to sort it all out! Canon seems to have the momentum right now in digital cameras. i''m trying to figure out if it is a case of good cameras with great momentum, or if they are truely better than the others. DH has the SD550, and is very happy with it.

MS DJ -- I don''t mean to hijack your thread. I''m assuming more info the beter is good, becase I''ve certainly learned from your comments.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 7:06:41 PM

The guy at Best Buy (one of those Geek people) wasn''t high on the Canon Rebel, and said to move up.

I love my Canon Rebel XT. What did he say to move up to? The only thing I remember that was better at Best Buy was the the 20D. Bigger, heavier and more money.

MS DJ -- I don''t mean to hijack your thread. I''m assuming more info the beter is good, becase I''ve certainly learned from your comments.
Ha, ha ... Lop, Your so cute!
face23.gif

No need to appologize!
emrose.gif
I love the fact that wonderful people are contributing to the thread! The more peeps out there letting us know what they like and what they don''t like about the camera''s they have, the better off we are!
36.gif

Lop, you can join my thread anyday! Have a great weekend!
face23.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 7:06:41 PM

Hi Noobie, It was either the 20D or the 30D. Probably the 20D since that is what he has to sell right now. I think the reasoning initially was the faster picture taking ability (which isn''t very important to me past a basic point). Later, after we has looked at a lot of options, I went back to the SLRs, and his comment was the if you want to go canon, you are better off stepping up to the 20D level. I was leaning away form the SLRs for now, so didn''t pursue this.

This camera selection stuff is as complicated as diamonds! I''m not a techie when it comes to photography, but I like the artsy part of it. It''s tough to sort it all out! Canon seems to have the momentum right now in digital cameras. i''m trying to figure out if it is a case of good cameras with great momentum, or if they are truely better than the others. DH has the SD550, and is very happy with it.

Hi lop,

Forgive the rant, but that''s what I dislike about those sales guys. Sure the 20D is a better camera, and being faster is all relative. I think it''s something like 3.5 frames a second versus 2.5. I have never found the need to take so many shots like that. You alos get into flash card speed when you want to click pictures like that. The shutter delay on the XT is better than any point and shoot I''ve tried. Recommending the more expensive model is a disservice to most "normal" users since the XT is lighter, smaller and takes virtually the same pictures in most situations. This was verified by dpreviews and steves. Most would be better off upgrading the lens quality for better pictures. If the guy actually listened to what you wanted to do with the camera he should not have pointed you to the most expensive one. I looked at the 20D but found it too heavy and larger and couldn''t justify the extra money for everyday use as a non professional.

Good luck... things change so fast in digital cameras. My one year old SD500 is already obsolete!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A big difference between the rebel and the higher model is the plasic lens mount.
For someone that dont change lens a lot and isnt doing to hang a super-huge zoom off it then it should be ok.
For a pro who changes lens 10 times a day its more of an issue.
The 10d-20d have more settings and are what Id prefer but the rebel is a good solid camera.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results