shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on this branded cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I was in Scottsdale this past week and went in to see some branded cushions that were being advertised in the paper. They had a great selection of larger stones, which I am looking for. They also had some loose stones, which is a first for me. I have had a hard time finding loose elongated cushions. Wow, they are gorgeous. For 2 hours I looked and played and almost walked out with this stone. But, I had a hard time getting into this because I just did not feel comfortable with the store and salesperson. Never during the entire visit, did they offer to place the stone in the little white card to show me the color. I had to ask for a loupe. I kept saying I was not sure about the H color, for me it was a color grade I did not think I would go down to. The company rep for the branded cushion kept saying what a dynamite stone it was. Well it did look nice, but my heart said wait. So, maybe I wasted their 2 hours, but I sure learned a little more.

This cushion has a faceting pattern that is different from any other I have seen. I will try to post it later.( I have the copy of the cert) So, all you cushion lovers, can you tell me anything from these numbers? It was a very sparkly stone.
Oh, and looking at the backside of the stone you could see the extra faceting around the top of the pavillion. Funny, though none of their other cushions had this?

$47,900.
Cushion Modified Brilliant
4.02 ct
SI1 (eye clean)
H
10.43 x 8.63 x 5.68
Depth 65.8%
Table 53 %
Girdle Thin to thick faceted
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence None

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,
Which brand did the store tell you they were showing you?
To the best of my knowledge there really is no "brand" called a cushion- as a matter of fact, there are quite a few different variations on the faceting pattern which are called "Cushion Brilliant" by the GIA.

As far as H color- most people find an H to be quite a "white" diamond- yet there is a percentage of folks that are far more "color-sensative" than others.
This diamond did have a GIA report, yes?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi David,

The branded cushion was a Harry Kotlar. And yes, it was GIA cert''d. I have a copy of the cert. Hey, David do you think that price reflected a premium just because it is a Kotlar? It was a beautiful stone - I''m sorta kicking myself we didn''t get it. But I think it was a little pricey. I have been aware of Kotlar cushions for some time, but never saw one. I have only been able to see elongated cushions in Michael Beaudry''s work, but they were all set.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmmm....callme ignorant- but I don''t know of Harry Kotlar- which means nothing at all- but it''s clearly not a "well known" brand.
So as far as a price premium- it is more likely that you''re experiencing the premium a B/M store charges on such a large, fine stone- rather than the diamond is such a price becasue it''s a Harry Kotlar.

As you know there are many variations- so it may be worth the premium IF you really love the stone you saw, and can manage the price. Probably no need to kick yourself- maybe the diamond is still available- have you checked with the dealer?

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
Ann,

I love the Harry Kotlar stone, but do not feel they are worth the premium. For those who don't know him the website is www.harrykotlar.com

I love his settings and will be setting my wifes cushion through him.
We are now working through Mark T. I will let you know how things turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results