shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock

Hi All,

I''ve spent a lot of time reading everything I''ve found on the forums in anticipation of selecting a stone for my engagement. The time has now come, and so far I''ve found one stone in particular that is just about what I''m looking for. I''d appreciate any comments or recommendations of similar stones. Here''s a link:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_12ct_i_si1_h&a.htm

Basically, I''m looking for something around SI1, I color, Excellent cut (in all 3 categories), and about as heavy as I can get for $5500. My main concern is related to clarity... I want something that will be completely eye clean, and from what I understand, this can be achieved with an SI1 stone.

Thanks for looking.
Jonathan

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
The one you have linked looks like a very nice candidate. Have you tried the cut quality search at the top of the PS page? You can put in your parameters, search for a super cut (sparkly), and it will spit out a list of lovelies that you can pick and choose from according to your desires which include budget.

The one you have linked is quite nice. If you just want to explore your options, the steps above are one way to do so.
2.gif

Shay

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response Shay. I actually havn''t done a pricescope search in a while and will do that today.

I noticed that different stones, at least on goodoldgold''s website, have different certifications (GIA versus AGS) and therefore use different grading systems to judge the aspects of the cut, I would assume? I think I remember reading that the AGS guidelines for an excellent cut are more strict. How can I get a better idea of the quality and proportions of the cut of this stone, using the data (I can try getting the sarin data when I get home today).

jonathan

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
I just pulled up the Sarin data on the stone. The AGS view gives me the following data:

Diameter 6.72, VG
Total Depth 4.10mm 61%
Pavilion Depth 2.9mm 43.1% VG
Pavilion Angle 40.8 VG
Crown Height 1.02mm 15.1% VG
Crown angle 34.4 VG
Table Size 55.6% VG
Culet .5% Very Small VG
Girdle Min .9% Thin
Girdle Max 1.3% Medium
Girdle AVG 1.2% Thin VG
Proportion Grade 0, Very Good

Overall, not being a gemologist, this means little to me. The most meaningful data I saw was the brillancescope analysis of the diamond, which shows that it performs well. I also know that one can''t count on this solely, which is why I am concerned that the cut could be better. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Jonathan

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
From what I have read here, that cut could not be much better. It is truly one of the superideal. It is an AGS 0 which means ideal. That's all. Some AGS 0 stones will not perform well because the angles (pav. and crown) do not work together for their best look. This stone does not seem to have that problem.
9.gif
Give Jonathan a call. He is quite the cut geek and will be happy to tell you why this stone is or is not a winner. I think it looks great and would be very happy if my DH wanted to buy me one with those numbers and B-scope. Good luck.

Shay

ETA: I don't believe that GIA is grading cut on certs until 2006. Both labs are very respected. A grading document from them is quite the thing to have IMO.

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the response Shay. It is well appreciated. My contact with GOG so far has been through e-mail, and has been with Tim. Basically he just pointed me to a few stones listed on their site, which I had already seen, and which included the stone in question here. I'll still be looking around a bit to see what else I can find, but this is the closest stone I've found so far. I think I will call to speak to Jonathan soon though.

I'm still open for responses for anyone else who is kind enough to comment. Particularly, I'd like to get some responses on the clarity of this particular stone and what of the inclusions I can expect to see (or not).

Another eligible stone I have looked at is this one:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_01ct_i_si1_h&a2.htm

It looks as if the inclusions would be less noticeable, if the inclusions on either stone could even be seen with the naked eye at all. It does not seem to perform as well on the brilliancescope though.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results