shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on 1c stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyboy

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I would like any opinions on the following stones:

1)
GIA
1.00 RB
depth: 63.7%
Table: 59%
P&S G, G
Clarity: SI1
Color: F
Culet:none
Girdle: Medium to Very Think, Faceted
Meas: 6.15 x 6.22 x 3.94
Fluor: Med Blue
Notes: Contains Crystal and indented natural
Price - $5220
GEMEX - H, H-VH, H

2)
GIA
1.07 RB
depth: 60.7%
Table: 61%
P&S VG, EX
Clarity: SI1
Color: H
Culet:none
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Meas: 6.62 x 6.66 x 4.03
Fluor: None
Notes: Contains small Feather, cloud , needle and extra facet
Price - $5700
GEMEX - H, H-VH, MH-H

3)
AGS
1.001 RB
depth: 62.1%
Table: 53%
P&S EX, EX
Clarity: SI2
Color: H
Culet:razz:ointed
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Meas: 6.41 x 6.44 x 3.99
Fluor: Neglibible
Price - $5195
GEMEX - none
Crown Angle - 34.5
Pav Angle - 40.9

The first two stones did not have the CA and PA on the certs. The retailer is really pushing the GEMEX report and says it should matter more than any of the 4C''s. I know that isn''t a lot of info to go on but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are B'scope results on the 3rd? I'll bet a dime it blows away the other 2. While B'scope results are good to have there are other components about the cut that are equally important in contributing to the beauty of the stone such as it's optical symmetry.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Garry and Jon. The first stone is not worth of being considered due to its very small spread (shy of 6.2mm, instead of the usual 6.50mm); the second one doesn''t excite me, but could be pretty, whereas I have the feeling that the 3rd one is going to be quite fabulous. I would just make sure the SI2 is relatively eye-clean.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I''ll 4th the opinions voiced before me. Don''t care for the first, skeptical about the second, but like the specs you posted of the 3rd. More info would be great. Also make sure the SI2 is an eye clean SI2. And a strong recommendation for a professional evaluation and opinion.
1.gif

flyboy

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the info! All I have are copies of the lab reports and BS reports(first two stones) if that would help. I can scan them in and post them here. I was concerned about the indented natural on the first one that covers almost two full facets and am glad to hear that they have been discounted for other reasons. The second one has many needles and a cloud but looks clean to the eye. If I remember, the third has an inclusion on the table that can be seen.

Also, the only store in town that has a BS is the one with the first two stones. They gave me a 5 minutes speech about how there are no "independent" appraisers and that they will try to sell you what they have or send you to a "friend" for a better deal. But they did offer to run a BS report on any stone that I bring in and promised that it''s report will not come out as good as their stones. I guess they didn''t see the irony when I asked them about there being no independent appraisers. I have also read some reports about how easy it is too "fool" the machine in giving incorrect results so I don''t really trust them to test a stone I bring into their store.

Also, the store with the first two stones and the GEMEX BS says that you should throw the certs along with the cut out the window and base your decision 100% on the BS reports. Did I also mention that they are the only one in town that has a machine??

21.gif

I like both stores from the standpoint that they are family owned and local if anything goes wrong with the rings. Both offer good warranty and I believe that the store with the BS machine would have great customer service after the sale. Based on what limited info I have listed about the stones, would anyone strongly recommend the second or third for that price or should I keep shopping?

Thanks for the help, this is a great resource. Also, let me know if you want the certs posted.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 2:37:39 PM
Author: flyboy

The second one has many needles and a cloud but looks clean to the eye. If I remember, the third has an inclusion on the table that can be seen.

[...] Also, the store with the first two stones and the GEMEX BS says that you should throw the certs along with the cut out the window and base your decision 100% on the BS reports...

Glad the aconym of the "Brilliance Scope" is "BS" !
31.gif
What were they thinking ????
9.gif

Actually, I don''t hate the thing at all. I could even understand why the shop came up with the message "ditch cut grading" in favor of some direct measurement of optics. Those measurements need a good amount of salt to be considered a precise prediction of brilliance. AGS is revising his... GIA came up with some pretty darn different from the old type (crown & pavilion angles). Not that those are not the most important basics, but there''s more detail the eye with or without some ''scope can pic up. I am not expert, of course, but I could not say the existing cut grades are the ultimate blessing either - they are being improved upon to boot.

You can also get your own ''scope (Ideal Scope for $30, not BS ) to check the facts. I don''t think there is any other cut-grading tool buyers can manipulate themselves. There are other hand-held ''scopes of the same breed.

Between the three diamonds, I am very curious about #3 - it should be one fiery diamond if my guessing is anywhere near right. Of the three, #2 sounds more desirable as much as the darn numbers say it should be quite brilliant 9with not as much fire , but whatever), it definitely has good size for the weight... So, basically why not.

Of course there is no "independent" anything if you want to split those hairs. GIA has sponsors. Cut grading did not come from thin air either... whatever knowledge there is about diamonds comes from the trade allright.Well, so what ?
33.gif

Even the Iscope will still tell you to preffer diamonds with better optics and those might not be the cheapest - unless you get lucky to find one really nicely cut diamond that has not been branded and priced as such yet.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's option #4 (link) G SI1 this time. Looks clean to me. No B-scope , just I-scope present, & priced just between yours.

I can't say the net gives the same shopping experience as the B&M nexdoor, but if anything gets slightly unpleasant you can always post here. There are quite a few long threads mediating such "accidents" as a couple of hours delay answering e-mails and what not.
31.gif

flyboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the info. I posted the GIA cert for #2 (1.07ct) and #3(1.001ct) on the web along with the BS report.

http://www.visi.com/~amcentee/stone/

I talked with the owner of the store (30+ years experience fwiw) and he said that he could only see one inclusion in the SI2 #3 stone and that could be covered with a prong. I have not gone back to the store to look myself but talked with him on the phone.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results