shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on YG custom made setting for emerald

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As some of you already know, my DH bought me an emerald ring during our summer vacation in Slovenia. I am ecstatic with the emerald but the setting was not up to my standards and the side stones looked hazy to me.
So the moment we returned home from the vacation, I went to see my jeweler and discuss resetting (DH couldn't understand what was wrong with the original setting, hehehe!!!).
I decided that I wanted to have a yellow gold setting made with pear side stones. The side diamonds are .40 each, VVS1, D color.
Initially I wanted a shiny finish on the gold but as my jeweler is proceeding with the construction of the ring and I'm observing it through the different stages, now I think that I would prefer a brushed/matte finish.
He doesn't want to give me his opinion, because he doesn't want to influence my judgement on the matter.
I would like my dear PS friends to give me their honest opinions, because this ring is very important to me and I need to get it right!

IMG-20231013-WA0012.jpg IMG-20231013-WA0011.jpg IMG-20231013-WA0013.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! So you want to let us influence you? Are you sure?

Well, ok then. I love satin finishes. Sort of gives settings an old world feel to me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would want to see both with emerald in it before deciding - maybe google some pictures of rings with both satin and high polish? I am no help because I really like both looks...

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want to see both with emerald in it before deciding - maybe google some pictures of rings with both satin and high polish? I am no help because I really like both looks...

I've got the exact same problem @Mreader !!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CVB does a lot of satin finishes ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHjUKaSnmjV/

Here is an Emerald in a polished setting
https://www.instagram.com/p/CofydanpsBc/

Most of her Emeralds were in satin. Some of the polished settings were in white gold so I didn't post those. Anyway, here is a
link to her Instagram if you want to look through and see what you can find.

For what it's worth I think either (both) ways are pretty. Just depends on what you like to see or the effect you like your settings
to have and that can even be subjective.

Good luck choosing! Looking forward to seeing it completed!

BTW...can you ask your jeweler if you go with satin and decide you dont like it can you have it easily polished? See what he/she says.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love brushed finishes with emeralds in particular (I think CVB pieces have turned me on to the look). I think your setting looks wonderful as is, with brushed finish. You can always polish later.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Brushed would be beautiful but just to note, it doesn't last. My WF ring has a brushed band, I wear the ring maybe 2 hours at a time a few days a week and two years later the satin finish is shiny. It wouldn't stop me choosing a satin finish again though.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CVB does a lot of satin finishes ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHjUKaSnmjV/

Here is an Emerald in a polished setting
https://www.instagram.com/p/CofydanpsBc/

Most of her Emeralds were in satin. Some of the polished settings were in white gold so I didn't post those. Anyway, here is a
link to her Instagram if you want to look through and see what you can find.

For what it's worth I think either (both) ways are pretty. Just depends on what you like to see or the effect you like your settings
to have and that can even be subjective.

Good luck choosing! Looking forward to seeing it completed!

BTW...can you ask your jeweler if you go with satin and decide you dont like it can you have it easily polished? See what he/she says.

Thank you so much for these amazing photos !!!! I love all those rings! Omg! I wish I could have all of them!!!
And I will certainly ask my jeweler whether we can polish the setting later down the road, after the stones are set. My main concern would be the emerald. I know that it's a softer and more sensitive stone and ideally I wouldn't want to submit it to this if possible. We will see what he says!!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love brushed finishes with emeralds in particular (I think CVB pieces have turned me on to the look). I think your setting looks wonderful as is, with brushed finish. You can always polish later.

Yes @LightBright, I really love it the way it looks now too!!! Decisions, decisions....!!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brushed would be beautiful but just to note, it doesn't last. My WF ring has a brushed band, I wear the ring maybe 2 hours at a time a few days a week and two years later the satin finish is shiny. It wouldn't stop me choosing a satin finish again though.

Thank you for this valuable piece of information @Tartansparkles. I wasn't aware of the fact that the satin finish doesn't last. Actually I thought the opposite...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No wrong answer here! I have and love both!!!!! Can't wait to see hand shots!!!! PS--what did you do with the old setting???

cheers--Sharon

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No wrong answer here! I have and love both!!!!! Can't wait to see hand shots!!!! PS--what did you do with the old setting???

cheers--Sharon

Hello @canuk-gal ! I sold the old setting to my jeweler and I put the money towards the new setting that he's making, in order to cut down the cost!
Coming Monday, I will go to my jeweler in order to try on the setting in its current form. I realize that when I see it on my hand I will have a much better idea of what will look better on me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear yellow gold, however, I have started to have the centre stones in ocean blue such as Zircons, and green in Tourmalines and Tsavorites set in Rose Gold bezel to bring out the green in the stones for the rest of the ring to be in White Gold.

DK :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually prefer only shiny metal but in this instance, I can appreciated the brushed gold. Either way, it will be beautiful!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 for a brushed/satin finish…
Originally in a platinum setting but so happy I had it reset into a YG setting (by DK) IMG_0541.jpeg
This is so beautiful!!! I love it!!! Thank you for sharing her with us!

Reactions: EC8

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Satin or brushed is a great finish, but any scratch on the gold will shop in high relief. It will be a high polish scratch. And eventually you will get 1000 of them and it will be matte again :)

Can’t wait to see it!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've made up my mind! I won't tell what I decided! But I will tell that I went and "visited" the setting at my jeweler's today and when I put it on my finger, I knew what I wanted to do!
The ring will be finished on Thursday the latest! I will start a new thread with lots of photos as soon as I get it!!! Thank you all who shared your opinions and photos with me! Can't wait to see her finished and on my finger!!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
You're such a tease!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So i got the new ring and i started a new thread on it at "Show me the bling"!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results