shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this diamond? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blundell

Rough_Rock
Hi all--

My girlfriend and I just got engaged, and now comes the ring :). We have found an emerald-cut diamond that we both think is beautiful, but I would really like the opinion of some unbiased and knowledgable observers about the stats of the diamond--how much you think would be a reasonable price for it/whether it will be a good investment (of course, we''re not thinking we''ll sell it, but nonetheless...)/whether there are any red flags in the stats. Here are the stats from the GIA report:

Measurements: 6.51 x 4.97 x 3.41 mm
Weight: 1.01 ct
Depth: 68.6%
Table: 68%
Girdle: Very Thin to Thick
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VVS2
Color: I
Fluorescence: None

As far as the color, we compared this stone with a similarly-sized F and could not tell the difference. My questions are mostly about the "other" stats of the diamond (ie, not the C''s), which I can''t find enough information about anywhere to judge whether there are any red flags. I did read in a book somewhere that there are GIA classes I-IV, that to be in GIA class II the table (or depth, I forget which) must be less than 65%, and that "you shouldn''t buy a diamond less than GIA class II." But I don''t know how seriously to take that...the diamond looks great to us! Any help that you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Colin

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
If it was me, I'd opt for a higher polish and symmetry. They can really make a difference when it comes to sparkle. I don't know a whole lot about ECs but that depth seems pretty high to me.

ETA try this link.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 10:55:57 AM
Author:blundell
Hi all--
/whether it will be a good investment (of course, we''re not thinking we''ll sell it, but nonetheless...)

A diamond is a pretty poor investment in most cases. You would be lucky to get 50-75% of the value of any diamond on a secondary market. It''s kind of like a new car- once you drive it off the lot, it loses value.

Enjoy the ring- It sounds lovely :)

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
It''s usually recommended that you try to find depth/table % in the low 60''s in EC''s
however, that having been said, my EC has % in the 69-70 range and it sparkles like there''s no tomorrow.

have you seen this diamond in person?

EC''s more than some of the other cuts, really require a visual - you have to see it live and in person, and then make a decision based on what YOU see. It''s a very personal thing.

Now, as for price,try the ''pricescope my diamond'' option at the top of the screen and see what you can find. I did a quick search and found 1.01 carat, I color, VVS2 clarity, with depth and table around what you have listed, and the price is around $3500-$4000

oh, just an opinion - there are a lot of opinions out there suggesting that you shouldn''t go lower than a G color in an EC. they show color a lot more readily than some of the more brilliant cuts.
You can easily give a little on the clarity, go down to a VS1 or a VS2, and still get a stunning eye clean diamond, then increase the color from an I to a F or a G.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results