shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jr28

Rough_Rock
Hello all! Just wanted to get some feedback on this round-cut diamond:

Carat : 1.42
Color : G
Clarity : VS2
Measurements : 7.26- 7.17-4.49 mm
Depth Percentage : 62.40 %
Table Percentage : 55 %
Girdle : T-STK
Culet : N
Polish/Symmetry : Ideal / Ideal
Fluorescence : None
Crown Angle : 35.0
Pavilion Angle : 41.2
Certificate: AGS

Price: $10k+

A friend of mine told me that the width and height of the diamond should be about the same, is this true? This diamond''s height and width are off by almost 0.1mm, but the AGS certificate says that the diamond has "ideal" proportions. I''m confused here.

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
You friend is wrong. The stone above looks great to me, in theory.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
it looks fabulous....nothing is "perfect" even ideal has a (narrow) range

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
This stone gets a 3.6 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right on the HCA. That''s not the best rating -- under 2.0 is what the "cut nuts" target. The stone is a little steep and deep, which can cause light loss, which is what drives the HCA score here. The Ideal rating are fairly loose, and can create not so great looking stones, so it''s important to look at things like the HCA to help screen stones, and pictures or viewing the stone live in different lighting to see how it really preforms.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I would pass on this diamond due to the 3.6 HCA score & keep looking for one that scores 2 or less. Theres a whole issue with AGS that not all of their ideal stones will rate 2 or below on the HCA. Theres a whole section on this website that explains about that. The AGS ideal grading is flawed but I understand will be revamped next year. I have looked at many AGS ideal 000 stones that scored greater than 2 on the HCA that I have passed on. Why take the chance? I''ve read many of the older threads & have assurance that the HCA is a reliable tool. You may also be interested in running your diamonds through the AGA cut analyzer at www.gemappraisers.com . These have really helped with my search! Good luck!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
jr28,
The measurements mean:
width at the narrowist point - width at the widest point - depth
Not h x w x d.

The other posters are currect in that the angles arent the best.
Id keep looking.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By numbers alone... there seems to be bigger-better-cheaper: 1.52_GVS1<10k (HCA=2)

This would likely look different than your choice (it has a larger table than the "old" AGS0 and yours has it towards the smaller end of the same range) but light return has great chances to be better.

The 1.4 weight (not quite 1.5, but about the same size, that is) makes you stone hard to 'replace' - but finding a 1.5cts G/SI1 ideal at about the same price point should not be the end of the world. Then, it iremains to be seen what SI1 means for the particular case. SI1 does not have to be worse news than VS2 as far as visible clarity is concerned.
34.gif

Here's one: 1.5_GSI1<11k

Hope the 0.2 helps.
1.gif

jr28

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all of you that replied! I was a bit worried at first after hearing about the diamond''s HCA results and how the diamond might not be that great. However, all of that went away once I saw the diamond in person. It really sparkles and is easily one of the most beautiful diamonds I''ve seen ever since I started rock-shopping!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results