shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on rings with halos....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone- hope your enjoying your weekend!!!!

I have an opinion question for anyone who wants to answer. Now that the bf and I are getting ready to look for the rock, we are having a debate as to what kind of setting to put it in. I happen to love halo settings, and he does too, but not for an engagement ring. He says it doesn''t look like an ER, just like a regular RHR or whatever. I tried to explain to him that anything goes now, and whatever people choose to wear is their business. So, my question to you guys is, what do you think? Especially for those that have rings with halos, do people ever ask if it really is an engagement ring, or have questions about it??? What have your experiences been? BF just wants me to get a "traditional" engagement ring..solitaire or non-haloish type. Let me know..thanks!!!

EZ

Rough_Rock
So, tell him that a more traditional ring would be okay but that you want sidestones -- say, about 20 of them.
31.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Yeah, maybe I will use that!!!!
emwink.gif

joadma

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of my ring with halos. It''s techinically an ering but with the 3 stones, it made me think of an anniv. band and that''s what I got it for! Sometimes I think that people might think it''s an ering, but I don''t care, I love it anyway! So, what I''m trying to say is, get what you love and don''t worry what people will think. I love rings with halos, they are so beautiful. Good luck with your decision!
face1.gif

3stoneritaniwhalos.jpg

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
My ring has a halo and no one has ever questioned if it is an engagement ring.

When people see it, they say I am lucky to have a fiance with such great taste. ;-)

dani13

Ideal_Rock
KK and Jo- your rings are so beautiful- I have admired them already...I too love rings with halos- I dont care what people think, but I want my bf to like it... his opinion counts to me. I know he ultimately wants me to get what I want, but I want him to really like it as much as I do. Well, maybe it will grow on him!!! I just need to decide if I want a cushion or an asscher for the center...what do you think?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you wear it on your left hand ring finger, people are going to assume it''s an engagement ring no matter what it is. Way back in the stone age, before I was ever engaged or married, I used to wear various diamond and colored stone rings on my left hand. Invariably, people would always ask me if I was engaged. To me, most of the rings I wore looked nothing like an engagement ring, but people just figured they were because of what finger they were on. So I agree with everyone else...get what you like and don''t worry about it. I''m betting if you love it, your bf will come to love it, too.

If we get to vote on what type of stone will go in your halo...I vote asscher!
30.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I just custom ordered a halo ring from Whiteflash (biting my nails for the next 2 weeks!)....and it''s an upgrade, and I didn''t even question that it might not look "wedding" ringish!

If you like it...that''s what really counts!!
30.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a halo ring but I think they are so beautiful. I have seen women with them on their left hand and have never questioned if it was their e-ring. I think if that''s the style you love that''s what you should get.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO, though gorgeous as an E-ring option, I do feel the halo/microsetting to be better suited for a RHR if intended to be used as an a E-ring long term. I think the style is beautiful, though not particularly classic. Of course I feel everyone should get what they want, and a setting can always be changed and upgraded later as tastes and mainstream trends do. However for many couples the E-ring purchase is a very large jewelry purchase and intended to be worn for the long run. I just see this style later being characterized by this period in time much in the way the bulky swirly YG settings were from the 80's, and for those concerned with a ring remaining more versatile over the years this design may not be the best option. The cost of a halo mounting is a considerable investment in relation to the diamond itself... just something to keep in mind for a few years down the road when one *may* grow tired of the look/trend. Please understand I mean absolutely no disrespect to those that currently have such rings - admittedly, I do admire the beauty in them greatly. Nor would I advise anyone against getting one, I absolutely feel you should get what is really calling you. These are just my thoughts re: the longevity of wearing them..

ETA: Re-reading your initial post I see the concern was not so much over what our opinions were re:halos but rather if we felt they would be recognized as an E-ring. And my answer for that would be yes, of course!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Sarita-

I really appreciate your honesty. My original intention was to answer that question about a halo ring looking like an e-ring, yes, but I also want to know everyone''s thoughts in general about them. I somehat agree with your concern about the setting being out of style in a few years- and they definitely are expensive. I keep thinking maybe I should just pour all of the $$$ I would have used on the setting into the best center stone I can get and just get a solitaire or a less expensive setting....

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Dani, I think the more that you try rings on with your bf, he will know what you really like. When my bf and I started trying on rings, he did not like the halo at all. Then I said I want a ruby as a center stone, and he wasnt certain of that at all. He was concerned what the ring would look like and what people would think. But once he saw my face when I tried on rings he really came around. My ring isnt finished yet, but I doubt anyone will ask if it is really an ering. And the funny thing is, my bf is almost as excited about the ring and its uniqueness as I am.

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Times have changed, halos are excepted as erings. It seems to me that the most important thing is that you will be "WOWED" by it, everyday, for the rest of your life.

Will your fiance have any imput as to his wedding band or will you choose it with or without his approval based solely on what you like?

FD21Bride

Shiny_Rock
You know, if your boyfriend absolutely does not like the idea of a halo for your ER. What about getting the solitaire but then having a wrap designed for a wedding band that gives an illusion of a halo? I saw a ring once that had two curved diamond wraps that fit on either side of the solitaire and formed sort of a circle around it. That might be a nice compromise if all else fails.

Good luck
19.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t personally think they look very engagement ring-y either but Im really mostly impartial on them period. They don''t knock my socks off normally. And I realize this is blasphemy but Leon''s and ritani''s don''t really do much for me. Yea pretty but nothign I think Id want. At least not right now...they don''t look "young" to me.

I think solitaires, 3 stones and ornate bands are cool but around the stones themselves it''s far too distracting.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I agree that if it''s on your left hand ring finger that people are going to think it''s an e-ring for sure. At first my bf didn''t really want to go with a halo because he thought that everyone had them, and he wasn''t sure how it would look, but when we went to Michael C. Fina and tried some rings on he thought it looked best on my hand. I have also had a lot of people think it was an antique ring which is the look we originally started off liking so I don''t know how dated it will look in 10 years, but I know that I could always wear it as a RHR if I ever get the upgrade itch and I would probably get a big ''ol solitaire. Halos were around a long time ago, a lot of antique jewelry have halos, but this is just the modern version of it IMO. I would research a little on how big of a size difference you would have in the center stone, because if size is a big deal for you the halo really makes my diamond look bigger, there is a thread in the SMTR folder that has before and after shots of other people''s rings with halos and it''s remarkable how much bigger the center stone looks, of course I''m partial ;-)

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
My fiance also disliked halos at first. A lot.

My first ring was an original antique from the early 1900''s.

He did NOT want to pull the ring from it''s original setting...until.... we saw my current setting with the pink diamonds. I happen to be obsessed with colored diamonds, and I tried on the pink halo setting (which had a GORGEOUS Asscher in it) and we both fell in love.

It truly was one of those moments where he forgot why he disliked that type of setting in the first place. Once he saw it on my hand, and the smile on my face, it made sense to him.

I consider halos to be classic. A dainty halo around a stone doesn''t strike me as a ''trend''. Like someone mentioned above - walk into an antique ring store, and you''ll see much more elaborate settings with halos. (Which were too over the top for my taste.)

But, get what you feel you''ll love for years to come. Something that says ''you'' all over it :)

Good luck! And let us know what you decide.

(Oh, and regarding that Asscher vs. Cushion question - I say ASSCHER! Although, I love cushions too.)

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question and I would love to chime in with my opinion. One of the reasons I wanted my ring to have a halo was because I don't want it to look too engagement ring-ish. Even though that is clearly what it is, as I wear it on my left ring finger, I just wasn't into the traditional e-ring style and loved the idea of making the center stone look bigger! I agree with Dazedland and KittenKat, the halo is a classic. They've been around for a long time but are making a comeback and I don't think they will ever look out of style or dated. People often ask me if my ring is antique and that's part of the reason why I love it too. Ultimately, it does come down to how much it "speaks" to you. My fiance didn't understand the whole halo thing when we were shopping around but once he saw it on my hand and saw the sparkle in my eye, he was converted--especially because he kept telling me that I was the one who had to wear it! And while I'm obviously partial to cushions, my next ring will definitely be an asscher!! Good luck and keep us posted.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes, ditto curlygirl!

My next rock will be an Asscher too!
emotion-5.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys, thanks a lot, I really appreciate everyone''s input!

I think some of you are right- I just need to try on different styles and really see what I like.

I didnt intend to make my bf out to be a controlling person who wants it his way even though I am the one who will be wearing the ring. He is actually quite the opposite, and just wants me to be happy.

Dazed- I see your point big time about the size factor with halo vs. non-halo. Size is very important to me, and since I cant have the 3 ct solitaire at this point, a halo would probably work. I can always keep it like you said and wear it as a rhr.

I will definitely keep you all posted- I am going to need all the input I can get!!!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I was loving them a couple of years ago but I think the market is just a little too saturated with them. I still like the style for occasional wear but not for an e-ring. Keep in mind you can''t wear a normal wedding them with most halos and you may end up wearing it on your right hand.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Really? I haven''t even thought of that....
emsad.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2005 8:31:00 PM
Keep in mind you can''t wear a normal wedding them with most halos and you may end up wearing it on your right hand.

if you want to wear a wedding band you just have to make sure it''s designed to accomodate one. here''s diamondlil''s pear halo with wedding band.

DCP_2124s2.JPG

firegoddess'' pear halo and wedding band

new5jkl.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
You can still wear a wedding band with a halo setting e-ring, if you want it to sit flush you need to have it custom made most likely, but you can wear a wedding band with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results