shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Princess Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bimmerman11

Rough_Rock
This is my first post (however I''ve been lurking on the forum for several months) and I just want to say that this board is a wealth of knowledge. I''d appreciate any feedback from the regulars/experts on these boards.

Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers to give me their advice.

GIA Report

Square Modified Brilliant- Princess Cut
COLOR: G
CLARITY: VS2
WEIGHT: 1.16 carat

Measurements: 5.82 x 5.81 x 3.99 mm
Depth: 68.7%
Table: 71%
Girdle: THICK TO VERY THICK
Culet: NONE
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: VERY GOOD
Fluoresecence: NONE

SARIN #''s:
Crown Angle: 45.4
Pavilion Angle: 37.4
Total Depth: 69.3

White Light: HIGH
Color Light: VERY HIGH
Scintillation: between HIGH and VERY HIGH

When I punch these numbers through the CUT ADVISER, it says that the girdle is too thick. Am I doing something wrong with my numbers? Please help me.

Also, what do you think of this diamond based on these numbers? How much would you estimate it should cost?

I''m trying to find a firey/sparkly princess cut diamond in the $7,000- $8,000 range. No smaller than one carat and no larger than 1.25.

Thanks everyone.
35.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the crown height and second pavilion angle? Do you have an ideal scope image?

With the information you''ve provided, here''s my take. The only "red flag" with the information you provided is the girdle. Usually you want the girdle to be TN, TN-M, M, M-STK, STK. That being said, if you don''t mind possibly paying a little more for a stone that will appear a little smaller than others in the same carat weight (compare the dimensions of your stone with others to see if this is the case), I don''t see a problem. The stone will probably be less likely to chip with the thicker girdle, so that''s not too bad. And, if it does not affect performance, I don''t see a problem :) Also, it sounds like a great performer! Have you seen the stone in person?

At this time I''d say this stone is worth SERIOUS consideration
36.gif

bimmerman11

Rough_Rock
How do you know this stone will look smaller than others with the same weight? I haven''t seen this stone yet but I will in the near future. I don''t think I want to spend money on a 1.16 carat stone that looks like a 1.00 carat.

I haven''t seen an Ideal Scope image of the diamond either. Where can I find that info?

Here is the rest of the information from the Sarin report.

Weight: 1.15 ct
Width: 5.77 mm
Length: 5.82 mm
Total Depth: 4.00 mm 69.3 %
Table Size: 4.08 mm 70.8%
Crown Height: 0.59 mm 10.2%
Crown Angle: 45.4
Girdle Thickness: 4.3% THICK
Girdle Min-Max: 0.0% - 5.8%
Pavilion Height: 3.12 mm 54.1%
Pavilion Angle: 37.4

I don''t see anything regarding a second Pavilion Angle.

Is there any other info I should be looking for?

Thanks.

bimmerman11

Rough_Rock
Anyone? Opinions please.
35.gif

Jenjen

Rough_Rock
I''m no expert on princess cuts, but it seems that you have plugged your numbers into the cut advisor tool, which only works for round brilliant cuts. That''s why it thinks the girdle is overly thick!

Hope that helps :)

bimmerman11

Rough_Rock
The cut advisor tool is only for rounds? Wow. I didn''t know that.

Thanks for the info.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
To see if your stone faces up as big as it should, use the following formula:

[(Carat weight)^(1/3)]*x, where x equals the diameter of a well cut princess (I use 5.6mm).

Now, on the bright side your stone has a good crown
1.gif
But, that still doesn''t tell us much about leakage and not enough about the cut. You really need an ideal scope for this. You can either buy one online (see Tools above) or see if your vendor can get you an image
1.gif
As for the other angles, there are tons of threads discussing them. You would probably have to ask the vendor to figure them out for you.

All in all it looks like this stone could be very nice!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
A quick note on my last post:

Things like this formula may no longer apply. There are new cut rules for princesses, so things may have changed. I just know that this formula will give you a BASIC idea of whether you''re close to a good size. There has just been a huge influx of new information regarding princess cut stones so all the past "rules" don''t really exist.

If you research diamond girdles, you will see that a thick girdle is not the best. BUT, it''s worse, I believe, to have a lot of variation (e.g., ETN-ETK). I would not worry about the girdle of your diamond. I think you need to see this baby to decide if it''s the stone for you
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results