shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on half bezel setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dimitri

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking in these newgroups for several weeks and I am amazed at the amount of valuable information conveyed by the numerous participants in this forum. In a span of about 3 months I have gone from a guy who wondered what the big deal was about diamonds to someone who now finds them fascinating. I have also taken the knowledge gained from reading messages here and used it to purchase a diamond and have a custom ring made for the diamond.

I am having a bit of a dilema though. I had a custom ring maker make a half bezel setting for a 1.1 ct diamond I purchased. He had me involved during the whole process and the setting looked fantastic on its own without the diamond.

When I picked up the finished product I thought it looked great. Since then I have looked in many display windows and I have noticed that diamonds of the same size look alot bigger in prong settings. The bezel only covers about 1/4mm on each side of the diamond but since it is not elevated it seems to be hidden.

I am obsessing over this and I am actually thinking of having the ring melted and redone before I propose.

Are there any readers with 1/2 bezel solitaire settings that can tell me how they feel about their ring. Even if you dont have such a ring I would appreciate any opinions you have. Do you think this is all in my head? I just want my woman to have the very best that I can afford.

Thanks

Dimitri

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 4:05:54 PM
Author: jazmine
I do not like full bezels but I very much like 1/2 bezels. I almost got Cartier''s for my e-ring. I actually thought the diamond looked alot bigger in it. Tiffany''s Etoile is beautiful:

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_etoile.asp?
Thanks for your input, Jazmine. It is a beauty. This ring looks very similar to the e-ring i had made as far as the bezel and ring vs diamond proportions go. I''ll try and take a picture of it later so that I can post it in this thread.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
My friend has this half bezel oval: http://www.hirschfelds.co.uk/art/K-Oval%20Dia%20S.jpg
Hers is .8 c and I think it look very large in that setting!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
My ering is a half-bezel. From a distance it actually looks bigger because the bezel actually looks like an extension of the diamond. But up close, yeah, the diamond looks a bit smaller and sort of a little oval. Sometimes I wonder what it would look like in prongs but most of time I love my setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results