shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on this setting

Mariposa_4

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for opinions on an issue with this ring setting.

It's a cathedral-style setting from Gabriel and Co. When looking at it straight on, I like how the shank tapers up toward the diamond. What is bothering me is the gaps between the tops of the shank on either side of the diamond. When I tried on this style at the jeweler's I didn't notice the gaps since the stone was larger.

The jeweler said he could remove the diamond, add gold to the ends, and then remount the diamond for about $200. I'm concerned that this would not turn out well, but the gaps do bother me.

Should I have the jeweler do this and risk ruining the setting, or just live with it until I get a bigger diamond? :wink2:

Thanks for reading.

_19344.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd live with it.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Well gosh, isn't that just the perfect excuse to have to get a bigger stone? :lol:

"Man, I have all these nice wood hangers in the closet. I really need some good designer clothes to hang on them!"

I don't think it's too bad; not enough to add gold to it, anyway!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can't tell from the photo - is there a space between the setting head and the shank where it comes up to the head, as in ... things could get caught in it? or is there just a "cut-out" that is fully surrounded by metal?

Mariposa_4

Rough_Rock
JimmiAnne, yes there is actually a space, but it's not big enough to catch on anything. It's not visible from most angles, only when you look at it from the side. The jeweler said that's just the style of the ring but with a larger stone it's not as noticeable. The one I tried on at his store before ordering it had a CZ in it that was over a carat. My diamond is .80. I would say the gap is about 2 mm.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would live with it and just view it from the top :cheeky: ...seriously, I would live with it until I was ready for an upgrade.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mariposa_4|1403229796|3696987 said:
JimmiAnne, yes there is actually a space, but it's not big enough to catch on anything. It's not visible from most angles, only when you look at it from the side. The jeweler said that's just the style of the ring but with a larger stone it's not as noticeable. The one I tried on at his store before ordering it had a CZ in it that was over a carat. My diamond is .80. I would say the gap is about 2 mm.

If I were you I would wear it for a couple of months and re-visit your feelings then.

Everyone here has advised to keep it and that is excellent advice, but I know how it is to have something you feel is a little off.
If it helps - with every setting I've ever had, something wasn't quite as I wanted. When I got my "forever" diamond I had the setting custom made, but before that just enjoyed my diamonds and ignored the slight design things I did not like in their settings.

It looks beautiful on you, by the way :appl:
More photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results