shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions for the unsure and indecisive

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TalkingPoints

Rough_Rock
Hello all, and thank you in advance for any helpful comments here. I do not have a host of knowledge about this so if I have the wrong ideas or terms then please forgive.
I am looking at 2 different rocks from Whiteflash (links below)
The 1st is a superior cut and a little larger but is of a lesser clarity (I). The other specs seem pretty good
The 2nd is a good but not the best cut and a little smaller but a better clarity (F), facet, depth, polish and symmetry, which seems to stack it a little. Also an Exp Slct.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-2362007.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-798840.htm#

I guess my 1st question is IYO will the better cut make up for color differences?
2nd, Are size differences negligible because of a larger table/spread on the smaller one?
3rd, I am thinking of mounting in a 6 prong platinum ''tiffany'' - 6 because my GF is very active - will this size of stone be innapropriate?
Comments on anything else you see?

I know these are certainly not the most entertaining rocks to assess but they are what is within budget for a working student.
5.gif

Thanks a lot, this is a great C.A. site

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Tough call for me but I'm leaning towards the bigger diamond.
Any idea if she is color sensitive in regards to diamonds? I not very sensitive and I think a touch of warmth in a diamond is not to it's detriment, and I'm a clarity snob. But I'm not on the majority side here on PS.

Basically the ACA scored a 1 on the cut advisor, which I think is a nice number for a ring. (could be wrong, no expert). It's also smack in the middle of the bright-fiery spectrum so that should be balanced nicely. (for instance I wouldn't want to lose brightness for more fire, but that's very subjective).

In the pictures the arrows seem crisper in the ExSel diamond, but that's probably the focus.

Basically I'd ask for an idealscope picture of the ACA before deciding. If I was still torn between the two I'd call and ask them to pull them out and look at them and give you their opinion. From other's posts, they seem very honest in telling you which one is prettier.

Also if you heard about wf from this forum, you can ask for a discount. (I believe).
5.gif

Er, which tiffany style? Since she's active, you might want to ask them to set the diamond on the low side. The knife edge tends to be lower profile, but I have seen a lot of the other style set rather high. (from other jewelers).

ETA: oops! forgot to answer the actual questions!
1) Cut does affect the face-up color. So while they may not look the same, it shouldn't be a huge difference. (correct me if I'm wrong, guys!)
2) Even though the mm difference is small, the ACA is still closer to a .5 carat. That means it will fit better in settings designed for .5 carat ( a standard size) if you ever choose to upgrade settings for an anniversary. And bigger is bigger.
3.gif

3) I'm assuming you mean the first six-prong 'tiffany', not the knife-edge. As long as the head is in proportion to the size of the diamond (including prong width) it should look fine. You, ah, may want to remind wf of that just to be sure.
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
TalkingPoints,

The "F" and "I" are the stones' colors, not their clarities. Their clarities are VS1 and VS2, both extremely clean. Stone #1 (the larger "I") would be my choice....I like its HCA number better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results